What are you Playing Now? It's not how you play the game, it's how you place the blame

17 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

People thought for pc gaming it was going to be "16 system ram isn't enough anymore, better get 32"
But the real issue will end up being "Anything less than 16 Vram is a toaster/barely minimum 720p req." 

And 24+ vram is only going to be on the top tier gpu's. Or maybe they'll start selling separated add-on VRAM modules, or something. 😛

So I just ordered a 24 GB RX7900 XTX. Significant discount over other available RTX4080 cards, which is pretty much what it equates to, except way more VRAM and way worse RT performance. 

I dunno, it just kinda happened. I was resigned to not spending boatloads of money on PC parts, but to be honest I had started noticing the VRAM problem in other games as well. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

@Gorgon Yeah, I've been noticing ever increasing vram usage for a bit too, mostly on 'next gen' or AAA games as they are getting pushed out now, but I think it'll become more prevalent even below that, before too long. Outside of "poor ports/poor coding" etc, it's just one of those fast major transitional periods.  I'm still trying to hold out until the 50xx period before building a new rig - I think there would be too many bottlenecks or mobo/other issues to just upgrade gpu, from my wants anyway.

2080ti was a 'joke' to some re: performance/cost ratios but hey, at least it had 11 vram, even if it's slower vram, so I'm still marginally pushing thru so far.  😄 

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh, btw, what I've seen bandied around is high vram use is in part because of next-gen games wanting to shift primarily to streaming assets in real time from (currently often faster for the desired task, if your gpu isn't really old) video memory rather than constant load screens and whatnot. And such assets (like the textures) getting bigger and bigger, ofc. 

Per usual, only what I've seen mentioned around, feel free to correct me.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Before I got it on steam I tried TLOU on the Playstation Plus PC client, it's their streaming service, It ran pretty well.  Unfortunately you can't buy a game and stream it to your PC, it's just a random assortment that changes every so often. Some input lag, but not very noticable. 

Although I suppose the point is to steam frames, not GPU assets, so they can keep requirements very low. If you have a playstation 5 i believe you can stream your whole library to your Ipad, or ****ty laptop when you are out and about as long as you have good internet. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

:lol:
Like RE4-RM, you may be able to run it while exceeding your Vram by 1-2gb but that likely increases stutter/poor performance etc.

TLoU-VRAM.jpg

Screencapped from Hardware Unboxed's test/benchmakring video.

Managed to beat all bosses in SIFU. I found 3rd and bosses to be massive difficulty spikes. Now trying to spare them, which proves more difficult than I expected - I am training to parry and deflect more, which I think will be good for my kung-fu. 

I really like the combat system, though I don’t think bosses work as well as mobs. They seem to be more of a test of particular gameplay system, than interesting challenge in themselves. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 2

On 4/1/2023 at 4:16 AM, LadyCrimson said:

:lol:
Like RE4-RM, you may be able to run it while exceeding your Vram by 1-2gb but that likely increases stutter/poor performance etc.

TLoU-VRAM.jpg

Screencapped from Hardware Unboxed's test/benchmakring video.

So, I got an upgrade and a downgrade rolled into one. I installed my shiny new XTX 7900 and I couldn't post. A day of troubleshooting later and I suspect a bad ram stick, but, worse, possibly also a bad ram slot. As if it had shorted somehow or damaged both. I have no idea what I did, other than move some cabling around. It was probably gonna go at some point nomatter what. I can post with 32 gb single channel. So I guess I'll find out what impact on experience it actually has. 

The  game set everything to ultra by default and has been rebuilding shaders for half an hour. I'm at 18%

Yay. 

EDIT

The effect of single channel ram appears to be to put a cap on framerates.  The difference between 4k ultra settings and dlls performance med/high settings comes to around 10 fps. Indicating a severe bottleneck. I guess I'm getting a board and some new ram. 

• Sad 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Played all 3 Mass Effects in a row and here's what I think. 

(Though truth be told, I'd swap middle and last parts. ME3 story might run on pure nonsensoleum, but ME2's is pretty rubbish too and gameplay-wise ME3 >>>> ME2. Poor ME2 is such a boring, claustrophobic corridor shooter tucked between the other two)

decline_horse.jpg

Edited by bugarup
Ugly image too big
  • Gasp! 2

36 minutes ago, bugarup said:

Played all 3 Mass Effects in a row and here's what I think. 

(Though truth be told, I'd swap middle and last parts. ME3 story might run on pure nonsensoleum, but ME2's is pretty rubbish too and gameplay-wise ME3 >>>> ME2. Poor ME2 is such a boring, claustrophobic corridor shooter tucked between the other two)

decline_horse.jpg

I caved in at some point and bout that new edition with the repackaged ME 1-3 (legendary edition?). I'm only partway through ME 1, but based on past memory, ME 1 has the combat, ME 2 the npcs and ME 3 the... something? Epicness I guess? The space combat was nice looking and the final assault actually felt a little bit epic too. Also some nice choices between some of NPC's (bye bye Tali). Sadly you didn't get to put Kai Leng through enough pain. ME 3 needed a DLC where you can just torture the guy on various brutal implements, trying to max out the pain-o-meter on him. He was, together with the ending, the main things that detracted from the game for me (story was very uneven quality wise, but it did have good bits too along the way).

Edit: And I really missed the original Mordin in ME3 😢

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

24 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I caved in at some point and bout that new edition with the repackaged ME 1-3 (legendary edition?). I'm only partway through ME 1, but based on past memory, ME 1 has the combat, ME 2 the npcs and ME 3 the... something? Epicness I guess? The space combat was nice looking and the final assault actually felt a little bit epic too. Also some nice choices between some of NPC's (bye bye Tali). Sadly you didn't get to put Kai Leng through enough pain. ME 3 needed a DLC where you can just torture the guy on various brutal implements, trying to max out the pain-o-meter on him. He was, together with the ending, the main things that detracted from the game for me (story was very uneven quality wise, but it did have good bits too along the way).

Edit: And I really missed the original Mordin in ME3 😢

For me it's worldbuilding and story for ME (even if I prefer its combat over ME2's, worldbuilding is more of a key thing), NPCs for ME2 and combat for ME3. Mordin is one of my top favorite characters in all videogames but he isn't enough to compensate for the rest of ME2; faux one in ME3 was quite noticeably worse, but it was okay since I didn't mind that pretender dying. 

I played the original trilogy, with Miranda's behind as separate character and all...speaking of which, I reached the conclusion that aforesaid behind isn't there for fanservice only -- it is also a reminder that this woman talks out of her arse and is full of sh†t. 

I didn't mind Weeb McDweeb that much this time since I was able to eventually just swat him away like annoying blowfly that he was, and split my hatred between some kid who died and TIM the wąnker who seriously overstayed his welcome somewhere, I dunno, around 5 seconds in his ME2's intro. :down:

I plan to do a Fail Shepard run where everything goes wrong and then I'll just change class on character import for more ME3 as I can play ME pretty much endlessly but wouldn't want to go through ME2 again. :no:

• Like 1

Immortal: Unchained. Activated 3 not-Bells and gathering 3 not-Lord Souls. Did not expect the enemy wave battle in the main hub and almost ran out of ammo on the last wave with a mini-boss (no healthbar, but the thing was incredibly sturdy), but was able to clear it. Now new paths in the previously visited areas are open and lead to the above-mentioned not-Lord Souls.

Lost in Random. Reached the fifth area and mastered the dodge - it is possible to break the energy crystal in melee by dodging into the foes in the last moment. If there are several of them and one is dodged, all have their crystals broken. The cards improving this aspect of combat (damage on crystal break and dodge) do make the game more enjoyable.

Curse you @bugarup… I had repressed the memories of those unskippable dream cutscenes 😠

• Sad 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I finally played a handful of hours of Elden Ring. There was only one good hair option for my character, but one good hair option is better than no good hair options. The gameplay is...Dark Souls III crossed with Breath of the Wild, except way clunkier and jankier. Which is to say it feels decidedly mediocre and I think I got my fill already. Okay, now that that's forever out of the way, Bloodborne on PC, please and thank you. I would alternatively accept someone making a working PS4 emulator.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

If we do hot takes on ME trilogy, than here is mine.

ME1 is my favourite one. I like the slow pacing and buildup, and worldbuilding is easily the best in the series. It was the only game in the trilogy when I felt like Shepard was part of the world. Combat, however, is absolutely ****e. I love RPGs, but I hate bad action RPGs, and Mass Effect1 suffers from being a bad RPG and bad action game.

As such, even though not my favourite, I see Mass Effect2 as the best of the series. As far as gameplay goes it does what ME1 did well better, and ditches the bad bits. The only thing I am not sure about, is swapping Mako levels for planet scanning - both are a shade of bad, but Mako gave the world gorundeness and scope, while ME2 feels rather small by comparison. And as goofy as Mako was, I always enjoy those bits in ME1. Story wise, I actually think it is pretty strong, especially being a middle child of the trilogy. I loved it when it first came out, but I have more complaints now. I don't think any of it is bad, but it could be better. I don't quite know why Shepard was killed - just feels like an unnecessary thing you need to suspect your disbelief for. Illusive Man is awesome in ME2, but our interaction with him aren't particulary interesting. NPCs are the strongest in the trilogy, and Suicide Mission is actually a pretty cool thing to revolve your game around.

ME3 is bad. Combat would be it's saving grace, but I still it is not good enough to carry the game. I won't claim it is not better than ME1&2, but that's like Andromeda having best vehicle control. Sure, but that's not really what carries the experience.

My issues with combat in ME3 are mostly little details - animations looking off, running looks like you pooed your pants, and I remember being very annoying with to many actions being tied to one button. I think sticking to cover was also rolling, or something like that and it just didn't work with a more mobility that game demanded. Story of course, was pretty bad. ME3 is pretty much Throne of Bhaal to me, except it went step a further and at the end made previous installments worse, rather than wrapping them up nicely.

• Like 2

Worst part of ME1 is the loot progression. Swapping your gun every 100m for the same gun in a different color with +1 better stats is NOT fun. Especially not in that terrible inventory.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yep, that dude.

About fighting in MEs - I really liked it in ME1. Adept was super fun, tech stuff not so much, but had its uses, guns were kinda samey but did what I wanted them to do, i.e. I pointed them at dudes and they eventually died. I didn't have to sit crouched behind a chest-high wall all the time, running and gunning was very much doable, and inventory has nothing on the mess of, say, Pathfinder games.

ME2 turned biotic and tech powers non-viable, like, you can't kill anything but husks with them, and overturned ME's fantastic idea of not having to bother with goddamn ammo. Scrounging for those motherloving clips is the worst and most boring part of already boring pew-pew fest, also if you are playing a sniper you run out real fast and then sit behind the stupid wall pew-pewing outta reliable but boring SMG. :down: Vanguard was  fun though.

ME3 did away with chores of running around for ammo by having it scattered everywhere and brought back tech/biotic powers with extra oomph in the form of fun combos. I loved that. :)

As for the story, it seems to me that ME was written by someone who loved science fiction and read books; ME2's writer was into neither, but obviously liked pulpy cop and crime shows, and ME3's team wanted a JRPG - like, your character has no agency anymore and is on rails so tight you're told not just what to do but how to feel, everyone is overly dramatic, NPCs make you look stupid in conversations and cutscenes, also get to win in cutscenes after you beat them in game, the last boss rambles forever at you while you can't skip or fast forward and the game pushes Liara as your designated girlfriend real hard. It even explains Kai Leng!

• Like 1

Enemies 'winning' in cutscenes having been splattered in gameplay is a bit of a Bioware tradition, see the first encounter with Malak in K1. Hmm, and while I've expurgated most of the game from my memory I'm pretty sure the same thing happens in Jade Empire too, via your 'flaw', though at least that is a more creative and well set up way to deal with it than 'u lose lol'. It's just that Malak (and I can't even remember who the JE main bad guy is except he used to be your mentor) is merely a boring antagonist as opposed to K** L*** who is a charisma singularity that makes everything associated with him worse and worse and worse. Sometimes I even wonder if he's actually a good antagonist he generates such a negative response, but having your playerbase want to take a drill to their frontal cortex in the hope of hitting the bit containing memories of KL is not really ideal, they might hit their memories of Jade Empire instead. OTOH, it's a less annoying fight than Letho v1 in TWitcher2 which is a legitimately difficult fight, that you then... lose by cutscene. Ho hum.

On a completely different tack, I am here to spread the Good News about Terraformers. Every once in a while I hit an indie game bought on a whim that makes the money spent on mediocre ones or ones that don't quite work worthwhile; and Terraformers is that game. Just perfectly crafted to my tastes. Basically just a really simple colonise/ terraform Mars tile game, but much like Chess or Go the simple systems result in a whole heap of underlying complexity. 100% unequivocal recommendation to anyone who likes turn based strategy (and, just to be equivocal, doesn't mind there being no (e)X(terminate) in their 4X, and some potential RNG unfairness).

• Like 4

Wartales comes out on April 12th. I'm already playing it and enjoying all of the new stuff, but I'll probably restart when 1.0 drops. It's like Battle Brothers with legs, although it has more storyline and is less sandboxy. It's a pretty fantastic turn based combat RPG and well worth the money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

Hmm, and while I've expurgated most of the game from my memory I'm pretty sure the same thing happens in Jade Empire too, via your 'flaw', though at least that is a more creative and well set up way to deal with it than 'u lose lol'.

Master Li!

Man, I love Jade Empire. I wish we would get a decent sequel to it - a action-RPG fantasy kung-fu could be so fun. The whole time I was playing through Lo Wong, all I could think is Jade Empire2.

I thought the flaw twist was really well done in JE2

For one we were rescuing our Master, not fighting him so it wasn't the case of overriding player's success in gameplay. The flaw was really nicely foreshadowed, without (at least for me) making the twist obvious.

• Like 2

I picked it, but I don't think it was the game's fault per se. On the meta side Bioware was completely in their M Night Shylamalan phase with the plot twists for one- Melissan--> Aribeth--> Revan* for their previous three games- and in game they laid it on a bit thick with people observing that your technique had something wrong with it as well, especially since JE was not a long game so you tended to get those observations close together. It was a lot better done than the average Bioware twist was though. OTOH by that point I was heartily sick of the repetitive Bioware trope NPCs and wanted something a bit more than martial arts kotor with Wuxia veneer and SW stuff excised so JE is far from my favourite even among Bioware games.

*heh, the Bioware twist was so well established by then that after the first dream sequence in Kotor I restarted with a character named... Darth Revan. Which lead to some funny dialogue later.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Thanks 1

Went back to Farthest Frontier as they've patched it. Not noticing much different, will have to review the patch notes.  Town's doing ok, although the wildlife aren't deterred by simple fences.   Not all bad a builder, can turn off the annoying raids.  One bug, or maybe feature is getting warned when a boar charges a villager, then runs away, then charges again, then runs away. Fun, fun spam

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

*heh, the Bioware twist was so well established by then that after the first dream sequence in Kotor I restarted with a character named... Darth Revan. Which lead to some funny dialogue later.

By "well established" you mean they did a twist in BG1? 😁

Fortunately for me, I played BG2 before BG1, so I completely didn't see the twist coming for KOTOR. I was rather lukewarm on the game before that happened.

For JE, I think twist works for the character we play. Flaw and "Great Strategist" did raise red flags for me as a player, but as long as it is not obvious to the character I tend to be onboard. I saw JE twist as a narrative payoff, rather than trick on the player, and in my book it is the best twist one can have.

• Like 2