Music: Sharing and Listening - Where words fail, music speaks

ShadySands

10 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Dunno why this sad song always comforts me

For me it's this song:

Nothing soothes the soul quite like The Commodores.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

https://youtu.be/XsygzlmPEB0?si=4oznHT5BJTi2EK73

At least Vinnie didn't go on about Vietnam being done at the behest of the Illuminati or the Jews or whatever conspiracy BS he's on now.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

sad music which nevertheless comforts? am knowing there is studies which explain the brain chemistry, but for us the studies don't change the primal strangeness.

top o' the list is gonna be arvo pärt, samuel barber... maybe ryuichi sakamoto

songs?

roberta flack were probable the artist who gut punched us at the earliest age.

edit: is worth noting the linked song were the inspiration for the roberta flack piece and it also reached us on a fundamental level.

a more recent top choice.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The day the music dies may come, but today is not this day...

Continued from old thread

Some 80's nostalgia

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

literal haven't heard this song since the old dr. demento days, and back then am recollecting it as an accordion solo. the contribution o' @majestic made us 'member something moldering away in the cobweb filled corners o' our cranium.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

A bit of nostalgia from my childhood (which was late 60's to late 70's)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 9/11/2023 at 8:40 PM, Gromnir said:

sad music which nevertheless comforts? am knowing there is studies which explain the brain chemistry, but for us the studies don't change the primal strangeness.

Hmm. I think that sad music generally comforts, as long as it's good, so the comfort comes from the artistic quality (which, to be somewhat high-flying, reaffirms one's belief in humanity and the fact that all sorts of wonderful things have been created and are being created), making the emotional content somewhat secondary.

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on this primal strangeness, though. I do agree that music is somewhat strange, as an art form: it is entirely abstract (as long as it's instrumental), yet it's quite universal and tends to evoke emotions in just about anyone who's not completely numb. Apparently the fifth, as an interval, is something that the human ear finds very pleasing no matter which culture you happen to live in. Which probably goes some way to explaining why the diminished fifth is so often used in heavy metal and other assorted genres to evoke evil or nasty or whatever: that particular dissonance, being so close to the perfect fifth, is the best vehicle for signaling something malicious.

Here's an extremely good example of a sad song that comforts -- at least in my view. This is one of Peter Gabriel's best achievements. The instrumentation is really quite peculiar, but it works wonderfully well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

A bit of nostalgia from my childhood (which was late 60's to late 70's)

This song just hasn't got old, I have to say.

You may be interested to know that there's a wonderful tradition in Finland, started by just one man in the mid-to-late 1990s. No matter which band is playing and what kind of music is played, as long as the venue is small enough (i.e. club or smallish concert hall), you're almost guaranteed to hear someone shout "Play Paranoid!" at some point of the show. It's a joke that everybody's on, and it continues to be funny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ooh, fleas on rats, fleas on rats.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Just a bit of sound track music. Too many variants and cover versions on youtube to pick from, so I picked one from the tv series. It appeals to my inner Norse I guess.

• Like 1

^  I played Gabriel's "So", so many times. My fav album of his is still the self-titled one tho.
---------

I still casual-dance like this. :shifty:
Plus the song  is tops, of course. Every time I get a bit worn out by the current music styles I go back to this stuff. Thanks, parents.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

the first four peter gabriel albums were self titled: 77 (car), 78 (scratch), 80 (melt), 82 (security). am s'posing melt is our fave if we gotta choose.

HA! Good Fun!

If Melt was the black and white melting face cover, yes, that one. I haven't listened to it in a long time tbh. Which is true of most of the stuff I bought on vinyl/cassette tape and never bought CD/digital versions of later. Heh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

have shared multiple melt singles on this board, including family snapshot and biko not too long past, but has been a while since we listened to intruder

and

glen campbell is a challenge for us 'cause while am typical left with our jaw on the floor after listening to his guitar solos, is almost none o' his songs we enjoy. that shouldn't be possible, but still is.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

This is my son's favorite song.. this week

Don't worry, he's never seen the video

got a very powerful 80 synth-pop influence, which is not a criticism. see what he thinks o' tainted love, don't go (yazoo)... and 'bout 1000 others.

edit:

am s'posing the downside is your son might really like take on me, or one o' the other 80s synth pop tunes. can't imagine the agony o' listening to those over and over and overandoverandoverandover...

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

Mike Oldfield is someone I remember playing a lot during the 80's. In particular his collaboration with Maggie Reilly stands out in my memory... he made several albums before that, but they were probably a bit, not sure, too "artsy" for young Gorth? I since learnt to appreciate them and bought them all on cd, even if it took a few decades to appreciate them. Anyway, small cavalcade from my youth

And a slightly "newer" song, live from London (only 25 years ago 😂)

• Like 1

A Ukrainian band/woman with a very interesting singing style... styles? First a bit of reggae and then a clip from Wacken

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 1:29 AM, Gromnir said:

have shared multiple melt singles on this board, including family snapshot and biko not too long past, but has been a while since we listened to intruder

Intruder is such a creepy song. Gabriel sings it so softly and the lyric is so icky. I mean, at the end when he goes "intruder come and leave his mark", there's no question that the "come" has a double meaning and the guy is up to some rather ugly business at other people's houses.

And then, on the same album, there's that song of infinite childhood sadness and loneliness, Family Snapshot. There's a superb live version of it from Athens:

• Like 1