I'm Commander Shepard and this is also my favorite thread on Obsidian

Pidesco

Yeah, the Vindicator is a must-have. If not as much for the PC, as Grom said, for squaddies that use ARs. Garrus and Zaeed can make do with the Avenger as they have a sniper rifle for stand-off fights, but Grunt and Samara can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn at a distance. Funny that squaddies don't share that uncanny aiming with the rest of the NPCs controlled by the computer.

Also, it's pretty stupid that only the NPC that researches weapon X is allowed to use it, and "bonus" weapons are in turn restricted to Shepard. Good thing that the coalesced.ini is there to help you around that and the fact that Zaeed doesn't have any research projects of his own. :banghead:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Also, it's pretty stupid that only the NPC that researches weapon X is allowed to use it, and "bonus" weapons are in turn restricted to Shepard. Good thing that the coalesced.ini is there to help you around that and the fact that Zaeed doesn't have any research projects of his own. :banghead:

Well, they have the FRM technology (joke) to explain it (Fabrication Rights Management). It might be stupid, but at least it's a somewhat amusing variety of it. Apart from Miranda and an additional incinerator/overloader, I'm pretty sure the squadmates didn't do much in the way of damage output (ie. their weapons don't seem to matter... at all) :p. I think this is a case where they overcompensated from me1's Wrex/+Garrus/+Ashley firing squads... :/

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Well, they have the FRM technology (joke) to explain it (Fabrication Rights Management). It might be stupid, but at least it's a somewhat amusing variety of it. Apart from Miranda and an additional incinerator/overloader, I'm pretty sure the squadmates didn't do much in the way of damage output (ie. their weapons don't seem to matter... at all) :banghead:. I think this is a case where they overcompensated from me1's Wrex/+Garrus/+Ashley firing squads... :/
I could understand if they used the FRM crap to rule out reverse-engineering and replication of the bonus weapon. But it would make sense to allow it to be used by someone else if Shepard for whatever reasons doesn't want to use it, no? And the FRM excuse simply doesn't fly when they are building weapons from scratch by virtue of NPC research.

But you are right, Bio really went overboard in limiting the combat ability of JNPCs. Maybe during testing they found that without gimping them fights were over before the player knew what was going on? I can confirm that Jack is a beast with the Claymore + Warp ammo...

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"Good thing that the coalesced.ini is there to help you around that and the fact that Zaeed doesn't have any research projects of his own."

So... you cheated yet still found the game hard? LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Welcome to my ignore list, dumbass. Population: YOU

From now on, assume that I auto-reply with "R00fles!" to whatever you have to say.

Ah the joys of forum personality clashes.

Still, with the whole Hammerhead dlc supposed to be out in a few weeks, it'll be interesting to see what exactly it adds to the gameplay.

What thoughts are there? Something similar to the Mako from ME1 with better terrain? Or more a scrolling , explore/shoot em up mini-game type?

Apart from the design concepts for the Hammerhead vehicle, I haven't really seen anything showing off what it might play like...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Or more a scrolling , explore/shoot em up mini-game type?

This sentence conjured up images of that god-awful mini-game from JE. If it's like that... *shudder*

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

"Welcome to my ignore list, dumbass. Population: YOU

From now on, assume that I auto-reply with "R00fles!" to whatever you have to say."

I shed a single tear... then I move on... *shrug*

"This sentence conjured up images of that god-awful mini-game from JE."

Meh. That mini game was fun; just out of place.

"Still, with the whole Hammerhead dlc supposed to be out in a few weeks, it'll be interesting to see what exactly it adds to the gameplay.

What thoughts are there? Something similar to the Mako from ME1 with better terrain? Or more a scrolling , explore/shoot em up mini-game type? "

It'll probably be like the mako just hopefully with less copy and paste bumpy terrain and a little tighter controlm wise. Hoepfully, with the ability to upgrade it.

When I booted up the game last night, I went straight to my gun collection and saw... THE VINDICATOR!! I was so flustered during that mission that I didn't pick up a single item while trying to close the shutters, but I must have seen the thing (when I see "gun", it's like a dog seeing "squirrel"!) and automatically grabbed it. Thank heavens. I'm bad enough at this game, and I was getting the idea that I had just royally screwed myself.

Anyway, I've recruited a few, including Jack, done Zaheed's loyalty mission... does this guy have anything to make him worth the download time??... and unlike most of you, am very much enjoying scanning planets and chatting up my crew. I also took my new-found planetary riches on a shopping spree for weapon/armor upgrades, and have completed research on Normandy's Heavy Armor Upgrade and Tarrok? Cannon Upgrade. I went through Jack's mission only dying once, lol, so maybe I'm getting the hang of combat... or maybe Jack's mission really was a piece of cake.

Thanks again for all the tips. Say, what were your favorite special powers (the one you get to borrow from a loyal shipmate?) I'm thinking Mordin's incendiary thingy, but overload seems terrific for synthetics and I've heard some people swearing by singularity. I haven't seen any of them often enough to have a clue. Your thoughts would be helpful.

Edited by ~Di

Anyway, I've recruited a few, including Jack, done Zaheed's loyalty mission... does this guy have anything to make him worth the download time??
He's probably a tie with Miranda for the most versatile squaddie, capable of dealing with barriers (conc shot), shields (disruptor ammo) and armor (grenade) - not quite as good at stripping protections as her, but on a league of his own in hurt output (+50%!). He can duke it out with the best of them, or he can stand back and do some damage with a sniper rifle. He also has the most mission comments/interjections, too. He does have something to say after almost every mission, in exchange for not having a proper conversation wheel, perhaps. His personality is pretty much a hit or miss thing though, but that's more than can be said about Jacob and some others...

Say, what were your favorite special powers (the one you get to borrow from a loyal shipmate?) I'm thinking Mordin's incendiary thingy, but overload seems terrific for synthetics and I've heard some people swearing by singularity. I haven't seen any of them often enough to have a clue. Your thoughts would be helpful.
You can select only their unlockable talents as a bonus talent. So, for instance, you couldn't choose Incinerate from Mordin (you get Neural Shock).

For a Soldier, AP or Warp ammo is probably a good choice. Or the bonus talent from the NPC that you get for the last fifth of the game... whatever you do, don't bother with Slam. It looks awesome... and that's all it's ever good for.

Edited by 213374U

He's probably a tie with Miranda for the most versatile squaddie, capable of dealing with barriers (conc shot), shields (disruptor ammo) and armor (grenade) - not quite as good at stripping protections as her, but on a league of his own in hurt output (+50%!). He can duke it out with the best of them, or he can stand back and do some damage with a sniper rifle. He also has the most mission comments/interjections, too. He does have something to say after almost every mission, in exchange for not having a proper conversation wheel, perhaps. His personality is pretty much a hit or miss thing though, but that's more than can be said about Jacob and some others...

I'll have to take him along for sure and see what he can do. Since I'm supposedly the soldier... *cough*... I was taking crewmates who had other talents. However, perhaps I should take someone who can actually kill bad guys while I'm hiding behind a damned crate!

You can select only their unlockable talents as a bonus talent. So, for instance, you couldn't choose Incinerate from Mordin (you get Neural Shock).

Rats, I knew that. Don't know what I was thinking when I asked that question.

For a Soldier, AP or Warp ammo is probably a good choice. Or the bonus talent from the NPC that you get for the last fifth of the game... whatever you do, don't bother with Slam. It looks awesome... and that's all it's ever good for.

Thanks for the tip. No Slam for me. I'll have to look up what AP and Warm ammo is all about. Good info.

If you really die a lot, or have a habit of standing around in the open, get Fortification or Geth Shield Boost. They soak up insane amounts of damage, even on harder difficulties.

EDIT: Another tip, if your teammates die often, take Grunt and level up his Krogan Berseker passive bonus until you get to Krogan Pureblood, get both Krogan Vitality upgrades (found on both Tuchanka loyalty missions) and also level up his fortification ability. You might also want to ask him about upgrades and get his uber-shotgun. Don't bother leveling up his other powers. This gives him roughly 400 shields and nearly 800 health, which regenerates at 55 health per second. He is literally invincible.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

" unlike most of you, am very much enjoying scanning planets and chatting up my crew. "

Chatting with the crew is best part of the game with possibly two exceptions you take part in later on. Scanning planets is underrated. It's a fun little mini game.

As for Zaeed. His loyalty mission was solid; but otherwise he's boring bland banal character who think he's too cute for skool. Nothing spcieal in combat that sets him a part from others.

As far as choosing which bonus power to take, as long as you have the resources you can research the advance training as often as you like and try out several different powers. I found the warp ammo to be usefu, but I usually take offensive rather than defensive powers when given the option. In fantasy games I build my mages the same way. Buffs? Who needs 'em, heh.

However, after reading WILL THE ALMIGHTY's tips for powering up Grunt... wow, I may have to change my thinking. Thanks for that tip. :lol:

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

As for Zaeed. His loyalty mission was solid; but otherwise he's boring bland banal character who think he's too cute for skool. Nothing spcieal in combat that sets him a part from others.

My sentiments exactly. They way Bio implemented him was bogus. For a a guy more vacuous than Alicia Silverstone, the least I expect is that he's packing some serious ownage. Sadly, 'twas not to be. With the half-assed convo implementation, he was obviously a last minute addition or a product of serious neglect.

Zaeed is just a bonus character. As a DLC, he can't have any real importance to the main campaign because he is completely optional.

False.

As my fellow ME lover pointed out above, his loyalty mission was solid enough to have quality even if he was boring and bland otherwise. That, coupled with DA's Shale shows that Bio do know to to make a quality DLC companion with importance to the main campaign. It's just that here they didn't do it.

I'm all for criticizing Bio for their faults, but posters coming out with stuff like "Bio can't make a depressing ending", or "DLC characters must suck" is pure lies at worst, or idiocy at best.

manthing2.jpg

Is Fortification or Geth Shield Boost better than Barrier? I picked Barrier as a contingency for when Shepard's shields run out.

GSB > Barrier > Fortification

Fortification cannot be upgraded through research. Barrier can be upgraded with Biotic research. GSB can be boosted with Tech AND Geth research. And if that's not awesome enough, level 4 GSB gives you a 10% increase to weapon damage!

manthing2.jpg

edit: oh look, there was a second page. :lol:

(Looks like I need to swap over to GSB, if I ever get the masochistic urge to complete that insanity run that ruined the game for me) :p

Edited by Nepenthe

edit: oh look, there was a second page. :lol:

(Looks like I need to swap over to GSB, if I ever get the masochistic urge to complete that insanity run that ruined the game for me) :p

Insanity run is brutally deceptive. It starts out easy enough and the difference between hardcore seems negligible. But once you get to Derelict Reaper & Collector Base, the s*** starts to hit the fan!

For maximum survivability/pwnage I recommend:

• Soldier + Geth Shield Boost + Geth Pulse Rifle (& Widowmaker) + Inferno Ammo; OR
  • Soldier + Geth Shield Boost + Revenant;

Even though the shield powers burn out pretty quick on Insanity, they're still a lifesaver when used as a second-life instant heal.

manthing2.jpg

Is Fortification or Geth Shield Boost better than Barrier? I picked Barrier as a contingency for when Shepard's shields run out.

GSB > Barrier > Fortification

Fortification cannot be upgraded through research. Barrier can be upgraded with Biotic research. GSB can be boosted with Tech AND Geth research. And if that's not awesome enough, level 4 GSB gives you a 10% increase to weapon damage!

Functionally, Barrier and GSB are pretty much the same. GSB is better for a soldier for the extra 10% damage, though. Geth Shield Strength research doesn't apply to Shepard, AFAIK.

Edit: I'm also fairly certain that when it says "shields" in the description of a certain research item, it actually means shields/barriers/armor, making the distinction essentially cosmetic.

Edited by 213374U

I am such a bastard :p

I'll happily kill bipeds, quadrupeds and tentacled beings left and right, verbally abuse, physically abuse and cheat merchants out of their profits without second thought...

but I feel bad about selling "Presidium Fish" to the Krogan on the citadel. Go figure :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

edit: oh look, there was a second page. :p

Insanity run is brutally deceptive. It starts out easy enough and the difference between hardcore seems negligible. But once you get to Derelict Reaper & Collector Base, the s*** starts to hit the fan!

For maximum survivability/pwnage I recommend:

• Soldier + Geth Shield Boost + Geth Pulse Rifle (& Widowmaker) + Inferno Ammo; OR
  • Soldier + Geth Shield Boost + Revenant;

Even though the shield powers burn out pretty quick on Insanity, they're still a lifesaver when used as a second-life instant heal.

I got as far as the Derelict Reaper before I burned out. Too much RL stuff going on to spend on grinding like that, but I think I need to complete that run and then eventually do another full run of DAO before/if I get Awakening at some point. >_<

Probably need to restart the Reaper, went in with a poor party composition and just got fed up. :p