Music: Sharing and Listening - The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between

xzar_monty

3 hours ago, Gromnir said:

btw, we will cut anybody who let's it be known we said something positive 'bout anime.

Hey, I saw you mention something about Tokyo Godfathers once. ...I guess you didn't actually say whether you liked it or not, though. Third song was a jam, first two vocalists made me want to carve my ears out, but that's not a surprise because I don't like most vocalists. 99.9% of anime is hot garbage...but so too for cable television: a discerning eye and the willingness to put in some research may get you closer to something that isn't totally terrible and might appeal to you. Maybe. Probably not. I've almost entirely given up on anything past the year ~2000 personally, so most everything available for streaming is going straight into the trash for me.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 minute ago, Bartimaeus said:

Hey, I saw you mention something about Tokyo Godfathers once. ...I guess you didn't actually say whether you liked it or not, though. Third song was a jam. 99.9% of anime is hot garbage...but so too for cable television: a discerning eye and the willingness to put in some research may get you closer to something that isn't totally terrible and might appeal to you. Maybe. Probably not.

Are you seriously comparing the prestige of Real Housewives of Montana or Walking Dead: Discovery to anime?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 minute ago, Make a contract with KP said:

Are you seriously comparing the prestige of Real Housewives of Montana or Walking Dead: Discovery to anime?

Sure, they're generally equally terrible, albeit in different ways.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

9 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Sure, they're generally equally terrible, albeit in different ways.

I've tried to be nice here, but comparing the greatness of 1000 Pound Twins who are Also Doctors to cartoons? Unforgivable. You are banned from HBO Max Discovery +.

Anyways since this is about music.....

Edited by Make a contract with KP
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

Tis the season...

our first reaction were to sneer at another vulgar (and kinda ridiculous) christmas cash grab. then we reflected 'bout what is perhaps our favorite christmas album.

not on same album, but is making our top 5 o' christmas tunes.

so 'pon reflection is tough for us to chide lucas arts or disney or whomever were responsible for releasing your shared title. clear would be hypocritical to aim scorn at star wars if am ok with peanuts, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

ps added greensleeves 'cause fantasia on greensleeves is also among our top five christmas music tunes and am thinking the vince guaraldi bit is fantastic regardless o' how we feel 'bout jazz.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think the new Metallica song is pretty good, although it's obvious that Lars Ulrich can't actually play it like that; it's edited to a level of precision way ahead of his skills. But anyway, some guy on the internet though that Kirk Hammett's solo was a bit underwhelming (I agree) and felt he could do better. Here's the result, and I do think it really is better, a lot better in fact. (I think Hammett mostly relies on the pentatonic scale, whereas this guy at least starts with the Phrygian dominant scale.) The most interesting thing for me is this whole technological leap: we now live in a world where people can easily do stuff like this and put it out there. I think it's quite nice. It's also obvious that there are large numbers of musicians out there who are far more skilful than those in, say, Metallica. Whether they can write good songs is of course a completely different matter.

I know I've posted it before, but I think it's time again, isn't it?

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 12/4/2022 at 7:52 AM, Raithe said:

Tis the season...

It is indeed... speaking of which, I seem to remember they released another set of songs besides the old boxed set I bought some years ago (2 cd's plus a tentacle stocking to hang over my fireplace for when Chtulhu brings gifts)

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Given that today is Finland's Independence Day and another neighbour of Russia is in deep trouble, here's this. A Finnish choir went and sung this in front of the Russian embassy in Helsinki, with "Finland" in the lyrics exchanged for "Ukraine". This one here is an unbelievably spirited performance, I must say -- and the composition is indeed very moving. I wonder how long it took the choir to get their Finnish pronunciation up to this level (it's all right; they're in trouble with some diphthongs but that's all right, too).

• Like 1

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

20 minutes ago, majestic said:

And you complain about me linking Scooter too much?

It's educational,  how else would you learn to catch the man.  Apparently, that is on the Wing Commander Prophecy OST not the Front 242 version.  For some reason I got that game's OST back in 2002, exposed me to such greats as KMFDM and Das Ich :lol:

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Like 1

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

because if feels like ages since I last posted a Rammstein video (Rammstein from 1998AD I think)...

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Gorth said:

because if feels like ages since I last posted a Rammstein video (Rammstein from 1998AD I think)...

Have you heard the Swedish version of Wilder Vein? It's pretty awesome

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken