What You've Done Today - We do not remember days, we remember moments

ShadySands

Well I'm maneuvering around the oddments of life at the moment. On my Mando front, I have to admit, I have been procrastinating the last few months. For some reason I just can't focus my oomph to get back to the sanding and cleaning of my armour to get it all sorted for the app process. That, plus as I developed the basic leatherworking skills to design and craft the holsters, belts and related paraphernalia, I keep getting hit by design ideas for a full leather Early Crusader Mando kit.  To try and get some crafting oomph out of the way I've started working the leather into the fantasy armour as a practice and learning process.

Between juggling the work stuff, and keeping an eye on my father in case he takes any sudden health turns, I'm starting to wrap up the last few things I need to sort before heading to New Orleans in a couple of weeks. Catch up with friends, amuse their kids, deliver Cadbury chocolate, see the French Quarter, raise my cholesterol, spend an hour or two poking in the Tandy Leather store for tools and such it's a pain to find or ship normally...   I should probably highlight a few other things to do.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On 9/21/2023 at 4:53 PM, Hurlshort said:

It sounds like he would benefit from stem cell therapy. Insurance won't cover it, but I've heard it is miraculous.

I know zero about that, re: spinal degeneration potentials, I'll ask hubby if he's looked into it. The doc spent like 45 minutes with hubby outlining the conditions and possibilities but probably if it's not done/covered by the hospital he wouldn't mention it. He did mention the spinal fusion but heavily did not recommend it - I wouldn't either, to me that sounds like a last resort type of thing. Hubby's mobile enough for day to day, so if pain can be managed life could be "all right" overall. But all those car/handy man tools/supplies etc. are probably going to be dumped.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Took a lunch break from doing leather dying.  Discovered my glove had a pinprick hole in it, and my thumb is now dyed oxblood red.

However, besides that, I now have an articulated torso plate set mostly done.

20230923_164447.jpg?width=640&height=640

And the back half...

20230923_174347.png?width=640&height=640

Keeping it all fairly simple as I learn and refine some of the basic techniques.

Tomorrow will likely be figuring out making and attaching buckles and straps to connect and wear it...

• Like 6

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

If I lived in ye ole tymes I'd probably wind up rocking a gambeson. Let's face it, I wouldn't be able to afford fancy plate armor and padded/quilted armor tends to get a raw deal in RPG systems. It was actually shockingly effective at keeping blades and arrows from penetrating. I guess the idea is similar to using a phone book these days as poor man's armor. A sheet of paper ain't stopping $#!+ but 200 sheets of paper together will stop a bullet... Well, some bullets. By that same token a single layer of cloth ain't stopping much, but a whole bunch of them quilted together is surprisingly difficult to penetrate.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hubby got a letter from Bank of America saying his CC something or other was denied. We don't have any Bank of America stuff. >.>

Someone took out accounts with BoA in his name etc. Then got red-flagged trying to do stuff with them. We've been very careful/lucky in that all our lives but finally got hit with something. What a PITA.

• Gasp! 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

A deaf girl has started to drive for my workplace, and I've been hanging around her when she shows up to make sure she's ok, since I know a teeny lil bit of Swedish sign language unlike my colleagues. I feel bad for her when something is broken and her hands are full of grease and her only way of communicating is her tapping out messages on her cellphone. Naturally, merciless teasing has begun. 🙄

And I've to both of our amusement noticed how much of an automatic action it is for me to turn down the radio when I stop to talk to a driver 😄

It does sometimes fall into David Armand territory for me though 😅

• Like 5

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Had the day off to take dog to rehab from his spinal operation.

Also learned Russian music goes very well with weapons fire.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Naturally, merciless teasing has begun. 🙄

am not sure why we expect different.

if you were talking about a group o' school-aged kids teasing somebody with a disability, we would not be shocked 'cause kids is all sociopaths until their brain develops, and full brain development don't happen for a few not-adults until they hit their early twenties. we coached football (american) and mock trial at the high school level, and it always bothered us when we saw kids channeling lord of the flies in real-time. if one snot-nosed brat had asperger's syndrome, a speech impediment or even a skin condition, the other kids would find ways subtle and overt to make the weak or different kid suffer. 

am assuming azdeus does not work with a bunch o' adolescents. no excuses.

aside, we spoke with our home and auto insurance guy today. we made minor adjustments to our coverage on three properties. no biggie. however our agent waited until the end o' the call to let us know that in less than six months we could expect a ~30% rate jump. explanation for the anticipated larger bill were the combination o' increasing natural disaster frequency coupled with inflation. according to our agent, most major insurance carriers were gonna be adopting something close to 30%. 'course is not as if most landlords is gonna just eat that additional cost. rents is gonna increase proportional, if not more. 

incomes hardly change at all, but the cost o' everything else increases?  

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

11 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

I assumed the teasing is directed at Azdeus as he comedically uses sign language. :)

that makes more sense, though one wonders how azdeus coworkers recognize comedic sign language efforts, unless they is all well-versed in sign language. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My best friend in kindergarten was this very silly and incredibly sweet mute girl named Haley, but she sadly moved away during the next summer. She really helped me with a lot of things I was struggling with during that first year of school, and I'd always wished she hadn't moved away in the ensuing years...though I'd myself move away a handful of years later, and then again, and again, and again thereafter. Anyways, moral of the story being, try to treat people with kindness and you might make some genuinely good friends from it, though it's obviously a lot more difficult in adulthood than it is as a schoolkid.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 4

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

17 hours ago, Gromnir said:

that makes more sense, though one wonders how azdeus coworkers recognize comedic sign language efforts, unless they is all well-versed in sign language. 

HA! Good Fun!

Mostly because she's quite bemused, and sometimes confused, by my attempts, and some of the teasing is directed at me from giving her more attention than other drivers. I learned today that she doesn't read lips either since she's only ever really used sign language in school and in private. Thankfully (For me) she's good at shaping words, so I can read her lips more than try to follow along her blisteringly fast signing, since I'm hearing impaired I've always used lip reading as support for my bad hearing.

That said, with the exception of three coworkers, 9 are young enough that I could've been their father without breaking any laws. Edit; Thankfully, they aren't childish enough to make fun of someones disability, except ribbing me a bit when I can't hear what the F they are yabbering about over the radio. 😄

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Hospital waiting room, waiting. 

Theres a single flyer mag on a bench. Everyone has phones now I guess. =]

Gosh it takes forever to scroll emoticon list to bottom on the phone. 

Just bought a vinyl cutter: Sentinel 13in. Vinyl Cutter | Floor and Decor. Oy why do I open these cans of whoopass on myself!? :lol: Anyhow, having the right tools for the job can really trivialize a lot of the aspects. Also hit up an estate sale on the way home and got two metal shelving units for my garage for $20! I didnt even have the heart to negotiate back, I just said "sold". :lol:

• Like 1

Finally got to use "I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further" when updating a database table.  Sadly, only one dev got it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Why me?"... not sure how I get into these situations. The granddaughter of one of my dads friends is on a trip to Australia (amongst other countries) and she realized her budget was no good, living abroad is (surprise!) more expensive than when at home, benefiting from your own place, your own network etc. She asked me (because my dads friend gave her my phone no.) if I knew of any work (part time, whatever) she could do to make funds last a bit longer, but told her it's not a good idea. Before you get on the plane to the last country to visit, immigration will put you on a plane back to Denmark right away if you get caught. Offering the next best solution, she can stay at my place for a while, get food and a roof over her head for a couple of weeks at no cost. Yeah, going to get stuck for a while with a girl that is barely more than a third of my age 😖

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

This weekend I completed the Tour de Cure and rode 100 miles around Napa Valley. It was a beautiful day, although the sun didn't come out until mile 50 or so. We raised $25k, so another good year of fundraising.

edi385265885_10224899547820662_583314609567

edit: Finished in 5:30, which was just a tad slower than last year. I'll take it. I got a bit nauseous around mile 75 and slowed it down, but it passed and I felt ok at the end. 

Edited by Hurlshort
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I will turn 54 soon.

grumpy-sad-smiley-emoticon.png

Enjoy it while you're still young (58 next time) 😝

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I will turn 54 soon.

grumpy-sad-smiley-emoticon.png:dancing:

Nice, is this the invite to the party? What time, what must we bring ....I assume you supplying the alcohol 🥂:dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I will turn 54 soon.

grumpy-sad-smiley-emoticon.png

Early Happy Birthday, LC