Games that made you weep

Arcanum, thanks for reminding me. I thought the premise was intriguing. I even trusted, against my instinct, the groupthink that Troika could do no wrong.

What happened. The anti-climax of the year. Even the music made me want to slash my wrists. It was also one of the butt-ugliest games I've ever seen, and I'm not a graphics-orientated person by any stretch of the imagination.

Another to add to the list.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Troika are responsible for several schizophrenic outbursts of weeping for me. Arcanum, yep... On one hand it was horribly buggy, and generally unbalanced. On the other hand, great roleplaying and a very stylish setting and world. Still love the game though, one of my favourites.

ToEE. Pretty much my favourite combat system in a RPG, but the rest of the game...? o:)

Vampire Bloodlines. Generally awesome writing, with great roleplaying and quests in the first half of the game. Other half of the game is pure suck, mostly combat stuff (with the really crappy combat).

Really miss the company though.

Both NWNs were gigantic piles of fail when I first laid eyes upon them. NWN1 still only has the modders to lean back on (who created some brilliant stuff), but NWN2 has MotB as well. r00fles!

Van Buren cancellation was sad to me at the time, despite me disagreeing with a fair amount of stuff in it (like Fallout 2). But after reading more into it via design docs and whatnot, it really made me want to play the game. Such a shame that we never got to play the finished game.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

By the way, when I finished Dreamfall I would have cried if I had been a sissy. Or Finnish. But it did make me feel something and I really long for a continuation of the story.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

**** you, Civ 4 is easily best of the series

Firaxis only took the least interesting aspects of their best game, Alpha Centauri, and integrated them into Civ III and IV. They're tripe by comparison.

Agreed, Sid Meier one day woke up and decided that people really didn't like customizing their games anymore. Nevermind that both Civ2 and Alpha Centauri were applauded for the degree of customization you had. Nevermind the fans loved BOTH games for that. So Civ3 became this slimmed down 3d graphics dumbed-down version of a classic. And Civ4 more of the same with Leonard Nimoy voicing. Oh yay. Just who I want to hear mindlessly reciting discoveries. Come on, THAT is better than Civ2, with all the customization opportunities that game had. Or Alpha Centauri, where you could customize everything you built?

egads. I don't know how.

Arcanum atmosphere has a special place in my heart.

well, it's the rare CRPG that makes heavy use of the cello for its soundtrack.

Arcanum was long on atmosphere and exploration and story and short on, well, nearly everything else that makes a game good. For everything that it did right, it did at least two other things wrong. It kept me playing till the end but it lost my good will along the way.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

SPOIL URSE FER ARCANUM COMIN RIGHT UP

I remember getting to the end of the game and finding out that the big dark elf honcho had been rehabilitated after eons in a bubble, and I thought that was a pretty cool sort of development (I think you may have also been able to take him along as a short-term JNPC, not sure about that though) but at the same time, something clicked in my head and I thought "OH **** THE WHOLE THING WAS A TRAP THE GUY WHO SENT ME HERE TOTALLY SCREWED ME", which I thought would've been a great twist, but of course it never happened and I had to fight some super-evil dwarves or... something.

But as much as that game really sucked, it contains one of the two things put in a game that actually disturbed me (the other being Sackhead in the Gamecube Resident Evil remake). The quest in which you uncover the origin of the Half-Ogres was pure nightmare X-Files ****. You learn all these incredibly sadistic and evil things that had been done and at the end a guy comes to you and says "you don't have a chance in hell of stopping us, so we're just going to let you go on your merry way." It was like a particularly good episode of the X-Files. Kept me up at night. So they had some really great, great stuff in there. But also lots of bull****.

Edited by Pop

when Aeris died ;_;

I predicted this exact post/poster

You may call me Nicktrodamus.

I had to play Football Manager the other day. Dear god I didn't know anything could be so boring.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

If it'll make the wound bigger I can also tell you that the newest expansion pack has the, as of yet, best Paradox AI so you're totally missing out.

Did you check out the mod I linked? It doesn't change as much as Rome does but it could help.

I do remember that other people reacted in a similar fashion so it could be that Paradox hit some kind of thing in some people.

I bought both expansions because some day I might change my mind - and I wanna support Paradox, since they've made some of the most complex games I've ever played.

Guess you can call it loyalty..

and yeah, I checked the mod, but it doesn't help - it needs a complete overhaul before I can play it.. or a year of trying until I get used to the graphics.

Fortune favors the bald.

Lionheart, a game that was being made by Black Isle or Interplay (or so I thought at that time). The infinity engine was going to be the game's engine, Fallout's SPECIAL system was going to be used for stats, abilities etc. All should be well. However, it wasn't. It was a (very) poor attempt (at least going by the demo I played) at making a Diablo clone paired with Baldur's Gate. Trouble was that as I, and other people, heard the word 'infinity engine' we immediately thought 'Baldur's Gate' which it sort of wasn't - and yet, still was. The game was being made by a company that mostly made arcade action games; it shows in the gameplay which you can pause, but only to drink potions. Very disappointing game...at least in meeting my expectations....

Wut? From the very start Lionheart was going to use Reflexive

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

In Finland...

Men don't cry....ever. They let their women cry on their behalf instead.

My girlfriend has shed many tears over animation of pixels through out the years; Tears of sadness were shed during the ending of FFX, but tears of frustration were shed over the ending of KotOR 2, and tears of rage were shed over "KotOR III: THE MMO".

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

There are only two games that literally made me cry of frustration.

