Cinema and Movie Thread: flickering images

Chairchucker

10 hours ago, Chairchucker said:

Hmmm, it seeeeems like Ezra might be a terrible person, so I might skip that one.

I'd say they are trending closer to criminally insane rather than your garden variety terrible Hollywood celebrity. I'm surprised WB went forward with them as the face of the franchise, to be honest. I guess WB figured it was already a sunk cost.

I bet they will cut him off right after the movie is out. If I remember right, it was pretty much already done when the wild stuff about him dropped in the media. And like it or not, so far the movie looks like the perfect starting ground to reboot their whole universe thing.. and they really don't want to miss out on that.

Personally I'm really damn tired of super hero movies and franchise reboots and whatnot.

However, will likely try to watch this one at some point, just because there is more Batman in it, and lets be honest, Batman is pretty much the only good thing about the DC stuff for years now.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

I'd say they are trending closer to criminally insane rather than your garden variety terrible Hollywood celebrity. I'm surprised WB went forward with them as the face of the franchise, to be honest. I guess WB figured it was already a sunk cost.

Sunk cost <--> tax write off, as other relatively close to finished products have become. While the "Zaslav has seen it three times, thinks it's the best superhero movie of all time! Of all time!!!" stuff is, maybe just perhaps, marketing hype it is entirely possible they genuinely think it's good and will do well at the box office.

(Will be interesting to find out whether Miller's cameo in the TV Flash version of Crisis was some sort of reciprocal thing for a similar (same?) scene in the Flash movie. It was certainly shot noticeably differently than the rest of the episode(s) were- and was actually kept a pretty good secret unlike a lot of the other cameos like Lucifer/ Ellis)

I think I'm going to do an Andy Sidaris-a-thon. I don't think I'm going to watch all... 11? 12? Of his so called "Girls With Guns" movies, but I'm definitely watching the first 4: Malibu Express, Hard Ticket To Hawaii, Picasso Trigger, and Savage Beach. His movies feature lots of gratuitous boobs and butts, terrible acting, cheesy lighthearted action, tongue in cheek dialogue, and absurd moments, but they are well shot. Andy Sidaris was an Emmy Award winning director for his coverage of the Olympics. Fun fact: That shot is sports coverage where the camera finds a cheerleader or an attractive lady in the crowd and zooms in tight on her (colloquially known as the "bimbo shot"), he invented that. Absolute ****ing legend! Anyway, this should be a good time.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

4 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Andy Sidaris was an Emmy Award winning director for his coverage of the Olympics. Fun fact: That shot is sports coverage where the camera finds a cheerleader or an attractive lady in the crowd and zooms in tight on her (colloquially known as the "bimbo shot"), he invented that.

A true man of culture.

• Thanks 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Feyd-Rautha is an albino ? Ah, wait, that part looks like it's in black and white.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

24 minutes ago, Sarex said:

21873a12-e0b1-47bf-9969-acb0489482f4-Get

• Gasp! 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Should have cast Ed Sheeran as Feyd.

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm hoping Neil releases the movie in 4K UHD so that we can see his spectacular special effects in their full glory.:yes:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Requiem for a Dream (2000). Having finally watched this dumpster fire, it doesn't really even feel worth the effort to talk about. Honestly, I didn't think I could possibly like this less than Black Swan, but here we are. Someone shove a rusty pike up Darren Aronofsky's ass, it'd probably make for more entertainment than anything he's ever made.

• Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

6 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Requiem for a Dream (2000). Having finally watched this dumpster fire, it doesn't really even feel worth the effort to talk about. Honestly, I didn't think I could possibly like this less than Black Swan, but here we are. Someone shove a rusty pike up Darren Aronofsky's ass, it'd probably make for more entertainment than anything he's ever made.

Did it feel like a blatant crib of Perfect Blue to you as well?

• Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

19 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

But it gave us the never overused Lux Aeterna.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

22 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Did it feel like a blatant crib of Perfect Blue to you as well?

There were some lifted visuals (the bathtub scene, trashing the room, the dress, probably some other stuff I didn't consciously notice...) and you could also probably make a case for some re-used ideas that were implemented somewhat differently, but I don't think those are necessarily heinous in of themselves. No, I think Black Swan was pretty clearly the pathetic rip-off of Perfect Blue which took it many steps farther than Requiem for a Dream did, which is why even though I hate Black Swan, I still found at least a few things in it to appreciate...unlike with Requiem for a Dream here, which I despise with practically every fibre of my being for a multitude of reasons. Bleh. That rat bastard had the gall to claim he wasn't inspired by Perfect Blue, too.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The Sidaris-a-thon begins:

eAMKBJu.jpeg

Malibu Express (1985) - Cody Abilene is a private eye from a well to do family who is hired to investigate an affluent family, though his employers don't tell him what they're really after. A murder at a party throws everyone in and around the family under suspicion.

Tonally, this movie is a lot like Smokey & The Bandit except nowhere near as good. You've got your schlongsure playboy protagonist, bumbling villainous goons, and wacky side characters. The acting ranges from passable to bad, but at least all the cinematography is well done. On the bright side, there is an abundance of nudity from a myriad of attractive people and a fun side plot where Cody is an absolutely dreadful shot with his Dirty Harry-esque .44 Magnum revolver. 

Not Andy Sidaris' best work, but not terrible either.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