What You've Done Today - We do not remember days, we remember moments

ShadySands

5 hours ago, Katphood said:

Had to put my eldest cat to sleep. Farwell, Xiu Xiu. Nothing will ever fill that empty space heart...

:(  What a beautiful black cat. Sorry for your loss.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Condolences, Katphood.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Condolences, Katphood.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Got home from the airport 2am this morning. Slept until late. Watched latest episode of ‘Frieren’ and at the local shopping Center now, buying groceries (having been away from home for close to a week). I feel tired 😝

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Blah blah blah some reference to some past thing:  "I wasn't even born then."

Oh wait .... a few braincells stir ... wait, no ... I'm now older than (that thing).

7490-steamsad-sm.png

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

First I had the bad arthritic knee episodes (mid-late 30's maybe?). Then it was the hands (off and on late 40's?).

Apparently, in my 50's, it's now time for ... the hips. It's not constantly painful, but they're stiff and feel weirdly a bit socket locked thus balance, turning, rolling (sleep is sporadic lately) is unstable and certain motions can trigger pain flares like my leg/s is/are tied to a moving horse.

Here's hoping it's like the knees/hands where in 6-10 months it may still feel a bit"off," but yet use-abilities are close-ish to normal.   😛

Wonder what it'll be in my 60's. Elbows? Good times.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

First I had the bad arthritic knee episodes (mid-late 30's maybe?). Then it was the hands (off and on late 40's?).

Apparently, in my 50's, it's now time for ... the hips. It's not constantly painful, but they're stiff and feel weirdly a bit socket locked thus balance, turning, rolling (sleep is sporadic lately) is unstable and certain motions can trigger pain flares like my leg/s is/are tied to a moving horse.

Here's hoping it's like the knees/hands where in 6-10 months it may still feel a bit"off," but yet use-abilities are close-ish to normal.   😛

Wonder what it'll be in my 60's. Elbows? Good times.

Sorry to hear that, do you get any medication against it?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Recently got the news that a former friend of the family was found dead by her son. Her son used to be a friend of mine until the end of school caused us to lose contact. Say what you will of the perils of mobile phones and social media, one thing they certainly made a lot easier is keeping in contact with each other. The only people from school I still have contact with were those from the vocational high school I went to - and that only because we all had instant messaging (anyone remember the then ubiquitous ICQ?) and mobile phones.

Friends and acquaintences from before, like the aforementioned son? No, not really.

Anyway, apparently she already had two heart attacks and was diabetic, and her health issues caught up with her. She also went through a lot of mental health issues, some ages ago, some years ago, some recently, like when she had an affair with a married man and did not take it too well that he would not leave his wife for her. She also had two sisters, and both commited suicide, one of them as a little girl, the other as adult.

The other sister was a former teacher of mine - sort of, she gave me (private) physics lessons when my school's physics education was, well, let's say, a little lacking in depth and focus. She had a stroke a couple of years ago, then fought tooth and nail to get enough control of her body back so she could end her life on her own terms. 

Wee, that post became a little bleaker than intended.

• Sad 6

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

18 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Sorry to hear that, do you get any medication against it?

"Take more advil if needed. Could be menopausal related, more exercise (motion is lotion, hey!), diet changes perhaps, wait and see" etc. So no. Most of such care I've already been doing anyway. Menopause hasn't been too bad for me, far as that all goes - dry eyes and some skin issues, I think the sleep sweats are over - but we'll see how that goes over time. I would like to avoid any hormone therapies. 😛 

• Like 3

Coincidentally, I was recently reacquainted with a person who I went to AE "A" school with 30 years ago in the Navy, and it turns out a different buddy of ours from the same class died last November. Since we are all around the same age I was bummed to think about the fragility of life. :( 

My daily light exercising continues unabated and Ive been able to increase the reps and weight for each exercise. Im still doing  just body weight and dumbbell exercises but I did buy myself a weight bench so I could get up off the damn floor lol: Amazon.com : Lusper Adjustable Weight Bench Foldable - 660 Lb Stable Workout Bench, Extended head and neck protection design, 3 Sec Fast Folding Multi-Purpose for Full Body Workout : Sports & Outdoors

Its really interesting to me that since 1 Jan I can already see improvements in my physique. Its like the slightest effort and the human body wants to jump into action. Feels good man.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Made hot cross buns that are not immediately fatal, so that's a plus. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

So will you share with the rest of us?

The next batch yes. They were very heavy, not sure why. Didn't proof very much

• Like 1

This is going to sound silly but apparently the best hip-therapy move for me so far was: folding a small dishtowel into a narrow rectangle and sticking it long ways under the middle of the extra cushion I have on my deskchair.  🤔

You know how most office/desk chairs (and car seats, and some living room chairs etc) have that dip/higher sides, or even a slant, like a racing car (which I hate, why do they do that)? My hips are small/narrow enough that before long I have a dip within that dip. Hubby, for example, gets much more even/flat across the chairseat wear. So I buy cushions. They just mold to the chair and simply end up with a dip within a dip too.

I would guess that creates too much outer hip pronation or something. I know when I get up after sitting for an hour or more sometimes I feel like my pelvis (walking) is really thrust inward/back. Exercises for "hip pronation" I saw on YT didn't help at all. Anyway, just that tiny bit of extra height in the middle and the cushion feels flat/not dippy, my pelvis doesn't feel pronated when I get up, etc. I've slept through the night several nights in a row. They're still stiff and somewhat achey but they don't want to/feel like they're going to pop out of socket with the barest of motion shifting now.

Bizarre. But hey if it works. Maybe exercise/s will be more effective now. When I was younger, body could cope with constant "dippy" chairs, now it can't or something. We'll see.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2

The government wants me to send them my poop in the mail.

I was selected for colon cancer screening it seems. there's a little plastic container thingie and an envelope with several hazmat seals.

I'm speechless.

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Our company is closing our local office so we all get to be full time remote instead of 2 days in office. I already was fully remote but I'm glad for the move.

• Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

12 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Our company is closing our local office so we all get to be full time remote instead of 2 days in office. I already was fully remote but I'm glad for the move.

As someone who has worked fully remote since Covid, I can relate 👍

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Joys of turning off a process that takes two hours to restart by accident. Fun day :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

---When you can sleep thru the night all of a sudden, you may sleep for 12 hours one time and totally ruin your sleep/wake schedule again for a while.  eg, "oh look, it's dawn again."  😛

---Me: "It just hit me that all your (heavy, cotton, short sleeve) t-shirts are grey/it's all you wear (nearly entire closet is grey). When did that happen, you used to have blues and beiges too at least."
---Hubby: "They fit like I want and it's only color they came in. I ordered some more this week too."
---Me: "Oh - I figured you were color coordinating, y'know, the grey hair."   *runs away*

• Haha 2

Today we had alot of snowfall, after having +15C this weekend, so on my way home I thought "hmm... rush hour, snow, idiots on the road everywhere. Better take the detour on my way home." 500 metres before the offramp there was a TA about an accident infront of me on the radio. I suddenly led an endless caravan of cars on a little road with 15cms of snow ontop through the woods, some poor bastard going the other way had to go into the traffic meeting spot, and I assume he's still waiting there XD

Edited by Azdeus
  • Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I've been feeling kind of weird lately and barely eating anything, I pretty much have to force myself to eat. This has been like this for almost a week now. I don't think it's COVID, which supposedly makes you lose your taste. My taste is fine, things taste exactly how I would expect them to taste, I just have zero desire to, even the thought of putting food in my mouth is off-putting. I can keep the food down and it tastes fine, great even if it's something I particularly like, but at the same time the food tastes good it feels bad going into my body. I don't know how else to describe it. I haven't been to a doctor to get it checked out because I am completely normal otherwise. If it lingers for much longer I guess I'll bite the bullet to get it checked out. Silver lining: This is doing wonders for weight loss. :lol:

• Gasp! 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks