What You've Done Today - We do not remember days, we remember moments

ShadySands

Given how unattached I am to my cell phone, landline is more convenient as I'll leave the phone in a room upstairs and miss calls if they do occur.Β  Land lines used to have the advantage of working through local blackouts but that's gone since we've moved to VOIP.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

With a long and tangled coiled telephone cord?

Oh no, I keep it untangled.Β  Can't stand tangled phone cords. >.<

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

4 hours ago, Amentep said:

I have a landline and its a rotary phone to boot. πŸ˜›

Β 

Reminds of thisΒ 

I still get a kick out of the fact that when my son does imaginary phone calls he does it with a flat hand instead of a fist with the thumb and pinky out, but that's what a phone is to him.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Haha 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 hours ago, Amentep said:

Oh no, I keep it untangled.Β  Can't stand tangled phone cords. >.<

I feel you, I have to deal with this all day.

MXUG1645.jpg

Every start of the day I have to untangle the unholy mess of 4 airhoses, one abs-cable and one power cable for the lights. 😭

• Sad 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

16 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I feel you, I have to deal with this all day.

MXUG1645.jpg

Every start of the day I have to untangle the unholy mess of 4 airhoses, one abs-cable and one power cable for the lights. 😭

I feel your pain. I only have to deal with 2 air hoses and 1 electrical cable. I do my best to keep them tidy but they inevitably get more and more tangled up. I'll untangle them only to have them tangled up again at the end of the day. There's nothing AFAIK that can be done to prevent this. I feel like Sisyphus.

Our air hoses connect to the trailer using gladhand connectors. I'm not sure what they use in your part of the world.

anBn

I don't know why it took me nearly half a century to discover this, but I've come upon the practice of lifting weights on an empty stomach and it's a game changer. It seems counterintuitive. Logically, I would think that consuming something relatively close to the start of a workout, especially something rich in simple sugars, would provide me with fuel, and thus energy, for the workout. And yet, when I lift on an empty stomach I have considerably more energy and get a better workout. Go figure.

:shrugz:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈRFK Jr 2024πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

36 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I don't know why it took me nearly half a century to discover this, but I've come upon the practice of lifting weights on an empty stomach and it's a game changer. It seems counterintuitive. Logically, I would think that consuming something relatively close to the start of a workout, especially something rich in simple sugars, would provide me with fuel, and thus energy, for the workout. And yet, when I lift on an empty stomach I have considerably more energy and get a better workout. Go figure.

:shrugz:

It takes energy to digest food, more for some types of food and less for other.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

5 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I feel your pain. I only have to deal with 2 air hoses and 1 electrical cable. I do my best to keep them tidy but they inevitably get more and more tangled up. I'll untangle them only to have them tangled up again at the end of the day. There's nothing AFAIK that can be done to prevent this. I feel like Sisyphus.

Our air hoses connect to the trailer using gladhand connectors. I'm not sure what they use in your part of the world.

Β 

We use similar connectors for a select few of our trailers, and the eastern european ones that show up, but generally our own trailers use duomatic connectors and VBG-power connectors (VBG = VΓ€nersborg)

4528040010-3_tif.pnga2d9-0498-201712-0-2-500x500.gif2223?width=600&height=600&version=1&s=00

Generally we don't have handles on the gladhands, but just the headpart, which is terribly inconvenient.

Duomatic connectors also have the perk of (usually) not breaking if you forget to disconnect the hose. One might think that professional drivers wouldn't forget something like that, but the number of torn off ABS-connectors we have each day is embarrassing...

If you have the option of mounting duomatic connectors on your trailer I'd take it, they're bloody lovely in comparison :) Pull down the handle, mate the hose part and release the handle, no effort required and only one connector to deal with ❀️

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

It takes energy to digest food, more for some types of food and less for other.

I typically don't eat at work for that very reason, it feels like I hit a stone wall after eating. >_<

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 11/2/2023 at 8:51 PM, ShadySands said:

Yeah, I do it when I go to different grocery stores too.Β 

Β 

Interesting. I might give it a shot. :lol:

I've considered getting one of those "really old fart" not-smart/no-screen/giant numbers mobile phones and the cheapest mobile plan to go with it possible and use that as a registering number, tossing the phone in a box in the garage. But eh.

Sidenote: I remember how much I loved it when I bought one of those super long curly landline phone handset cords. 12 feet or more, I think it was. I could walk around my whole room while on the phone for hours with my friends, instead of being stuck by the wall/on a chair. it was amazing!

• Like 1
β€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm visiting OBS this week - which is most wonderful :). So, Saturday included a run along the beach in Newport. This is always an interesting journey to see the diversity of the sand denizens. From sparkly sequins to electric boarders to those who shine in non-conformity ... kind of reminds me of The Outer Worlds each visit ;)

• Like 7

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Worked all night and removed a small mouse from my garage. I feel bad for it but I tried to release it somewhere nice. It was a cute little pest.

Lovely! On our wedding night, in a lake side resort, a wee mouse got stuck in the garbage can and woke us on our first night. I quietly let it go and hope the owls did not see it suddenly running free :)

• Like 3

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Spent most of the day in the garage and changed my front wheel hubs to try and fix my ABS-light problem. The brakepads on the right wheel were riding the disc, so I was prepared to change pads and discs. I didn't end up changing the discs because besides some rust they were fine, and it really hurt to change the pads, because even though I've driven some 100 000km on them, they were barely worn. I also installed a Malpassi progressive 1:1.7 fuel pressure regulator so I can up my turbo pressure some more.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In preparation for an upcoming medical exam (routine check) I just had to drink half a liter of a solution containing a total of 3 grams of salt (for those of you who cannot into proper measurements, that is a little less than a pint of liquid containg roughly 0.1 oz salt).

Needless to say that was utterly disgusting, even with the added mango aroma and included sweetener.

Second dose coming up in a couple of hours with even more salt. Yuck.

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

59 minutes ago, majestic said:

In preparation for an upcoming medical exam (routine check) I just had to drink half a liter of a solution containing a total of 3 grams of salt (for those of you who cannot into proper measurements, that is a little less than a pint of liquid containg roughly 0.1 oz salt).

Needless to say that was utterly disgusting, even with the added mango aroma and included sweetener.

Second dose coming up in a couple of hours with even more salt. Yuck.

Sometimes I think the pre-exam supplements are just medical professionals ****ing with us.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"YouΒ are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfullyΒ it seems like the creatorsΒ like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don'tΒ forgetΒ the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"AreΒ you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feralΒ camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Proved myself a master of SQL optimization by realizing joining on a table of 1 billion rows isn't smart in SQL Server.Β  Always a good sign when my SSMS crashes running a select count(1) on a table.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

29 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Proved myself a master of SQL optimization by realizing joining on a table of 1 billion rows isn't smart in SQL Server.Β  Always a good sign when my SSMS crashes running a select count(1) on a table.

You can filter down the large table first and than join on that result. It should speed things up I think.

If you were in oracle I would say just add

/*+ PARALLEL(128) */

They never did catch me in the act. πŸ˜‚

Edited by Sarex

17 minutes ago, Sarex said:

You can filter down the large table first and than join on that result. It should speed things up I think.

If you were in oracle I would say just add

/*+ PARALLEL(128) */

They never did catch me in the act. πŸ˜‚

Pretty sure the filtering will also take a while. Big problem in the query is th CPU and I/O cost being mental. We have this practice of just making tables and never pruning them.Β  The table in question is holding data I'm not sure anyone cares about past 6 months, much less 3 years.

• Hmmm 1

51 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Pretty sure the filtering will also take a while.

You are probably right, I never was very good with it. πŸ˜„

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

The table in question is holding data I'm not sure anyone cares about past 6 months, much less 3 years.

Make an archive table for anything past 6 months?

7 minutes ago, Sarex said:

You are probably right, I never was very good with it. πŸ˜„

Make an archive table for anything past 6 months?

I'm only as good as the last thing I checked Stack Overflow was πŸ˜›Β 

That could work, going to a colossal pain in the ass to do that, probably batches.

gun-to-head-nodding.gif

Β 

Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Came to work and did the pre startup check on the tractor. Noticed the wheel nuts on the front right side were all loose, and there was a decent amount of oil coming from the area. Turns out the wheel hub and rims are borked, and there is lubricant all over the brakes.

On a more positive note, my ABS warning light has not stayed on after prestart checkup. πŸ‘

• Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1

9 hours ago, Malcador said:

Keys are the key to success πŸ˜‚

Ok, they are only part of the recipe for living happily ever after. Don't throw the predictions out of whack by ruining the statistics (used for the optimized pre-fetch routines internally) and if you have at your disposal, set up some data cubes that gets updated with key information over time, rather than all 1 billion on that day you want to leave early 😝

Β 

Assuming a fair sized client, they would have their stuff in a SAN. Are the data files, log files, tembdb etc. each on their own RAID10's ???

• Thanks 2

β€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein