The All Things Political Topic - A conservative is someone who makes no changes and consults his grandmother when in doubt

Keyrock

Apparently this was sort of a known thing, too, like Kelly

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Florida braces for lawsuits over law banning kids from social media | Ars Technica

Part of me is aghast because I consider FL to be populated with a bunch of rednecks that are regressing our society, another part of me thinks they got this one right. Social media is a cancer, especially to young children.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

13 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Florida braces for lawsuits over law banning kids from social media | Ars Technica

Part of me is aghast because I consider FL to be populated with a bunch of rednecks that are regressing our society, another part of me thinks they got this one right. Social media is a cancer, especially to young children.

I am conflicted on this one because I absolutely know there is lots of harmful and perverse content on the Internet that young people shouldnt be viewing but where is the responsibly from parents around how kids use the Internet? Also its a slippery slope, next thing they " ban " LGBT support groups or ban anyone who questions " CRT " teachings so suddenly this type of well meaning law becomes a political or ideological tool for  the extreme left or right 

But reading the article its not a " ban" , it says it requires parents consent but how would that practically be enforced. They mention ID would be used, but that does mean  just the ID number or a scanned copy of the ID? Because if its just an ID number any youngster who is committed can get his parents ID number and use it to bypass the verification

I think a better way to preventing kids from accessing harmful content is some kind of net nanny program that parents control where they can decide what websites and content kids can access and you do get that. You start with an overall blanket restriction and then parents can add what they consider is fine. Leave the state out of deciding what is appropriate 

https://www.netnanny.com/

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Polling continues to remain very troublesome (the phenomenon of which became very publicly noticed back in 2016 when Trump was first elected): in the Republican primary, there was widespread systematic error and results outside the margin of error (sometimes as much as 20-30%!) throughout the nation, even when looking at aggregate polling averages. Though unlike in 2016 (where Trump ran ahead of the projected results right up to but just barely inside the margin of error), the bias seems to be in favor of Trump rather than against him like it was back then (i.e. this time around, the polls were projecting that he would win primaries by much better margins than he actually did)...what, if anything, this might mean for the general election, is anyone's guess. It could very well mean absolutely nothing. Polling seems to always be very screwy one way or another when Trump is on the ballot, so this shouldn't really surprise anyone.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

One thing I've read regarding polling is that younger voters tend not to have landlines and don't answer unknown cold calls, which has been speculated to skewing any phone based poll in weird ways when trying to extrapolate data to the population.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

2 hours ago, Amentep said:

One thing I've read regarding polling is that younger voters tend not to have landlines and don't answer unknown cold calls, which has been speculated to skewing any phone based poll in weird ways when trying to extrapolate data to the population.

I'd definitely be curious to see a demographic and voting breakdown for specifically the Republican primaries...might help understand why polling was so off. Still probably unhelpful for trying to fix forecasts of the general election, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/01/turkey-opposition-stuns-in-local-election-victory-over-erdogan-party.html

Im very pleased with the Turkish municipal  election outcomes 

Its  not that  I particularly dislike Erdogan but this is evidence that Turkey does have free and fair elections and more importantly Erdogan is prepared to accept the loss. Putin could learn a lot from him

The general Turkish unhappiness is because of the state of the economy and particularly the horrendous high inflation sitting on 60% in February 

And if Erdogan has just followed normal monetary policy and raised interests rates when inflation started climbing they wouldnt in the mess they now in 

https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/09/07/turkey-economy-inflation-erdogan-lira-interest-rate-tourism/

I can understand politicians and the average citizen not understanding the synergy between inflation  and interest rates but thats why you leave these decisions to Central Banks, they qualified and are aware of the historical reasons for doing this 

But its generally a  recipe of disaster to conflate sustainable economic outcomes with ideology or populist rhetoric 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rfk-jrs-ability-sway-2024-election-depends-ballot/story?id=108753511

@Keyrock

I was watching on CNN the support that RFK Jr has gained and how   some people definitely like him. The news anchors were saying he appeals to certain voters for different reasons and one of those reasons is he isnt " much of the same "

What do you like about him and would you vote for him? I am looking for a summary about what  he stands for outside of the political rhetoric and exaggeration because he clearly resonates with people?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

7 hours ago, BruceVC said:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rfk-jrs-ability-sway-2024-election-depends-ballot/story?id=108753511

@Keyrock

I was watching on CNN the support that RFK Jr has gained and how   some people definitely like him. The news anchors were saying he appeals to certain voters for different reasons and one of those reasons is he isnt " much of the same "

What do you like about him and would you vote for him? I am looking for a summary about what  he stands for outside of the political rhetoric and exaggeration because he clearly resonates with people?

I mean, I guess he is youthful compared to the other candidates. :wowey:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, BruceVC said:

For one, whatever people think of him now, the man did a lot good as a trial lawyer in his past. For example, he's the man that took Monsanto, multi-time winner of the prestigious Most Evil Company in the World Award, to task. Also, I agree with many of his stances, definitely not all, but more than the alternatives, that's for sure. Granted, candidates often make promises they have no intention of keeping on the campaign trail, that's politics. Still, at least there's a chance, however small, that he fulfills his campaign promises, whereas I already know for certain that Biden and The Donald are blowing smoke up our asses.

