Music: Sharing and Listening - Where words fail, music speaks

ShadySands

Not the worst cover.  Starr's can't be beaten in my mind, though

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't remember seeing these guys often here...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hubby's back is worse again so kinda tough there.
My niece is nearing hospice territory. It also crossed my mind that my sister will be 70 before too long. Buncha other "mortality" reminders this week.

I saw this, and thought "what a maudlin, kinda boring song," but by the time it ended I was bawling (both the sentiment and that the Beatles music was a big part of my kid life because of siblings - I remember where I was when the news of Lennon's death aired).

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Nanowar's take on the world we currently live in... 😁

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There was a time when music was not everywhere, albums were expensive and we were rather young, so we were quite limited in what we could hear or listen to. During this time, there was a period when I could only hear Def Leppard's superb Pyromania album at a friend's place. That time may not have lasted more than one summer, but since we were rather young, that time is still strongly fixed in my memory. So whenever I hear this track, I remember the rooms at my friend's place, I remember how we played cards and listened to Pyromania, among other things. I think this song is still brilliant. The extended middle section is particularly great. The 1980s were bad in many respects, but when it comes to melodic rock music that is more complex than it sounds (just pay attention to how cleverly Def Leppard switches keys), the 1980s were marvelous.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 4:49 AM, xzar_monty said:

There was a time when music was not everywhere, albums were expensive and we were rather young, so we were quite limited in what we could hear or listen to. During this time, there was a period when I could only hear Def Leppard's superb Pyromania album at a friend's place. That time may not have lasted more than one summer, but since we were rather young, that time is still strongly fixed in my memory. So whenever I hear this track, I remember the rooms at my friend's place, I remember how we played cards and listened to Pyromania, among other things. I think this song is still brilliant. The extended middle section is particularly great. The 1980s were bad in many respects, but when it comes to melodic rock music that is more complex than it sounds (just pay attention to how cleverly Def Leppard switches keys), the 1980s were marvelous.

I agree with you about '80s rock music, and also Def Leppard specifically. But for me the '80s were awesome across the board generally. I was class of '86 in high school and class of '89 in college, so that was quintissentially my decade. :)

5 hours ago, kanisatha said:

I agree with you about '80s rock music, and also Def Leppard specifically. But for me the '80s were awesome across the board generally. I was class of '86 in high school and class of '89 in college, so that was quintissentially my decade. :)

Somewhat similar... class of '85 in high school, but started a bit later in university. The 80's were my teen/early twenties years. A good decade to enjoy music 🥰

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 5:20 PM, ShadySands said:

Son has been on 80s rap this week. He still likes synth pop but he also likes Kool Moe Dee videos a lot apparently.

am having appreciation for you son's kool moe dee trend. more than once on this board am having linked a kool moe dee tune. however...

am sensing possible danger if he memorizes lyrics and then shares with mom, step-mom, or practically any woman with a pulse. 

'course it's been almost five days since you posted, so is likely he has already found something new. perhaps a slow transition to funk?

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

shady' son synth pop and kool moe dee appreciation made us a bit nostalgic for the 80s, so am offering two more.

am admitting we first heard this is the day via the empire records soundtrack which were released 95, so kinda a cheat.

and 

what we like to imagine is a @ShadySands biographical, 

after leaving the marines, our protagonist did intelligence gathering for nsa/cia in eastern europe?

am admitting some envy o' the red suit and bow/string tie wardrobe selection o' the singer in the 'bove vid, although unless we sudden start working for the devil contracting for souls am not sure when or where we might have occasion to wear such.

am aware o' the falco original release, but we prefer song and video from after the fire, although the falco video is worth watching at least once. 

ok, am realizing is a 70s tune, but had to post if for no other reason than leland sklar (bass). 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

shady' son synth pop and kool moe dee appreciation made us a bit nostalgic for the 80s, so am offering two more.

am admitting we first heard this is the day via the empire records soundtrack which were released 95, so kinda a cheat.

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but that video for some reason made me think of OMD. Maybe it's a similar vibe? Similar...ish sound? Meh, for some reason, it just triggered memories of the latter band.

Falco... I guess I remember the time period better than the artist I suppose. He did do quite a few hits back then... Der Commissar, Rock me Amadeus, Jeanny etc. One of his last songs (I liked the word play, which does need a bit of knowledge of the language to understand the play on the word "koks", meaning both coke - fuel for heating and cocaine and "kohle" meaning both coal and money depending on context)

Some Australian rock/pop band doing a show in some European country (it's not even part of the EU)

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Falco...

ok, now keep in mind am not dumping on falco, but the linked video made us recall the following:

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

Just another song by my favourite Faeroese songbird...

• Like 1

Daryl Hall obtains restraining order against John Oates amid confidential lawsuit

The suit by Hall against Oates as an individual and Oates’s trust is listed as a “contract/debt” dispute, but the details of the case are sealed, court records show.

HA! Good Fun!

I'm introducing the B-Side Classic. The B-Side Classic celebrates the song that didn't get a hit video, didn't get a ton of radio airplay, and yet it might be the best song on the album. The first nominee:

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

One of the "granddads" of metal music...

Evidently I only have one gear: 

63XGcXH.png

B2Ma9Zq.png

• Haha 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling