I'm Commander Shepard and this is also my favorite thread on Obsidian

Pidesco

Gawk. Three hours, uncountable deaths to close 3 shudder doors for Archangel.... I effing hate this game. RPG? I don't think so.

Combat stinks worse than Michael Moore's toilet seat, don't it?

Restart the game (or use the save-game editor) to switch your class to soldier. You'll be fine then. :banghead:

That's what is so damned sad. I am playing a soldier! I just suck at it. :banghead:

"I hope that anyone who finds the combat frustrating/boring/un-fun -"

I don't find ME2 any of those. Just more boring and one dimensional and less fun that ME1. And, a heck of lot dumbed down. And, no matter how much NumebrsU tries to proclaim otherwise, ME2 is not hard. Hide n seek can never be hard. ME1 was much more challenging and gratifying to play because the combat was deeper, and the biotic powers were nerfed.I died probably the quatrter fot imes I did in ME1.

ME2 combat is basically ME1 combat but dumebd down much like KOTOR series is simply D&D combat but vastly dumbed down.

"ME2 is an RPG and, apart from the combat, there are some decent role-playing elements."

I agree with this 100%. Only the FOs and a few other games have better overall rping than ME2 does. The last mission alone is one of the best game sequences EVAR (with possible exception of the questionable end boss...).

Good stuff.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Gawk. Three hours, uncountable deaths to close 3 shudder doors for Archangel.... I effing hate this game. RPG? I don't think so.

:banghead: That sounds like Volo's complaint only more honest :banghead:

You have to get used to sticking in cover at all times and precise aiming.

Aim for the torso with most weapons so that the next several shots go to the head.

Really you should very rarely die in the game. On veteran I reloaded a few times on select locations, but it was often a breeze.

I'm hoping you're playing this on the PC.

Yeah, I'm playing it on the PC. I just haven't figured out the combat/power tactics needed to... not die. I'm not kidding when I say I suck at combat in this game, and I know it. Reminds me of my first game of JA2 or my first try at Firkrag. Took me three whole evenings... not hours... evenings... to kill him the first time. Once I'd figured out how to peel down his defenses and what spells he was/wasn't immune to, it was cake.

It's just that I'm not a shooter person, so it's a big learning curve for me. The story has drawn me in, I love the concept, chatting up my teammates, etc, but real-time shooter mode where they never miss but I always do... it's gonna take me a long damned time to get up to speed with this game. When I do, I'll probably end up playing it a dozen times over the next couple of years, just like I do with all my favorite games.

But at the moment, I effing hate it. :banghead:

Closing those shutter doors is a pain. I just went through that mission again this afternoon. Nice tip, Enoch, for pointing out that overload makes those flamethrower dudes explode. I did not know that. :thumbsup:

~Di, I hope you picked up the vindicator assault rifle off Garrus' couch. It's much more accurate and deadly than the default assault rifle.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I don't think that I took cover once in my 125+ hours in ME1. ME2 was pretty much the exact opposite...

EDIT: @ Mr. Insomniac: Enflame is even better.

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

am reminded of reeses peanut butter cups. bio insists on recreating a digital peanut butter cup... "two great tastes that taste great together." jade empire were a fusion o' fighting game and rpg elements. the fighting game aspects o' je were not particularly challenging, and the rpg elements were lite, but some folks enjoyed well enough. too much fighter-game for Gromnir... and we didn't like the characters or story much. je did have an intriguing setting, but if you not like fighter games aspect... me 1 were combining supposed shooter and rpg, but am thinking that few rpg folks were daunted by me 1 combat; the shootery stuff was made visual appealing but non-lethal. Gromnir, who has limited use of his left hand (nerve damage) did not require many reloads due to inability to aim or find cover. we could die in me 1 if we chose particularly stoopid tactics, but lack o' mad shooterz skillz never resulted in me 1 death for us. me 2, on the other hand...

is no way in hell Gromnir could play me 2 on the pc. sure, the game looks superior and has better interface on pc, but me 2 wasd w/o auto-cover makes pc version me 2 functional impossible for our gimpy self. me 2 has far more shooter elements than did me 1, and the rpg elements o' me 2 character generation and development is proportional reduced.

we enjoyed me 2, but in terms o' character generation, development and combat, it is only barely a rpg.

HA! Good Fun!

So sorry to hear about your damaged hand. :thumbsup: I didn't know. Anyway, I'm one of those who looked at JE and said "blech, karate game, no buy". Then a year (or maybe two) after it had come out for the PC, I was bored and desperate. I bought it, fell in love with the atmosphere and found the hand-to-hand fighting great fun (no swords or staffs for me unless absolutely necessary!). A light, bright, atmospheric fun little romp that didn't take itself too seriously, and neither did I.

ME 2 seems to me (early in the game, admitting I suck at it and suck at most shooters) to have tried to be a shooter first with RPG elements second. No inventory. No real skills to speak of. Research and scanning grinds replacing a hunt for upgrades. Combat where the other guy never misses, but the PC does and will die ugly unless crouched in cover throughout the battle... that's pure shooter stuff. I'm nothing if not tenacious, and I will hone enough skills to beat this game... but I am disappointed in the direction Bio took with ME combat. Very disappointed.

Edited by ~Di

Closing those shutter doors is a pain. I just went through that mission again this afternoon. Nice tip, Enoch, for pointing out that overload makes those flamethrower dudes explode. I did not know that. :thumbsup:

~Di, I hope you picked up the vindicator assault rifle off Garrus' couch. It's much more accurate and deadly than the default assault rifle.

:(

No, I don't think I did. Garrus was screaming at me that everything was so urgent that I didn't even slow down to grab medi-gel. I figured I could loot the place after I secured the location... and scour for ammo, since by the end of the battle nearly every one of my weapons was totally out.

Wrong.

*sigh* It's a learning curve. For me, a big one!

I prefer the combat in ME 2 to that of ME 1 for no other reason than I actually take cover. After level 20 in ME 1, I never took cover with my soldier.

After level 20 in ME 1, all the covers were the same. Looks like all the criminals in the universe use the same interior design decorator.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

No, I don't think I did. Garrus was screaming at me that everything was so urgent that I didn't even slow down to grab medi-gel. I figured I could loot the place after I secured the location... and scour for ammo, since by the end of the battle nearly every one of my weapons was totally out.

Wrong.

That was nasty mission, especially as it could be first recruitment mission. My Insane run Shepard Adept is alien lover so of course she disagreed with Miranda and didn't go for the salarian doc first. Garrus taking damage outside the screen, Miranda and Jacob die really fast, your powers are still rather gimpy or do not recharge fast enough, unlimited spawn of mobs while you try to move towards the button. I used granade laucher to kill armor and then singulatity to control 'em. Damn those Krogans could take beating and my guns (both pistols) felt like peashooter. Was hardest fight in the game for me (a lot to do with early levels and low powers, as well as minimal upgrades). Thankfully game autosaved (and ignored mobs that were still alive after 10 secs was over) and moved to cutscene. That Krogan boss killed me when I tried to circle strafe (in order to keep it away from nearly dead Garrus). I was damn pissed at that point because my last quicksave was before the last shutter... first time ever I was happy that there was autosave.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

:(

Wrong.

Since the game is divided into missions, it's advisable to create a new save before starting the next one. That way you can repeat the mission if you need to, for any reason, without losing too much of your progress. And missing the Vindicator is something I would repeat the mission over. Unless you have the Collector's Edition, there's only two other choices, one of which you already have and the other one requires you to play a certain mission in Hardcore difficulty.

In Garrus' mission you can loot the place at your leisure between waves, when Garrus says "come talk to me" over the radio, btw.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

That's one thing about ME2, many of the weapons/upgrades/etc are found rather than purchased. One thing to watch for during combat that may not be blatantly obvious; when your squadmates jump out of cover and come back to you it's generally safe to come out yourself and wander around and loot stuff. If they stay in cover then there are still bad guys around or another wave on the way.

EDIT: @ I want teh kotor 3: thanks as well. I'll try that too. :thumbsup:

Edited by mr insomniac

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Since the game is divided into missions, it's advisable to create a new save before starting the next one. That way you can repeat the mission if you need to, for any reason, without losing too much of your progress. And missing the Vindicator is something I would repeat the mission over. Unless you have the Collector's Edition, there's only two other choices, one of which you already have and the other one requires you to play a certain mission in Hardcore difficulty.

In Garrus' mission you can loot the place at your leisure between waves, when Garrus says "come talk to me" over the radio, btw.

O_o

The x360 version does this automagically - the pc doesn't?

Also, pretty much agree with the points you made earlier - and want to emphasise the way combat drones change combat on higher levels. There is no safe cover (+ there's always a flanking vanguard) ;)

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

O_o

The x360 version does this automagically - the pc doesn't?

Also, pretty much agree with the points you made earlier - and want to emphasise the way combat drones change combat on higher levels. There is no safe cover (+ there's always a flanking vanguard) ;)

The automatic save is overwritten when you start the next mission. I believe the point was to make a manual save so that you could go back even after starting something else.

The Mission Start saves get overriden when you go to a new one, Leety referred to permanent ones.

Deraldins, poppin' out of nowhere, ninjaing ur posts.

Ok. I guess the Archangel mission w. the Vindicator is something I could consider going back to even after completing some other mission, but generally, I wouldn't say it would be worth it in this game. :/

Would it be possible to somehow engineer the game so that Shepard comes out of the suicide mission as sole survivor?

Not sure. Shepard seem to die on same way

Joker can't lift him up and Shepard falls if there's no team mates alive

if he's alone in the end. I'm not sure why Bioware felt that THIS was right way to get Shepard killed, in the middle of the trilogy. Actually getting Shepard killed ain't the real problem for ME3, but the fact that you lose all your choices from the 2 previous games if you let Shepard die (if it's still true that you always have to start ME3 with default Shepard, if you got death ending in ME2).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Guest The Architect

Yeah, why include an ending in the game that won't even count for ME3? They could of just had Joker lift Shepard up and have your "punishment" for rushing through the game be all your party members die and that's it. I just hope they haven't used up the Shepard death card now, and have a possible ending where Shepard dies in ME3 and the Reapers win.

Guest Slinky

Call me pessimistic, but if there is actually an ending where the reapers win in ME3, my brains will probably need a hard reboot as a result of epic surprise. We are talking about Bio here after all.

My guess: If you go paragon through the trilogy, the galaxy will stand together against the reapers and win. If you go renegade through the trilogy, everyone is giving the finger at each other when the reapers come, but still manage to win with heavy losses.

Call me pessimistic, but if there is actually an ending where the reapers win in ME3, my brains will probably need a hard reboot as a result of epic surprise. We are talking about Bio here after all.

My guess: If you go paragon through the trilogy, the galaxy will stand together against the reapers and win. If you go renegade through the trilogy, everyone is giving the finger at each other when the reapers come, but still manage to win with heavy losses.

More like humans will be the dominating species in the galaxy in the renegade ending. Paragon: cooperation, renegade: domination.

Guest Slinky

More like humans will be the dominating species in the galaxy in the renegade ending. Paragon: cooperation, renegade: domination.

Sure, I was talking more about the end game than the ending itself.

Paragon ending: everyone lives happily ever after smiling at each other while collecting flowers.

Renegade ending: Humans go third reich, and everyone is cranky.

Paragon ending: everyone lives happily ever after smiling at each other while collecting flowers.

Yeah, but my point is that in the renegade version, people won't be "giving the finger at each other", they'll be "united" under human/cerberus rule.

bfh0na.jpg