BREAKING NEWS: NEW EXCLUSIVE DRAGON AGE FOOTAGE

Llyranor

F"R is the nadir of derivative fantasy."

Bull. It has similarities; but it also has quite a bit that sets it apart from trash like Tolkien. yeah, I said it. Trahs. (in comaprison, not overall). Just because dwarves, and elves exist in the Realsm doesn't mean the setting is nunoriginal, NOOB.

Anyways, DA's graphcis are superior to BG's in EVERY BSINGLE WAY. Only an IE fanboy living in the late 90s would think otherwise. L0L

{"You waited four years for thier E3 teaser? I'm sorry to hear that."

Oh SNAP! :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

(in comaprison, not overall)

Comaprison.

COMAPRISON

COMAPRISON

We must save Volo!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

:o I'll wh0re u. :)

One of the major turn offs for me in regards to 3D games is its fugly looking characters. My god look at that dude. He looks like he had something rammed up in him in an area where the sun doesn't shine. NWN was just terrible. NWN2, humans and half-elves looked ok but the female elves looked too manly. Kotor games, their faces were ok but their lip movements were way off and unreal.

Go go 2D graphics!

Dark Raven thinks that these are awesome character graphics :x

bguglytr1.jpg

(in comaprison, not overall)

Oh SNAP! :o

Comaprison.

COMAPRISON

COMAPRISON

We must save Volo!

:):x

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

:o I'll wh0re u. :)

One of the major turn offs for me in regards to 3D games is its fugly looking characters. My god look at that dude. He looks like he had something rammed up in him in an area where the sun doesn't shine. NWN was just terrible. NWN2, humans and half-elves looked ok but the female elves looked too manly. Kotor games, their faces were ok but their lip movements were way off and unreal.

Go go 2D graphics!

Dark Raven thinks that these are awesome character graphics :x

bguglytr1.jpg

Yea but they are! You need quad sli to process those chunky pixels!

F"R is the nadir of derivative fantasy."

Bull. It has similarities; but it also has quite a bit that sets it apart from trash like Tolkien. yeah, I said it. Trahs. (in comaprison, not overall). Just because dwarves, and elves exist in the Realsm doesn't mean the setting is nunoriginal, NOOB.

The FR doesn't have 'anything' to set it apart from 'anything.' Everything in it is stolen from other campaign setting or mythology. Period. Nothing in it is unique. Greenwood originated it as a higher-magic Tolienesque fantasy, intentionally. He didn't care about the similarites. When it got taken over, TSR and then Wizards stole from all their other settings and any requested myth setting and crammed it into the FR. They never worried if it 'really' fit. They never worried if it made sense even.

The FR isn't unique in any way, shape or form. It's completely derived, and any imagination it had in it died a decade ago.

Yeah, FR is collection "Let's steal everything from Tolkien, Howard and other big names as well as let's rape superficial aspects of every single culture on earth lol."

FR is amalgation of everything.

But there is no single thing that is original in it.

And how Volo can claim Tolkien is trash yet like Aber Toril is way beyond human understanding.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

hey, there's no question that BG was a distinctive story that made excellent use of its setting.

but that doesn't make the setting distinctive or excellent. just the game itself.

equallly, it's entirely possible to have a crappy game based on a great setting. it'd be stupid for example to suppose that every game set in middle earth is great just because it's set in middle earth, or that every star wars game is great because it's set in the star wars universe.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

There are interesting aspects to the game, like magic being rare and powerful, different competing religions in the world, gods which do not explicitly manifest themselves, dwarven politics including dwarven outcasts, elves apparently being cursed by their gods or something of the sort, what ushered in the Dragon Age after the Blessed Age. So I don't think it'll be a Tolkien rip off, even if the art style is reminiscent of Peter Jackson. Has anyone ever made a good LOTR RPG in any case?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I don't think it'll be a Tolkien rip off, even if the art style is reminiscent of Peter Jackson.

For me, it doesn't matter anyway. I personally don't rank "originality" very high on my list of qualities that make a good computer game. At least not as far as story or characters or world-building goes. Or even graphics so much. In gameplay, yes, there its nice to see something new, or at least something spun around and done slightly differently, at least occaisonally. If DA rips of Tolkien, its ok with me. If I don't like the game, that won't be the reason why.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

There's 2nd trailer of the same scenario

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36127.html

It gives bit more of Total War feel and that's a positive thing. I don't mind if world feels bit plain if "Total War" part of the game is done correctly.

I like this trailer more than the other for some odd reason.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

There's 2nd trailer of the same scenario

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36127.html

It gives bit more of Total War feel and that's a positive thing. I don't mind if world feels bit plain if "Total War" part of the game is done correctly.

I like this trailer more than the other for some odd reason.

Same here but IT'S THE SAME DAMN THING!!!!

There are interesting aspects to the game, like magic being rare and powerful, different competing religions in the world, gods which do not explicitly manifest themselves, dwarven politics including dwarven outcasts, elves apparently being cursed by their gods or something of the sort, what ushered in the Dragon Age after the Blessed Age. So I don't think it'll be a Tolkien rip off, even if the art style is reminiscent of Peter Jackson. Has anyone ever made a good LOTR RPG in any case?

Here's a nice post from Bioware's DA: Origens forums about magic

http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?t...44&forum=84

(scroll down a bit to see what Maria Caliban has to say)

A few highlights, though (for the lazy ones, like me :thumbsup: )

Magic is going to be very dangerous and rare. The Church and the religion in Ferelden, the place in which the games takes places are against magic, any magic.

Mages are born. Period. You're a mage or not. Period. As soon as you show any talent for magic...well, you get taken away to...ehm...another place.

Mages can cast mind control spells. It is forbidden to do so. Anyway....when did stop someone... Mages are feared by the common people.

Magic does not include summoning, teleportation or resurrection. There will be no healing potions or healing magic. When you're hurt, you're hurt. You need to fight your way back to base camp to get medical attention.

To me, this is looks far better than the system used in D&D...

It will definetely not be a Tolkien rip-off at all. Maybe it will blend some RTS elements into the RPG environment?

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

Same here but IT'S THE SAME DAMN THING!!!!

Weird, isn't it.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Ferelden spelled backward is Nedleref. I kinda like that better.

Fantasy place names and people names always crack me up. WHo comes up with such a bewildering array of jumbles of vowels and consonants?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I usually take a look at a crossword and circle random letters and thusly come up with names.

For me, it doesn't matter anyway. I personally don't rank "originality" very high on my list of qualities that make a good computer game.

I couldn't agree more.

For example, I like action movies. Y'know, gunfights, car chases etc. The genre is pretty formulaic, but some are still better than others. Why? I'd suggest it's mainly because the people who made it understood the conventions of the genre, how to move the boundaries, understood what the audience wanted. It's why a movie like Bullitt still rocks, it's why the Bourne Ultimatum is such good fun, it's why so many other action movies aren't.

Look at Sci-fi. Why is the new Battlestar Galactica so damn good? Because the creators love and understand sci-fi so well they can do what the hell they like with it whilst still recognisably staying within almost every boundary of the genre (spaceships, robots, laser guns).

Computer games, I'm going to argue, aren't wildly different. You could make a game in the most vanilla, sub-Tolkien-esque setting (er, maybe the FR) and as long as the gameplay, writing and graphics were right most people would still be happy. Conversely, you could have the most original setting but if those ingredients aren't there...

So although I was hoping for a more Dark Ages feel, I'll reserve judgement on the game to writing and gameplay. Both of which, I suspect, will reflect an understanding of, and affection for, the genre.

Cheers

MC

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG