What You've Done Today - We do not remember days, we remember moments

ShadySands

Met the new cleaner at work, I made her day when I heard her speaking and greeted her in Ukrainian. Turns out she is from Mariupol đŸ˜±

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 4/8/2024 at 9:42 AM, Agiel said:

While I wait for <<The Old World>> Core Rulebook and <<Forces of Fantasy>> to come back in stock I thought it high time to finally finish a kit that languished in my pile of shame for too long:

qEt0pHV.jpg

gK4wOhO.jpg

ltP5hgB.jpg

ZAwNgop.jpg

Spoiler filter for a, shall we say... slightly spicy banner design:

Hide contents

LbuAM32.jpg

zj5M8Hh.jpg

Those look awesome! 👍

Waiting for the new Skaven models to be released before spending too much work on my 20 year old plastic rank and file rats (all my character and elite rats are metal miniatures)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hubby bought a car. A 14/15 year old Lexus-something (SUV, taller/boxier type, LX maybe,* I dunno/don't care) with 150K miles on it, which re: his back he says is "as good it as it seem like it's going to get."  And it was still 18k+. Apparently this is fair/normal market value, maybe even a little lower than average. I don't care how long the engine lasts these days, that's still ridiculous imo it should've been more like $13k at most, but whatever, we can afford it and I know I'm not with the times anymore. 😛 That said, he had it checked out by a Lexus dealer and a separate mechanic he's known for years, plus carfax, yadda yadda. Hubby's more like me now - outside of occasional work his miles per year is extremely low so it should be fine. 

At least I could drive it in emergency. It was long past time to get rid of that old Dodge van anyway, back or not.

*Edit: it's GX, not LX. I guess GX's are 60kish new while LX's are 80k-130k, which is just outrageous. GPU's, rent, houses...wtf greed. Yes yes there are cheaper cars. It's still all silly.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Took my mountain bike out on some hiking trails for a bit. Cursed my state when the cold whipping wind made me asthmatic and my vision started going red because I couldn't breathe after like just half an hour. I'm not allergic to anything (I've done one of those allergy test panels and nothing triggered), but exercising in the cold does tend to do me in. A small but athletic lady at the local bike shop that I was at recently was telling me how I should really get a steel mountain bike because sure, the bike is a lot heavier, but you can crash all you want and the bike will be fine, and if she can ride everywhere and carry her steel bike across streams and into her apartment without no issue, there's no way "somebody like you" couldn't handle a steel bike as well. Lady, while I may look young and in shape, I'm fairly confident that my moderately cripppled body would crumple and tear like tissue paper if I crashed all the time like you apparently do. I was both very envious of her and also felt like a million years old.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Being unnecessarily annoyed at Powershell and its needlessly descriptive names for commands.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Being unnecessarily annoyed at Powershell and its needlessly descriptive names for commands.

Embrace the future.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

3 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Embrace the future.

Seems like it.  Was trying to find a command for grep, missed findstr.  I prefer the comfort of bash and manpages.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wasn't today but the last weekend, but I made a dead(wood) hedge. I had to get rid of all the cut-off branches and stuff we removed from the neglected and overgrown neighboring property (which is now ours since new year) and thought that this might be a nice way of dealing with it:

hedge_1.jpeg?rlkey=hkw5o18kes1vzquwhultu

hedge_2.jpeg?rlkey=v9wkis6cn3vwhc76d5fu4

hedge_3.jpeg?rlkey=5xwbpeja1a6uu87fbje5t

• Like 7

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I went to a big BBQ/party at my sister's today. The weather did not completely cooperate, but it didn't rain enough to ruin the festivities. Obscene amounts of delicious food were consumed. The slaw I brought got wiped out quickly, so I'll take that as a success. Thank goodness I don't have to work tomorrow because I'm in a food coma and I'm not sure I'll recover by the morning. I ate enough to last me 3 days. :p

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
đŸ‡ș🇾RFK Jr 2024đŸ‡ș🇾

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hurt my back carrying my dog up the stairs this morning. She's only about 65-70 pounds but I'm getting old and didn't have great form with the lifting or the carrying.

• Sad 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

23 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Hurt my back carrying my dog up the stairs this morning. She's only about 65-70 pounds but I'm getting old and didn't have great form with the lifting or the carrying.

My lower back just started randomly hurting me yesterday. I was standing up and doing nothing. Could have been something else in the area too though.

• Sad 3

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I hurt my lower back when I was 19 and every couple of years it returns. It's usually something stupid and not in the least bit strenuous that sets it off. Sometimes I, like @Sarex, can't even figure out what caused it.:shrugz:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Sad 2

đŸ‡ș🇾RFK Jr 2024đŸ‡ș🇾

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I, too, had random back pain yesterday.

Clearly we are being targeted by the Russians.

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 2

I had my annual physical last week and everything is looking good. I was even able to lower my cholesterol by 24 points by altering my diet and exercising. And fish oil, a whopper of a fish oil pill every day. Im also happy to report, that after ~7000-9000 years of human society, the finger is no longer the best tool in our toolbox to check the prostate gland. That test has been completely abolished and replaced with a blood test. HUZZAH! Now just to mail them back a box of poop and I can forget about it all for the next three years.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I had my annual physical last week and everything is looking good. I was even able to lower my cholesterol by 24 points by altering my diet and exercising. And fish oil, a whopper of a fish oil pill every day. Im also happy to report, that after ~7000-9000 years of human society, the finger is no longer the best tool in our toolbox to check the prostate gland. That test has been completely abolished and replaced with a blood test. HUZZAH! Now just to mail them back a box of poop and I can forget about it all for the next three years.

