BREAKING NEWS: NEW EXCLUSIVE DRAGON AGE FOOTAGE

Llyranor

You talking about Tuatha De Danann?

Elves inspirations come from the generic "angels" stories and Nordic myths such as Lj

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Second pic is from the vid so the combatants are probably grainy and all that because of crappy camera work from the recorder.

the vid is a lot more impressive than the pic.

i'm still suprised they stuck with the large scale battles thing. seems like a waste of zots in a party-based CRPG.

dumber than a bag of hammers

Whining AGAIN? Holy moly!

Second pic is from the vid so the combatants are probably grainy and all that because of crappy camera work from the recorder.

No. It sucks just like the first. The graphics are bad. Get over it.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

"No. It sucks just like the first. The graphics are bad. Get over it."

Whine MORE? Keep goin'. It's FUN!

DA = AWESOME

Better than all the rest include your precious BL, and KOTOR.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"No. It sucks just like the first. The graphics are bad. Get over it."

Whine MORE? Keep goin'. It's FUN!

DA = AWESOME

Better than all the rest include your precious BL, and KOTOR.

:p That's fighting words you #^#^$&*--#@ Kunuck. :shrugz:

Game Over man Game Over!

:)

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

"As for your FR comment, you do know FR -STOLE- a ton from LotR"

Nah, most of what the Fr 'stole' from LotR come from earlier more general sources. Nice try, though.

Such as...? if you mean mythology then I find it odd from all the various cultures and versions of mythical creatures the ones that ended up in FR are, for the most part, idential to the versions found in LotR. I am sure you are going to say that's just happenstance. I'll save you the reply. ;)

FR took -

Elves retreating (LotR)

Drow (Greyhawk)

Torm and a few other deities (earth counterparts down to the same name)

Elmister; clearly poor mans Gandalf

I used to have this list memorized but thats just off the top of my head what I remember, plus, the fact the creator of FR ADMITTED in a interview many moons ago he mostly borrowed from other sources as that was his intent. He wasn't going to original he was going to make a mixture of his favorite fantasy sources and writers.

FYI :)

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Let me guess.. it's okay for Tolkien to 'steal' ideas, creatures, and whatnot from avrious sources but wrong for others? Whatever. Tolkien heavily borrowed stuff too. Big deal.

As they say, poor artists borrow. Great artists steal.

The difference between Middle Earth and Forgotten Realms isn't that one borrowed from other sources and one didn't. The fact that Tolkien based his stuff on other sources is something so well-known, it's painful to keep reading it.

No, the difference between Middle Earth and Forgotten Realms is that one was the lovingly detailed backdrop to a series of literary works written by a giant of the genre, and the other was unimaginative junk dreamt up by a hack D&D writer because TSR wanted to break from Gygax's (superior) Greyhawk setting. The fact that both borrowed from other sources doesn't mean that one nonetheless arrived at something distinctive and original and the other hopelessly derivative and shallow.

I'll leave you to figure out which is which.

newc0253 wins this discussion. ;)

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

;)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

"the fact the creator of FR ADMITTED in a interview many moons ago he mostly borrowed from other sources as that was his intent"

When did I ever deny this? Tool.

Fr is the stereotypical high fantasy setting. Is that good or bad? It all depends on the DM. That is the nature of Dungeons and Dragons. If you don't like FR, play Eberron or home brew.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

The term low-magic means different things to different people. For some, it means weak-magic and for others rare-magic. For me, it means non-trivialized magic (no hundreds or thousands of +1 swords, for example, available everywhere).

Same here :lol:

Basically, trivializing magic makes it mundane for me and gives it a similar feel to technology.

From what we are reading and hearing, I will like the nature and frequency of magic in the DA.

I don't mind magic having the feel of technology. Probably oneo f the reasons why I like Eberron. MAGIC TRAINS FTW!

That was one thing that intrigued me about Arcanum, Wizardry, and Warhammer. That mix of tech and magic. I could imagine the common folk not being sure which was which. Now, I'm pretty sure DA won't use even primitive firearms, but I'd love a fantasy RPG where you're not sure where magic ends and technology begins. And the alchemists blur the lines between both.

Here's a quote from David Gaider on DA forums that hopefully clarifies the "low magic" thing (pretty much what I said before):

When the discussion has come up in the past, I've always been hesitant to say that Dragon Age is a "low magic" setting... just like the difference between "dark fantasy" and "high fantasy", it's not generally a case of being solely on one side or the other (and that's ignoring the fact that the phrases are going to mean slightly different things depending on who you're talking to).

Certainly in terms of the world at large, magic is rare. A player character is, however, something of a radical exception. You're involved in events that have you in magic up to your armpits. Is it enough to say that magic is not commonplace even if the player sees it all the time? Certainly it's nothing like the Forgotten Realms where you could expect the average citizen to shrug at any demonstration of magic. In that setting, magic-users and enchanted items are commonplace.

I suppose it also determines exactly what sorts of themes you can expect to find. In most high magic settings, encountering a floating city or traveling through magic portals to other dimensions wouldn't be out of place. You've got a large presence of the fantastical in that sort of setting... whereas in Dragon Age, such things would be out of place. There are no floating cities, and magic -- while powerful -- still has limitations on what it can do. It can't resurrect the dead or teleport you or open up gateways to other dimensions.

Ultimately it's a stylistic difference, but it's not going to fit into a neat box like "low fantasy". Personally I hate trying to define something by what it isn't -- but, being Canadian, I suppose that should come more naturally.

Anyhow, I hope that makes some sense.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

DA is not low magic. Mr. Gaider can claim otherwise all he wants or play poliyics safekly by saying 'matter of view point'. No video game that has magic has ever been low magic.

Gaider's pretty much admitting that it won't be 'low magic' as most people conceive it, e.g. the player will encounter plenty of magic.

it's just that - in classic D&D fashion - the PC is the exception, dare i say it the *cough*chosen one*cough.

i'm pleased to hear though that they're steering clear of the FR as much as possible.

dumber than a bag of hammers

*cough*chosen one*cough.

If this game features any sort of "prophecy" which destines the protagonist to eliminate the bad guys, I will personnally see to it that Bioware's writing team be burned alive.

There is no bigger clich

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Ah yes the classic nobody who becomes a somebody. Fantasy needs to be a little bit more original than that. >_<

Its not just fantasy that uses that, DR.

"I will personnally see to it that Bioware's writing team be burned alive."

Death threat! L0LLERZ!

How can you possibly like "The Chosen One's Prophecy" clich

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"