warhammer 40k: rogue trader

8 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I really dislike how they've "adapted" the rules from the tabletop. 

on the positive side, unlike in a real table-top setting, playing a missionary is far less likely to get us murdered by the rest o' the group.  is virtual nobody who wants to play with a missionary.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

45 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I'm not familiar with the source material but I'll see if I can find some reviews from 40k fans

To be fair, I'm cranky about it looking to be immensly tanky because they are revamping the tabletop rules into entirely their own thing, and I hate it. A character taking 4 shots from a plasma pistol is just silly.

41 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

on the positive side, unlike in a real table-top setting, playing a missionary is far less likely to get us murdered by the rest o' the group.  is virtual nobody who wants to play with a missionary.

HA! Good Fun!

"I did not jettison the missionary through the torpedo tubes because he accused me of letting the crew worship me as Him upon the Throne, he was just filled with such eagerness and righteous fervor that he climbed onto the front of the boarding torpedo instead of into it because he said the Emperor would protect him against the Void so he could be the first to slay some foul Xenos."

Though the crew very much did worship my Rogue Trader as the Emperor, building a shrine up to the bridge where my character sat connected to his archaeotech mind impulse control chair, because of the missionary constantly failing his social tests with the crew enough times that they started thinking my Rogue Trader that has always managed to save the crew personally, in the nick of time and miraculously survive sacrificing himself time and time again thanks to being more cybernetic than human, and a badass, really was the Emperor. My character was completely clueless to what they were doing though because he was raised on a Forge world and didn't have any idea how the emperor was worshipped. Nor did he ever find out that the crew strapped the missionary onto the torpedo because he was going to have my Rogue Trader tried as a heretic.

Good times 😄

That said, it was actually the only time a Rogue Trader group had any real problem with a missionary, the other times they had been generally well regarded, I think you've just had bad luck :)

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

That said, it was actually the only time a Rogue Trader group had any real problem with a missionary, the other times they had been generally well regarded, I think you've just had bad luck :)

possibly, but am finding missionaries is rare okie dokie unless they play an outcast missionary role. looking at owlcat's companions you can kinda see the issue as unsanctioned psykers and xenos is obvious gonna be problematic, no? rogue trader works as a 40k crpg precise 'cause it  creates a situation where players is able to act with far more freedom than is typical in the imperium of man. the ordinary missionary is the annoying guy reminding everybody what constitutes heresy... and just about everything people wanna play is heresy. so, a torpedo tube exit is almost anticipated for the missionary playing it straight.

missionaries is particular useful when dealing with demons and psykers, and they make good medics, so is practical reasons to want a missionary, but...

the thing is, you can always play the missionary with less zealotry or have your zealotry focused on demons, resulting in a relative handwave at lesser heresies, which is the way we has seen 'em played most often. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

14 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

possibly, but am finding missionaries is rare okie dokie unless they play an outcast missionary role. looking at owlcat's companions you can kinda see the issue as unsanctioned psykers and xenos is obvious gonna be problematic, no? rogue trader works as a 40k crpg precise 'cause it  creates a situation where players is able to act with far more freedom than is typical in the imperium of man. the ordinary missionary is the annoying guy reminding everybody what constitutes heresy... and just about everything people wanna play is heresy. so, a torpedo tube exit is almost anticipated for the missionary playing it straight.

missionaries is particular useful when dealing with demons and psykers, and they make good medics, so is practical reasons to want a missionary, but...

the thing is, you can always play the missionary with less zealotry or have your zealotry focused on demons, resulting in a relative handwave at lesser heresies, which is the way we has seen 'em played most often. 

HA! Good Fun!

I would say that some of the most awesome moments we'ev had has been because of such clashes of wills and ambition, so I am generally hoping that Owlcat really doesn't shy away from actually playing things "straight" and having the other members actually be characters of their own will and motivation. I honestly hate playing always playing the Rogue Trader because I have to be the arbiter between different players and noone else seems to manage it with any grace nor iron fist. My favourite group has my previously described Rogue Trader who was actually straight laced purist Creedo Omnissaiah, an Astropath that has a hobby of enslaving Daemons, an Navigator that wants to end the Winterscale dynasty(And was close to assassinate him while I was meeting with him /fume ) and also sort of deals with daemons, my Seneschal First officer that turned mutant at a party and later led an insurrection against me with my characters brother and was offed, my Enginseer Prime that kept trying to implement xenotech into my ship against my will before he got killed in a boarding action, my master-at-arms that got a bit rustled by a warp-passage and decided to lead a rebellion against me (Not killed because he was obviously temporarily not sound of mind). The missionary was extremely unlucky with his dice rolls, he wasn't going to try my Rogue Trader but the crew thought so. It's the Rogue Trader player that has to keep the group working despite their differences, with some help from the GM.

Missionaries are also great Master of Whispers I should add, they're quite socially capable and a great asset :yes:

Thats one way to play them, sure, but it's quite possible to play with antagonistic groups aswell, done right it is great fun 😃 Leading a group of backstabbing bastards to glory is quite rewarding 😄

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

We should do a play by post game

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 minutes ago, Malcador said:

We should do a play by post game

Hah, it takes me about 20 minutes to just describe how my Rogue Trader looks XD It's not so bad when you are starting out, but as you progress in a story it becomes practically ludicrous with the amount of details one accrues :)

More seriously though, I have a hard time seeing that work well, so much of good Rogue Trader gaming is just the inbetween acting between the players so it's be incredibly messy or you'd have to take it in PM's which would lock out alot of the character progression from the other players 😕

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Azdeus said:

an Navigator that wants to end the Winterscale dynasty(And was close to assassinate him while I was meeting with him /fume ) 

All he had to do was take off the wrap around his third eye and say 'hey, look at this!' 😂

edit: some of us are old enough to remember how the Horus Heresy came about in the time after Rogue Trader. GW needed some kind of justification for why there were 6 identical plastic titans in the Titan Legion box, 3 bad guys, 3 good guys, but other than the colour of the plastic, being the same model. Hence, a random comment about a civil war named The Horus Heresy was mention in passing. It was a cost cutting measure because they couldn't afford the tooling required (plastic is cheap, making the injection molds is very expensive) to put two different models in the box. Thus the heresy came about. Don't get me started on the primarch names (which came about when the GW guys met in a pub and started noting down names while slapping their knees in laughter in a drunken stupor... mind you I love the lore to bits, but half of those names are just cringe worthy (and that is me being nice) 😝

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

25 minutes ago, Gorth said:

All he had to do was take off the wrap around his third eye and say 'hey, look at this!' 😂

edit: some of us are old enough to remember how the Horus Heresy came about in the time after Rogue Trader. GW needed some kind of justification for why there were 6 identical plastic titans in the Titan Legion box, 3 bad guys, 3 good guys, but other than the colour of the plastic, being the same model. Hence, a random comment about a civil war named The Horus Heresy was mention in passing. It was a cost cutting measure because they couldn't afford the tooling required (plastic is cheap, making the injection molds is very expensive) to put two different models in the box. Thus the heresy came about. Don't get me started on the primarch names (which came about when the GW guys met in a pub and started noting down names while slapping their knees in laughter in a drunken stupor... mind you I love the lore to bits, but half of those names are just cringe worthy (and that is me being nice) 😝

Well, she'd have killed alot of other people aswell, since Winterscale very well knew that she was likely a smidge angry with her since he'd screwed over the Navigator house she was part of, he wouldn't have met with her by herself. If she'd managed to get that super expensive heretek "poison" into him she'd have been able to atleast have a bit of plausible deniability since anyone, in theory, that was at the banquet, had motive for murdering him. 😄

46 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Well, she'd have killed alot of other people aswell, since Winterscale very well knew that she was likely a smidge angry with her since he'd screwed over the Navigator house she was part of, he wouldn't have met with her by herself. If she'd managed to get that super expensive heretek "poison" into him she'd have been able to atleast have a bit of plausible deniability since anyone, in theory, that was at the banquet, had motive for murdering him. 😄

Ah... but navigator houses are often very powerful and big time political players (if was such a thing as a ruling nobility class on Terra, it's the navigator houses). Unlikely your navigator would get her own hands (or third "warp" eye) dirty. Pull some strings to have a horde of assassins converge on Winterscales or get them declared hereticus extremis by the ecchlesiarchy? Bear in mind, I know nothing of the backstory of the families and navigator houses in your campaign :)

Edit: An example of what the Primarch names are based on:

https://www.thedarkfortress.co.uk/librarium/lionel_johnson.php#.Y5KM8X1Bx3g

"Lionel Johnson and his poem 'The Dark Angel'"

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, Gorth said:

Ah... but navigator houses are often very powerful and big time political players (if was such a thing as a ruling nobility class on Terra, it's the navigator houses). Unlikely your navigator would get her own hands (or third "warp" eye) dirty. Pull some strings to have a horde of assassins converge on Winterscales or get them declared hereticus extremis by the ecchlesiarchy? Bear in mind, I know nothing of the backstory of the families and navigator houses in your campaign :)

The Winterscale and House Visscher feud is in one of the RT splatbooks, and neither party involved is innocent, but for her it's personal. And since Winterscale allied himself with a rival of House Visscher afterwards he's got some people on his side aswell. Getting the Ordo Assassinorum to deal with it would be a possibility, but far less satisfactory for her. By the time thing has begun to move on Terra, Winterscale would likely be dead from old age, and the mans family has some clout himself. She tried to persuade me and my little ****ty transporter to torpedo his Grand Cruiser... 😂

It's likely that you'll get to know Winterscales Realm in the game yourself :)

• Like 1

I was hoping that Rogue Trader would be a game about trading rogues.

I'll give you Johnny Two-Shanks and Slippery Louie in exchange for Sammy Sticky Fingers.

• Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 4 months later...

Locations trailer:

Cool to see Commoragh. Had Owlcat elected to put the game on Kickstarter and they needed a quick extra $100,000 put into the project then I'd wager a stretch goal of "Romance subplot with Dark Eldar Succubus" would do it.

• Haha 6
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

• 1 month later...

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll wait and see what the verdict is on the writing... I stopped playing 40k a long time ago, but the lore and the characters in the universe still interests me very much (hence why I play Kill Team and Horus Heresy). I always wished for a WH40k "genuine" crpg, but the trailers shows little of the quality of the writing (or lack of) and character personalities so far 🤔

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gorth said:

I'll wait and see what the verdict is on the writing... I stopped playing 40k a long time ago, but the lore and the characters in the universe still interests me very much (hence why I play Kill Team and Horus Heresy). I always wished for a WH40k "genuine" crpg, but the trailers shows little of the quality of the writing (or lack of) and character personalities so far 🤔

40k is great tabletop wargaming fodder. nevertheless, have always been ambivalent 'bout rpg 40k and our personal experience with role-play groups don't help.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/19/the-imperium-is-driven-by-hate-warhammer-is-not/

"The Imperium of Man stands as a cautionary tale of what could happen should the very worst of Humanity’s lust for power and extreme, unyielding xenophobia set in. Like so many aspects of Warhammer 40,000, the Imperium of Man is satirical."

one would think the satire would be so obvious no mention were required, but...

on the positive side, a 40k Crpg does not suffer same hurdles as does a group o' real persons. is more difficult than it sounds to do over-the-top and exaggerated save in limited doses. the 40k audience is 'posed to be aware o' subtilties and nuance o' the setting but the 40k characters are grimdark cartoony and in a rp for 40k, the players is the characters. will always be players who see 40k different, or try and make it different 'cause who can do extreme all the time week after week after week?  a Crpg is not the same as a rp group 'cause is the computer doing the work o' being immune to self-reflection.

the mythic stuff in wotr were owlcat original content and not created by paizo. from a writing pov, we disliked the mythic content. the exaggeration o' mythic characters and encounters were lacking any kinda subtlety or nuance and for a considerable period o' time we were conflicted as to whether the material were intended as parody. 

"to the extreme." is funny... in 2023. were always funny for Gromnir. in 1990 vanilla ice were a chart topper and not 'cause people saw as a joke. over-the-top were the selling point. sure, were arguable unintended parody, but the success o' vanilla ice and to the extreme were not 'cause it were embraced as a weird al yankovic kinda thing. 

owlcat does not do subtle or nuance and they embrace exaggeration... to the extreme. regardless o' Gromnir personal preferences, the fans o' owlcat liked the wotr mythic content and wotr storytelling in general. 

maybe ain't the way Gromnir would do it, but am thinking owlcat is a good choice for 40k 'cause they will do extreme and over-the-top. for a few 40k fans an owlcat rogue trader will likely be dismissed as insulting parody. will also be a few purists who will be revile rogue trader 'cause owlcat misinterpreted some integral aspect(s) o' 40k lore. however, am betting most fans will dismiss the lore concerns as minutiae and based on wotr, am thinking owlcat fans want more over-the-top as 'posed to less. 40k allows owlcat to go even more extreme than wotr, more extreme than ice ice baby.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

warhammer grimderp problem are not just come from low effort setting book but extreme toxic community

at least before warhammer become much more popular because some half decent video game

a lot could have changed but worst part seems to remain

• Like 1

16 hours ago, melkathi said:

I feel GW has long since lost touch with the satirical part of their settings and taken them way too serious.

GW lost touch with their customers when the original company went public (shares floated in 1997 or so). People with spreadsheets (and no, not the combat stat spreadsheets) runs to company now, not the idealists who founded it int he late 70's. Important are things like the balance sheet, not consumer satisfaction (which is less important once you become a de-facto monopoly).

• Sad 1

Diablo starting tomorrow morning for loosers, so I guess I will be occupied by it :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"