Ick. I'll take the finger. No, the whole hand, rather than the needle đŸ€ą

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

33 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I'll take the finger. No, the whole hand

• Haha 1

đŸ‡ș🇾RFK Jr 2024đŸ‡ș🇾

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

You little perv you.... 😁

Edit: speaking of medical checks, I usually get checked twice a year, but the blood test etc. only once a year. I get a prefilled form (a requisition) from the doctor and take it to a lab of my own choosing at a time that suits me, so not too bad really. Crossing fingers and knock on wood, the results the last 6 years have been that of a healthy young man (despite me being anything but)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I swear, this forum has THE WORST ****ING SOFTWARE I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE ****ING LIFE. I have seen Geocities sites that were less of a pain to use. Whoever programmed this COLLOSAL PILE OF ****ING GARBAGE, I hope they were fired and never worked in software ever again.

I put up dealing with this DUMPSTER FIRE for as long as I did because I like Obsidian as a developer and I like many of the community here, but I just can't any more. 

Edited by Keyrock
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 2

đŸ‡ș🇾RFK Jr 2024đŸ‡ș🇾

Still struggling along with my sister getting my fathers things sorted after his passing. Not sure if the bereavement has kicked off the disrupted sleep issues the past month or so or something else, but has meant pushing through in a fairly constant state of tired bleh. Pondering on if that's a symptom of depression or if it's just the tired bleh talking. 😄

Need to figure out if there's a decent financial advisor to talk to about mortgages in the area, so I can start making decisions on whether I can buy out my sister's half of the house or I need to join her in selling it so I can get a new place.  I do not want to move my library....

• Sad 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

10 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I dont mind needles at all. I actually like to watch the blood draw. Nowadays she used a single needle attached to a hose and then a clear tube. She drew three vials by just inserting the vial into the tube, filling it, then taking it out and putting the next one in. So you only get stuck once.

10 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I swear, this forum has THE WORST ****ING SOFTWARE I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE ****ING LIFE. I have seen Geocities sites that were less of a pain to use. Whoever programmed this COLLOSAL PILE OF ****ING GARBAGE, I hope they were fired and never worked in software ever again.

I put up dealing with this DUMPSTER FIRE for as long as I did because I like Obsidian as a developer and I like many of the community here, but I just can't any more. 

I think we all know what the solution is.

jqbNs6j.jpeg

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

4 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I dont mind needles at all. I actually like to watch the blood draw. Nowadays she used a single needle attached to a hose and then a clear tube. She drew three vials by just inserting the vial into the tube, filling it, then taking it out and putting the next one in. So you only get stuck once.

We've been using "butterflies" for years (I seem to remember nurses using it in the 90s when I was hospitalized), but I still can't stand it, the feeling of the needle is enough to set me off. I can still take a prick though. :shifty:

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 2:33 AM, Gfted1 said:

Nice, great news. What exercising are you doing?

I have changed my cardio routine from a brisk walk to jogging, I hadnt jogged for 4 years so I started slow and didnt want to push myself but after 5 days I can do my whole route without stopping

Its amazing how quickly you can get back into fitness but I was walking fit but its not the same as jogging fit. I run through the CBD and then a park and I love the route and early morning activity 

Its about 4.5 km and I will expand the distance the fitter I get and I have been jogging for about 21 days 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

What exercising are you doing?

I dont want to oversell it, so lets call it "lite" exercising. I dont go to a gym or have any machines (I do have a workout bench), I just do bodyweight and dumbbell exercises in my own bedroom. With that said, once a day, every single day, I do the following:

As many pushups as I can do before I cant get up off the floor. Minimum 20, current max 23

80 crunches (20 top, bottom, r-side, l-side)

20 dumbbell bench with 25lb weight

20 dumbbell butterfly with 25lb weight

40 dumbbell curl with 25lb weight (20 right, left)

40 dumbbell lift with 25lb weight (20 right, left)

As you may notice, Im throwing the kitchen sink at myself and my methodology goes against recommendations of working muscle groups on certain days. Like back/biceps one day, chest/triceps the next day...that sort of thing. I just do everything everyday and let my body sort it out. :lol: However having exercised 112/114 days so far this year has yielded noticeable improvements in my stamina, physicality and internal health.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I dont want to oversell it, so lets call it "lite" exercising. I dont go to a gym or have any machines (I do have a workout bench), I just do bodyweight and dumbbell exercises in my own bedroom. With that said, once a day, every single day, I do the following:

As many pushups as I can do before I cant get up off the floor. Minimum 20, current max 23

80 crunches (20 top, bottom, r-side, l-side)

20 dumbbell bench with 25lb weight

20 dumbbell butterfly with 25lb weight

40 dumbbell curl with 25lb weight (20 right, left)

40 dumbbell lift with 25lb weight (20 right, left)

As you may notice, Im throwing the kitchen sink at myself and my methodology goes against recommendations of working muscle groups on certain days. Like back/biceps one day, chest/triceps the next day...that sort of thing. I just do everything everyday and let my body sort it out. :lol: However having exercised 112/114 days so far this year has yielded noticeable improvements in my stamina, physicality and internal health.

Its sounds very effective and if you noticing a difference thats all that matters 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela