The All Things Political Topic - Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex

Gromnir

17 hours ago, ShadySands said:

It's like nuTrek being so bad that I'm like let's watch Enterprise

Let's not go that far.

Biden is the world's most laughable centrist with dementia and he needed to retire a decade ago. But he's going to have a lock on the popular vote and a more than good chance of the electoral college ****show when his opposition is as odious as it is. I wish Democrats could universally be as good as they are in Minnesota, but it seems they've largely decided to bank more on not being cartoonishly evil than on doing anything good.

**** sucks.

15 minutes ago, majestic said:

Waiting for @Azdeus to show up and tell us how

Reveal hidden contents

salmon with ketchup on pizza

is a national dish in Sweden. :p

Sweden must be destroyed.

But we do have some good news here for once.

Based auto workers.

Edited by PK htiw klaw eriF

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

23 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Let's not go that far.

I did, recently. Well, almost.

Began a rewatch of Star Trek: Voyager, and I found myself not minding that Janeway's got bipolar disorder and should be in a loony bin instead of the bridge of a starship. I also no longer mind that the writers had no idea what to do with Chakotay outside of focus episodes that smack of stereotypes. Heck, I even enjoyed the discount Klingon episodes, and what is the most damning, I sat through all of Threshold and thought to myself: "Yeah, that's stupid, but you know what, it is not as bad as I remember."

I can already see myself liking Enterprise sometime soon. Maybe I won't even hate Wil Wheaton's guts in the near future. Nu-Trek is insidious. Like mirror universe root beer.

4c4e5200-50c6-11eb-bbbf-879426cabd80_120

I know. It's so dark, edgy...and unhappy. And you know what's really frightening? If you watch enough of it, you begin to like it.

You know, I probably spent as much time making fun of the show here on the forum as I spent time watching it, and I had to look up the names of these characters to find an image. All they really are, in essence, from left to right: gayer, gay, and non-binary. That is the in-universe equivalent of Anthony Rapp only being known as the guy who was fondled by Kevin Spacey. They're making Chakotay look good. Help.

Well, enough of being off-topic.

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

4 minutes ago, majestic said:

I did, recently. Well, almost.

Look, I (re)watched four Star Trek shows relatively recently and of those Voyager was by far the worst but it is still far better than Enterprise...which I didn't watch because it is awful. I **** you not, Enterprise is what made me lose all interest in Star Trek as a kid and the few episodes I've seen as an adult were terrible at best. I would rather stare at a blank wall for an hour than watch Enterprise.

What does this have to do with politics.....well regardless of the quality of NuTrek (which I have never seen and doubt exists), the workers deserve better than the corps raw dogging them so some dip**** exec can buy a third house. You can apply this to workers in any industry and it's just as true, which is why unions and strikes should be supported on principle.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

12 minutes ago, majestic said:

Fixed that for you.

60d878b30f3e87001efa19a4.jpg

you make good points their :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

We're also rewatching Voyager and it's still as bad but not as bothersome. Just like Mitt Romney. Politics.

You can always rewatch What We Do In The Shadows or DS9.....I don't think there's a political equivalent of that. Unfortunately.

off topic, but am gonna note we watched voyager for ensign lon suder.

edit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/09/16/texas-attorney-general-paxton-impeachment-verdict/

texas once again trying to out do florida.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

off topic, but am gonna note we watched voyager for ensign lon suder.

well, brad dourif is a national treasure, so who can blame you

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

edit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/09/16/texas-attorney-general-paxton-impeachment-verdict/

texas once again trying to out do florida.

HA! Good Fun!

I didn't keep up with this enough to understand the whys, but I sure thought it was odd the Republican House overwhelmingly decided to impeach him but the Republican Senate overwhelmingly decided against convicting.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

I have done weirder things...

interesting. we haven't. 

the last trek we watched every episode 'pon release, baring the unforeseen, were ds9. rather early into voyager's first season we realized we were not a true trek fan who would suffer many bad episodes in the hope we would get lucky and enjoy an infrequent good offering.  am now having seen every voyager episode, but we didn't accomplish such an arduous task until a couple years post the initial dvd release... so, 2006 or thereabouts?

that said, in spite o' our voyager cynicism, is no way we were gonna miss brad dourif episodes o' voyager.  paul williams' guest spot were also can't miss for us even though it weren't great tv. edit: joel grey and scott thompson also were guests who inspired us to tune into voyager when their episodes were broadcast. converse, in spite o' being a ray walston fan, we skipped the boothby installments o' voyager.

to keep on topic, am a trek fan same way am a traditional conservative. we most certain do not vote for every gop candidate. we have seen extreme little trek since discovery first aired--2017. is also approximate when we said our final fu to the republican party and any republican candidate who refuses to speak out against sh!te such as muslim ban, the fed portland response and january 6. with an extreme brief viewing o' discovery, we realized we no longer recognized trek. we similar don't recognize the gop o' trump, mtg, gaetz, hawley and so many others. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I didn't keep up with this enough to understand the whys, but I sure thought it was odd the Republican House overwhelmingly decided to impeach him but the Republican Senate overwhelmingly decided against convicting.

This is a decent enough write up.

The TL;DR is that Paxton tried to get Texas to pay a $3.3 million settlement to the whistleblowers, the house investigated him and found that he did that **** and more, and then impeached him based on what their investigation had found. Almost immediately it got turned from a question of Paxton's conduct into an ideological cluster****, with a laughable story that the impeachment happened because Dade Phelan was trying to get rid of Paxton on Joe Biden's/George Soros'/The Bush Dynasty's orders being peddled. Politics being what they are, it's not surprise that after the narrative becoming one of Paxton being persecuted by Democrats/RINOs that he was acquitted on party lines.

It's going to be funny if Paxton ends up getting found guilty on the federal charges related to this case or as a result of the securities fraud trial he's been dodging for almost a decade, but frankly I was more surprised that he was impeached by the house in the first place. I'd bet both my vehicles that we're going to see a lot of the house Republicans who voted to impeach Paxton get primaried next year in retaliation for this. 2024 is looking to be awful.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 11:51 PM, majestic said:

Waiting for @Azdeus to show up and tell us how

Hide contents

salmon with ketchup on pizza

is a national dish in Sweden. :p

Don't be silly, that'd never be our national dish, it's not rotten enough.

That said, it's not unheard of with salmon on pizza here. I'd say the tomato sauce counts for ketchup 😄 Salmon is a bit expensive to have on pizza though, but tuna is pretty common.

Mackerel in tomato sauce on a sandwich is nice though. 🤤

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

57 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Don't be silly, that'd never be our national dish, it's not rotten enough.

That said, it's not unheard of with salmon on pizza here. I'd say the tomato sauce counts for ketchup 😄 Salmon is a bit expensive to have on pizza though, but tuna is pretty common.

Omg I loved those sandwiches with mackerel in tomato sauce when I was living in Denmark 

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

Omg I loved those sandwiches with mackerel in tomato sauce when I was living in Denmark 

https://www.sunnysidecircus.com/countries/sweden/food-drinks-sweden/surstromming/

This is something  Nordic I definitely want to try, I have seen it eaten so many times on the food channels and its on my bucket list 

I imagine this is something that you Nordic members like   @xzar_monty, @Azdeus and even @Pidesco ( its common for Portuguese people to eat fish dishes  like sardines ) have eaten a lot and its appreciated :dancing:

I know it has an odour to it but that doesnt represent the taste and that applies to most food that has a strong smell like blue cheese. The delicious taste is nothing like the smell

@Gfted1 and @ShadySands have you guys heard about this fish dish? Well worth trying if you can get it 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.sunnysidecircus.com/countries/sweden/food-drinks-sweden/surstromming/

This is something  Nordic I definitely want to try, I have seen it eaten so many times on the food channels and its on my bucket list 

I imagine this is something that you Nordic members like   @xzar_monty, @Azdeus and even @Pidesco ( its common for Portuguese people to eat fish dishes  like sardines ) have eaten a lot and its appreciated :dancing:

I know it has an odour to it but that doesnt represent the taste and that applies to most food that has a strong smell like blue cheese. The delicious taste is nothing like the smell

@Gfted1 and @ShadySands have you guys heard about this fish dish? Well worth trying if you can get it 

This thread is decidedly more fun when nobody is on topic. :p

Best thing to come out of Portugal: https://nuriartisanalsardine.com/produtos/?lang=en :) Feel free to disagree, but know that you're wrong.

5 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Salmon is a bit expensive to have on pizza though, but tuna is pretty common.

Tuna pizza is probably a staple everywhere, I think. Nothing wrong with that, although I prefer pasta with tuna, which is fantastic and easy to do.

5 hours ago, Azdeus said:

That doesn't count, mackerel in (tomato) sauce is great. Next to several cans of Nuri we always have some canned mackerel too. Generally don't put them on a sandwich though, usually just straight from the can with a kaiser roll or rye bread. Mackerels also make great Steckerlfische, don't let the silly purists tell you otherwise if you're ever in a place where you can get them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

remember pizza with cod on them a few time

doesn't have much of a taste

Where do you live uuhhii?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

absolutely-not-nope.gif

Feel free to try it though, but make a mistake opening one of those cans and you will ruin your home for months to come. You would also be lucky to get one of those cans, since Swedens bass ackwards fishing policies we've overfished like crazy. I read that a can can go for upwards of 250$ on some trading sites.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

We did it, we got Hunter Biden!

Had a good laugh at Boebert but mostly I just feel sorry for her. I know she's horrible but I'm not, at least not totally.

Not sure that being publicly drunk and getting diddled while sitting around children before you do a full on "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM" Karen episode and then lying about all of it is really a situation that warrants much sympathy - any one much less all four of those are enough to make me hate somebody. Unless I missed something that happened even more recently than that... Like, just don't be a complete trashcan of a person in public.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

23 hours ago, BruceVC said:

The term "bucket list" is strangely appropriate here, because if you don't heed proper precautions, a bucket is what you'll need. Unless you have an extraordinarily strong constitution, you will vomit if you open the can in the wrong way or remain too close to it for too long. (Plenty of youtube videos on this, by the way, some of them positively Rabelaisian.)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

The term "bucket list" is strangely appropriate here, because if you don't heed proper precautions, a bucket is what you'll need. Unless you have an extraordinarily strong constitution, you will vomit if you open the can in the wrong way or remain too close to it for too long. (Plenty of youtube videos on this, by the way, some of them positively Rabelaisian.)

Yes I can imagine but I have also seen numerous food channel shows where celebrity chefs eat this fish and they fine with it, they always comment on its smell but they generally positive on the taste or rather they rationale about its taste 

But also you have to  have gastronomic fortitude and experience to eat this type of food, I imagine people who end up vomiting arent very experimental and didnt prepare themselves for the taste of this type of food. About 20 years I changed my eating habits and now I eat everything, except for insects, and I will at least try anything once. For example I love tripe, offal and I eat every part of the animal

One day I want to try this dish but we dont get it in SA and no one I know is interested 

John Milton