Pac-man. It was the Atari version Pac-man and there was a competitive mode where you played for points or something. I can't clearly remember. I do remember my father humiliating me time and time again on that competitive mode and then laughing in my face in his victory. I used to throw down my controller, wail and go running into the bathroom to weep, wondering how life could be so cruel. Hey, I was like 6 or 7. My mother would admonish my father and my father's usually reply was an innocent, "Whaaat~?"

Hmm...this might actually explain a lot...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for NES. I could all the games I had for NES. Ninja Gaiden 1, 2 and 3 no problem, Battletoads? I beat it one night during summer break and finally understood the meaning of euphoria. Double Dragon 3? It was like eating peanut M&Ms. But not Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I could make it into the Technodrome but as soon as I set foot in there I lost all my turtles. Maybe it was because I couldn't kill those grey guys in the jetpacks that shoot lasers, or perhaps because the level seemed like one big maze and I couldn't figure out where to go. In the end I would cry in RAGE and frustration as I watched my last turtle shrink and disappear off the screen. Thanks to the power of Youtube, I was able to watch someone beat the game. It turns outs you didn't even have to kill most of the enemies. You could just avoid them. Damnit.

I played FF7 on the PC and didn't blink an eyelash when she died. Probably because I was in college and drunk most of the time. It was the first FF I had played and I just figured she would come back to life at one point. I guess she sorta did at the end.

A few games did almost make me cry. There was a definite pang in my chest.

Like the good ending of Bioshock. Awwww~

Many times in PS:T

The opera scene in FF6. Pixels never seemed so real. They should remake FF6 not FF7.

and Tombraider Anniversary. Bad, bad attempt at... something?

I installed the original TR and ran it with a GLide emulator after giving up. It really made TR:A look bad (gameplay wise) by comparison

thanks dude. i have fond memories of the original TR & was thinking of buying TR:A.

none of the TR games that followed it ever managed to capture what was good about the original: great atmosphere and fun gameplay. looks like TR:A didn't either.

Stay clear of it at all cost -_-

Seriously, they might as well have called the game "Ledge Climber, now with 40% Boss Battles", since you spent what felt at least half the time climbing sideways on ledges, watching nothing but cliff faces and then getting your (cute little) butt handed to you in ridiculous boss battles. It's like trying to adapt a game made for a different audience to some kind of short attentionspan audience. Gone are the large levels of exploration and secret finding, panoramic views and little jingles when finding that little remote area with an extra pack of ammo. Instead you a series of narrow, linear of hallways where you have to get to the other end without killing yourself and then fight a boss. Like some Galaxy Invader game... They even sffrf "Interactive Cutscenes", I mean WTH? Press "U" key, Press "Left" key, sheesh it made my eyes moist with sorrow, seeing how badly treated the game was. Definitely not aimed at those who loved the exploration and discovery aspect of the original.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

K2's Jedi Academy scene made me sad. Even the Halo series made me sad and/or happy (especially 3's after the credits ending, which always brings a smile to my face). Ace Combat 6's final mission was actually emotional (the music helps a lot). Lost Planet's beginning made me expect something rather good and gave me a feeling of anticipation. Battlefield Bad Company made me laugh.

All this time Bioware has promised emotions in it's stories, but what I got in Mass Effect was a predictable plot with an always-right hero and super-serious soldiers in space. I guess I could put it into the disapointment list, but it was still a pretty good game.

EDIT: I do',t even understand WTF is going on in MGS4 but some scenes were incredibly emotional.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I predicted it... mostly because Bio gave away most of the plot in the trailers and previews.

But the PC never makes any huge mistakes.

I exagerated on that I guess, but the super-serious soldiers in space still stands.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I might slate Bioware sometimes, but I nearly always enjoy their games, and they're good games, too. I think the only bit that really made me bang my head to the wall was the Master's dialogue in the opening of Jade Empire... it wasn't that long after KOTOR and you could so obviously tell that the Master was actually the big baddie and was going to betray you, by exploiting the completely silly "flaw in your technique that nobody can see and doesn't translate into gameplay at all and can't be fixed, and never comes into play except to justify my total pwning of you later". I think it could have been decent with better execution, but the dialogue was really atrocious there, it read like the kind of notes you scribble onto an early script draft with big arrows going "OMEN ABOUT BADDIE HERE".

Sand or Volo or whoever (why do I always get those two mixed up?) will come and tell me again that JE is good, and yeah, I do think now that it was a good fun game... but that opening, combined with the fact that I had played KOTOR only a month or so ago, really gave me a "oh gawd" vibe.

To balance the whining out, I'm shocked we don't have more adorations of the dead God dialogue in MOTB (what was his name again?). That's an example of good concept and briliant execution - you come through a portal after a really long basement dungeon and get this massive open space with the right kind of hollow ambience, adjust your camera to look up and walk up to the floating head. I think it's a very basic trick that really makes things special in games - where you stumble on something, and it dawns on you what you've just found, as it if was a buried rubble (even if you were meant to see it). Other examples I think would be Xachariah in PS:T.

I didn't weep, but I was pretty dang sad at the end of Twilight Princess.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I totally agree on Lionheart. i played it through a second time hoping that I'd been on crack or something the first time. It was within 'put them on the glass' range of brilliance. But failed.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"Sand or Volo or whoever (why do I always get those two mixed up?) will come and tell me again that JE is good, and yeah, I do think now that it was a good fun game... but that opening, combined with the fact that I had played KOTOR only a month or so ago, really gave me a "oh gawd" vibe."

JE > KOTOR

"But the PC never makes any huge mistakes."

Depends on what you mean by 'huge mistake'. And, compared to most PROTAGANISTS in RPGs, the PC in ME makes some doozies, imo.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.