What are you playing now

Gorth

a little bit more of NWN2OC

just got to Neverwinter itself and got silver shard #2

Nice, I'm actualy about to start another run of that myself - although I might use an old save and jump right into MotB or just go with SoZ.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

i'm only playing it in quite small increments

hasn't really fully engaged me yet, but i'll give it a chance - i've heard it does get much better after the first chapter

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

EVE, friend and I have a POS up in a W-space system so we're just clearing it out - good load of ISK so far.

You have a what in a what and you get a good load of what?

If I hadn't played EVE I wouldn't have a clue about what you just said :p

Haha, apologies. They added wormholes into EVE in the last update I think, so they lead to W-space. Basically it's like a low-sec system, except you're not in the 'real' world so you can't easily ship it all to Jita or some other hub. So we've set up a Player Owned Station to serve as a base as we salvage, mine, harvest whatever we can then (hopefully) return to normal space, sell it all get rich so we can get better ships to do it all over again.

There, that's cleared it up.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I am replaying Bloodlines a bit with a Malkavian (only playthrough I ever did was with Toreador) and it's great fun. Practically every dialogue option is a hoot & some of the NPC reactions to the PC's gibberish are priceless.

Apart from this, I'm still trudging through Darkstar One... it's beginning to feel a bit like Oblivion/Gothic 3 in space.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I am replaying Bloodlines a bit with a Malkavian (only playthrough I ever did was with Toreador) and it's great fun. Practically every dialogue option is a hoot & some of the NPC reactions to the PC's gibberish are priceless.

Indeed. One of the most satisfying playthoughs in an RPG since... well ever. It was priceless in speaking to Lacroix and because of Malkavian insight, your dialogue options as well as your.... nickname for LaCroix.

Since Im now a DPS whore Id like to view my own stats without always asking in-raid. Im perusing curse.com and see a few versions of a damage meter. Which is the best out of Skada, Recount and Deadly Boss Mod? Also, logging software is bad so if any of the above contain it you may immediately rule them out.

After replaying System Shock 2 (which was even better than I remembered, *fantastic* game) I found myself wanting some more horror-ish type of games. I borrowed Dead Space from a friend but I have to say I'm very disappointed with it. The monsters are just annoying and... loud. Don't dig it at all.

On the plus side, the visual design of everything is good. I think they could've pushed the lighting even further (I don't care if I get epilepsy damnit) but it does look wonderful overall. But yeah, very disappointed with how it plays. It's not scary at all.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Phh, the fail lies in that games cant be scary. You just go "Oh gee, another room with blood and guts smeared all over the walls? Thats really scary, Im totally scared right now.. yup.. sure am... I wish theyd throw in some totally non-clich

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Games can be plenty scary. Penumbra scared the pants off of me, and even replaying System Shock 2 scared me badly a few times (and it's like 10 years old now or whatever). I don't think System Shock 2's strength lies entirerly in its scares though (I'd still say it does a good job of it). It's mainly creepy as hell.

And the goddamn spiders are still the worst ever... I swear, everytime they jump or just skittle after me I nearly fall off my chair. Ugh.

Also, it actually amazed a bit at how well done the voices in System Shock 2 are as well. Especially the stuff like The Many and/or Shodan, which are setup to be very "hypnotic" with the wonderful distortion to go with it. It surprised me at how sophisticated many things in that game really are. I can't get over how good a game it is.

/gushing like crazy

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I certainly believe games can be scary. The first AvP made me jump out of my chair a few times. Especially the damned face huggers who fly at you and SCREAM straight from the first Alien movie when Kane was facehugged. AvP 2 failed hard and real scares though. Big problem was that AvP 2 placed the aliens in the same spot every time you played while AvP 1 randomized the alien spawns. Not only that, but the aliens in 1 were absolutely hell bent on reaching you anywhere you hid. They could even attack from the ceilings. I'm so hoping AvP 3 returns to that style (good chance too considering devs of AvP 1 are back for 3).

Doom 3 also made me jump like a kangaroo a few times. After the initial demonic invasion, I remember making my way back through an area, approaching some stairs and then having an imp climb up from under the stairs.

Resident Evil 1 got me a few times with the dogs jumping through the window & the zombie in the closet.

I recently tried System Shock 2 and I honestly wasn't scared by it. I imagine if I had played it back around its release date I would feel different about. I didn't really find BioShock scary either.

You know, a game gets a lot scarier when you like the protagonist, and have to go up against horribly disfigured (physical/mental/spiritual doesn't matter, but mainly the latter two), environment warping (blinking lamps, screen going twenties style) something that you know the character will turn into one too and suffer for all eternity. And all you have to defend yourself at best is a crappy pistol with two clips.

Related: I once read an article about how little girls in games are supposed to be scary because "at first you calm down when you see them". Riiiiight, I emerge from the bloody boss fight inside the lighthouse on a prison island where everything has gone to hell and back only to be greeted by three identical looking dead-pale little girls in similarly pale white clothes that were out of fashion for at least 200 years, they laughingly ask me if I want to play with them, and yes, my first reaction will be to ****ing calm down instead of shooting them with my trusty tommy gun.

This scene was in The Suffering btw.

Doom 3 was just annoying as hell. Youd notice a recess in a wall, you checked it to be empty, but as soon as you walked over a trigger further down the hall a monster would spawn in said recess. Juggling the flashlight was also increadibly annoying.

But I personally dont get scared of games anymore. I will get startled by sudden high noises, but thats not scared, its just a cause of anger and irritation. Kind of like when someone with a poor sense of humor wacks you in the back of the head with a rolled-up newspaper when you're busy trolling internet forums.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

FEAR scared the **** out of me. Very creepy game, no matter how clich

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The only likable character in FEAR was the supposed monster. Everyone else was either a cipher or an infuriating moron. And little girls are NOT SCARY. Even wrinkly, grimy little girls are not scary.

Also, dripping wet little girls are not scary. I rented Honogurai Mizu no Soko Kara (This Honorable Water is Very Dirty) which I think is the original little dead girl movie. Not scary. Just dirty.

Well the tentacle rape sequences were pretty startling.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I am getting close to what I think is the end now. If not scary, it at least gets very "spooky", entering the hideout of the followers of those religious nut cases. Very atmospheric indeed :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Dead Space was definitely scary at the start but rapidly became less so later on. The easiest way to make any game scarier is headphones. I replayed Dead Space with headphones on and it became much scarier even though I knew where all "booo" moments were.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Just finished what was probably the most "WTF" inducing round of Left 4 Dead I have ever played. I joined a public game of Dead Air with three other people. To protect the innocent I'll call them A, B and C. A is playing quite possibly his first game. I'm not sure just how much if any he had played, but he received "Hunter Punter" on the finale so I'm willing to bet that he hasn't been playing long. B and C apparently mostly play the game on normal, but were feeling adventurous and started up on advanced tonight.

When I joined, I figured I'd get the usual crop of advanced players and we'd just totally breeze through the entire campaign in 40 minutes or something. I didn't bother to use my mic, but after a level and a half I started to realize that these guys needed the timely audio cues to "Run you idiot!" or "Get back here and grab the damn pills before I force them down your throat!". There were several occasions that we lost someone because the decided that the best place to get away from a tank was in a small office, or possibly the corner of a room. They were constantly getting pounced by hunters and dragged by smokers which lead to a great deal of both "WTF" and special infected kills for me. The final tally ended up with myself at >15 of each special infected with each of them at <6 except for player A who had 8 hunters.

The two biggest "WTF are they doing?" moments came late in the campaign. In the terminal they decided to ride out the crescendo event behind the counter with a dozen molotovs and 4 pipe bombs. I went and hid in the closet. Part way through the event, player B gets caught by a smoker, but since B is behind the desk, they get stuck there within arms reach of the other two players. Player B is repeatedly typing out "A little help?", "Guys?", "HEY!" trying to get them to save him, but the other two just keep shooting the regular zombies. I'll admit that they were covered in boomer bile so couldn't see very well, but when you have someone go from >50 health to not just incapped, but dead, while within arms reach of you, that's pretty bad. A and C ended up going down and I had to break out of the closet, toss a pipe bomb and rescue their asses from the second wave of zombies.

The second "WTF are they doing?" moment came during the finale. These guys were having enough trouble so I told them to head over to the hill and how to hold out there when the zombies start coming. Everything goes well enough, but none of them listened to instructions when to grab ammo. You go after the zombies, but before the tank spawns. We did managed to take out both tanks without any losses, but there were a couple incaps. As the second tank goes down, A and B gather behind the plane while C decides that now would be a good time to get some ammo. Instead he ends up dragged by a smoker and pounced by a hunter. I managed to kill the hunter and drive off the smoker, but when I turn around there is a huge swarm of zombies behind the plane around A and B. I toss a pipe bomb to clear them out and get onto the plane with them both and pick up A after he was incapped inside. I turn around expecting the level to end as the last guys jumps in, but no, he wasn't behind me. It turns out that he chased after that smoker half way across the map. He hobbles back to the fuel truck and stop for some reason. Then I see his outline change and he's healing. He's freakin' healing instead of just getting on the plane! I'm yelling "Don't heal! Just get on the plane!" while B is typing "run" over and over again. He didn't finish healing before the tank caught up to him.

Final stats ended up somewhat like this:

Deaths - Me 0, Them 5+ each

Incaps - Me 0, Them 10+ each

Regular Z kills - Me 550, A 450, B 250, C <200

Damage Taken - Me 260, Them >1500 each

I don't think I've ever played with a group that was so obviously in over their heads before, but I do have to admit, it was much more entertaining than simply blowing through the level without some much as a single death for the 20th time. o:)

Dead Space was a great game and I agree it progressively got less scary as your weapons got more deadly and your armor more bulky. Still it was a fun romp. I managed to finish the game with the standard laser cutter as I found it the most effective.