However, my support for Bobby has as much to do with what the alternatives are as the man himself. The other choices are Biden and The Donald, 2 of the most evil, vile, loathsome, disgusting, dishonest, pieces of garbage that this planet has ever produced. Would Bobby Kennedy make a good president? Perhaps, perhaps not; we won't know for sure until it happens. I know with absolute certainty that Biden and The Donald are AWFUL presidents, because I've experienced both of their terms already. I know exactly what I'm going to get with either of the 2 main party candidates and the thought of either is enough to make me want to vomit, not to mention move back to Poland.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

need to remember whatever anyone say on Internet or tv is merely promise of bread and circus

whatever they say now

they can always just cut tax for the rich take lobby money and coup whoever dare to think about not being usa puppet once they are elected

I'd have more respect for, and perhaps even consider voting for, RFKJRBBQ if he didn't fold on his anti-war/interventionst stance when it came to Israel decimating Gaza. Joe Biden is already the disappointing centrist who can't do anything worth a **** and I'm ashamed to have voted for him in 2020.

At this point I'll probably just go with the most popular candidate of 2016: staying home.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

For one, whatever people think of him now, the man did a lot good as a trial lawyer in his past. For example, he's the man that took Monsanto, multi-time winner of the prestigious Most Evil Company in the World Award, to task. Also, I agree with many of his stances, definitely not all, but more than the alternatives, that's for sure. Granted, candidates often make promises they have no intention of keeping on the campaign trail, that's politics. Still, at least there's a chance, however small, that he fulfills his campaign promises, whereas I already know for certain that Biden and The Donald are blowing smoke up our asses.

However, my support for Bobby has as much to do with what the alternatives are as the man himself. The other choices are Biden and The Donald, 2 of the most evil, vile, loathsome, disgusting, dishonest, pieces of garbage that this planet has ever produced. Would Bobby Kennedy make a good president? Perhaps, perhaps not; we won't know for sure until it happens. I know with absolute certainty that Biden and The Donald are AWFUL presidents, because I've experienced both of their terms already. I know exactly what I'm going to get with either of the 2 main party candidates and the thought of either is enough to make me want to vomit, not to mention move back to Poland.

Thanks,  the interview on CNN I was talking   about is the Chris Wallace  show which is a weekly 1 hour show and he has 4 journalists on and most  of them are anti-Trump and generally support  the Dems  and Biden   but 1  journalist is always a moderate Conservative and they were objective about RFK Jr and  most  of the 4  journalists  were  saying things similar to you 

They raised  an interesting question about "  does  a vote for RFK hurt  Trump or Biden more  " and they were  saying it depends  on the state that  he appears on the ballot on   or it hurts  Trump more  in the long term  and Biden in the short term  but Im not sure what that means because there  is one main election

But the main  point  they made is   he is an  alternative with certain views  that  resonate with people and thats  more  than enough to  make him a viable  choice for those tired  of the theater of Trump  and the inconsistency and  frailty of Biden because Bidens age keeps coming up as a concern 

Exciting times  ahead for you guys in the USA 🇺🇸

John Milton 

I can't because the anti-vax thing is an automatic do not pass go for me. Slam big pharma all you want but vaccines are one of mankind's greatest discoveries and that's just a bridge of stupid I can't cross. What are they coming for next? Fire? The wheel? Our precious flat earth???

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

36 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I can't because the anti-vax thing is an automatic do not pass go for me. Slam big pharma all you want but vaccines are one of mankind's greatest discoveries and that's just a bridge of stupid I can't cross. What are they coming for next? Fire? The wheel? Our precious flat earth???

I hear you but is that enough to not vote for him? He believes in other things that most of us would agree with like he is pro-choice

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/interactive/2023/presidential-candidates-2024-policies-issues/robert-kennedy-jr-abortion/

The point Im trying to make is one disagreement on a certain policy enough to not vote for a politician? What about the other  things you agree with him on ?

John Milton 

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

The point Im trying to make is one disagreement on a certain policy enough to not vote for a politician?

If it is fundamental enough, then of course it can be. See, for instance, I would never vote for a libertarian, even if I would agree with every other stance that person had. On the other hand, if there would be a candidate who realizes that class warfare is not magically over just because the Soviet Union dissolved, but who would be to oppose legalization of cannabis, then that would be an issue I could live without. It is just not important enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

8 hours ago, BruceVC said:

The point Im trying to make is one disagreement on a certain policy enough to not vote for a politician? What about the other  things you agree with him on ?

Things have weights.  Telling you me you are for expanding public transit but are for building it with slave labour isn't going to fly, to use an absurd example. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think the anti-vax stuff is dumb and all but I'd personally be able to overlook that if the acronymn man was also a steadfast union guy or consistently anti-war but he's not. For all intents and purposes he's just a laughable centrist whose biggest differential with Joey Genocide is that he'd prefer to shoot up anabolic steroids instead of a vaxx. 

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

13 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Yeah, the anti-Vax thing is enough for me to mentally load him into a rocket and fire it into the sun. Now I know, "its not nice to fire people into the sun", but here I am anyway.

Are you planning on voting this election? Your vote counts, never forget that 🥂

John Milton 

Not only anti-vax, he's also quite clearly pro-russia. Anyone voting for him instead of Biden is a loony.

His backers want Trump as President. A vote for him is a vote that favours Trump over Biden.

Edited by Maedhros
  • Hmmm 1

I've come around anti-vaxx morons lately.

Let's face it, when everybody is stuck inside an iron lung, it's hard to wage wars or cause other miseries.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Iran attacking Israel now, drones for now, probably missiles next. Fun times. 

Netanyahu must be happy