Goodbye GOG.com

taviow

Awesome. I'm going to get;

-Jagged Alliance 2 ($5)

-Arx Fatalis ($3.50)

-Realms of Arkania 1&2 ($3)

I think I could get one more, but I'm wondering whether to get HOMM3 ($7), or one of the Age of Wonders. I loved King's Bounty, HOMM3 is supposed to be the golden classic, right? I also remember enjoying Age of Wonders II when I was younger, but don't know which one (1,2, Shadow Magic) I should get.

Awesome. I'm going to get;

-Jagged Alliance 2 ($5)

-Arx Fatalis ($3.50)

-Realms of Arkania 1&2 ($3)

I think I could get one more, but I'm wondering whether to get HOMM3 ($7), or one of the Age of Wonders. I loved King's Bounty, HOMM3 is supposed to be the golden classic, right? I also remember enjoying Age of Wonders II when I was younger, but don't know which one (1,2, Shadow Magic) I should get.

I have them all, but you can get Realms 1&2 for free with pre-order (and purchase) of the Witcher 2 from GOG.com

(I had Realms 1,2 & 3 from before the announcement.)

Edited by Gizmo

Yeah, I thought I might get 1&2 while it costs virtually nothing, then get 3 for free with my preorder if I like it.

Nobody will help me choose between AOW & HOMM? :)

edit: OK, I went with JA2, Arx Fatalis, ROA1&2 and AOW:Shadow Magic. Less than 20USD and sets me up nicely as I wind up FNV.

Yeah, I thought I might get 1&2 while it costs virtually nothing, then get 3 for free with my preorder if I like it.

Nobody will help me choose between AOW & HOMM? :)

edit: OK, I went with JA2, Arx Fatalis, ROA1&2 and AOW:Shadow Magic. Less than 20USD and sets me up nicely as I wind up FNV.

HOMM3 is certainly the best of the HOMM serie. You should still find on the web very good maps and campaign developed for it. I enjoyed AOW, but not as long as I enjoyed HOMM3.

Wow, I loaded up Realms of Arkania 1 and just couldn't do it. I've played older games, up to the late 80's, but there's just something about this particular Wizardry/Ultima Underworld look & GUI that is going to be a mission to get into. It took me ten minutes to work out how everything in character generation works, and having 6 or 7 different types of magic doesn't help, either.

For now I've retreated to Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. Playing the campaign at Normal it's quite fun, but hardly a challenge - I think that's because I'm taking a long time (+100 turns per mission) and the game gives you no incentive to hurry up. It can't compare with King's Bounty at the moment but we'll see.

Wow, I loaded up Realms of Arkania 1 and just couldn't do it. I've played older games, up to the late 80's, but there's just something about this particular Wizardry/Ultima Underworld look & GUI that is going to be a mission to get into. It took me ten minutes to work out how everything in character generation works, and having 6 or 7 different types of magic doesn't help, either.

Don't dwell to much on character creation in RoA. I found it far better to just start with few archetypes and adjust to circumstances by trail and error.

For now I've retreated to Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. Playing the campaign at Normal it's quite fun, but hardly a challenge - I think that's because I'm taking a long time (+100 turns per mission) and the game gives you no incentive to hurry up. It can't compare with King's Bounty at the moment but we'll see.

I suspect you should have played the very first Age of Wonders first (allegedly better), although by all rights Shadow Magic should be pretty fun given the reviews and user ratings it got. Haven't played it however. Number 2 is apparently also decent.

• 5 months later...

The EA deal mooted a while back probably. Which is a fate worse than shutting down in some people's eyes. :lol:

EDIT: Once again, way, way late. That's what I get for reading new posts in reverse order.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Site go poof.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Site go poof.

"No really guys, this time we're shutting down for realz"

Who knows what they're up to this time.

It's an announcement of a new publisher.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

And they're doing a livestream right now. By right now I mean they're screwing it up and all we have is black.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cdp-summer-days

Edit: It's not black anymore, we're back to the title screen.

Edited by Tale

400k plus, not bad.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ooh, all the retailer DLC is in 1.2 patch.

Hah, haircuts. Still pretty nice patch from the sounds.