warhammer 40k: rogue trader

23 hours ago, Gorth said:

GW lost touch with their customers when the original company went public (shares floated in 1997 or so). People with spreadsheets (and no, not the combat stat spreadsheets) runs to company now, not the idealists who founded it int he late 70's. Important are things like the balance sheet, not consumer satisfaction (which is less important once you become a de-facto monopoly).

Speaking of, John Blanche retired.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

44 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Speaking of, John Blanche retired.

But... but... he was only 75! 😒

β€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Kinda hooked on the beta even though it's missing a lot of stuff and is a bit janky. In the second system now and getting a better feel for the systems and the setting as my only 40k knowledge is from the Dawn of War series. As someone who prefers magic casters, psykers are currently in a pretty bad place as far as blasting goes, the buffs are pretty good but unnecessary in most fights. Not that I want to play a buffer anyways. So far it seems like melee is the best way to go for big hits and chaining kills but that could all change in a few levels.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Haven't watched the video but there is a colonial management system and a separate ship combat system. I've only got one colony so far so I'm not too deep in that and I've been skipping space combat because it's missing a lot and super buggy.

Marksmen with burst fire has caught up to, and depending on the enemy, surpassed melee fighters for me. Psykers are still healing and buffing mostly.

Edited by ShadySands

On 6/1/2023 at 9:37 PM, melkathi said:

Why?

They were all idiots or crybabies. Except for those who were idiot crybabies.

I hate to be that guy, but. Jaghatai Khan.

Not that I'm surprised you forgot about him, because everyone always does :p

• Haha 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I hate to be that guy, but. Jaghatai Khan.

Not that I'm surprised you forgot about him, because everyone always does :p

It's his special power, that he got from The Emperor (all 21 primarchs supposedly got a special trait representing one aspect/ability of him)... to remain unnoticed πŸ˜›

Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

β€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

39 minutes ago, Gorth said:

It's his special power, that he got from The Emperor (all 21 primarchs supposedly got a special trait representing one aspect/ability of him)... to remain unnoticed πŸ˜›

Β 

It seems Alpharius got to you πŸ˜›

You now have to repaint your army to Rainbow Warriors, since it's pride month πŸ˜„

Edited by Azdeus
  • Haha 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I never managed to punish myself to read as far into the Horus Heresy as to encounter Jaghatai Khan.

The books get so terrible bad, and the words in them inconsequential, I prefer watching paint dry.Β 

• Gasp! 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

2 hours ago, melkathi said:

I never managed to punish myself to read as far into the Horus Heresy as to encounter Jaghatai Khan.

The books get so terrible bad, and the words in them inconsequential, I prefer watching paint dry.Β 

+_661ba2b9b86b14bcecf1530c938731f2.jpg

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

it is amazing owlcat insist on make the same mistake again and again

Β 

22 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Haven't watched the video but there is a colonial management system and a separate ship combat system.

So now there are two in one game. People are gonna love it.πŸ™‚

sign.jpg

Rerollitis got me so I started a new game as a sniper this time. I'm just about to leave the second system which is when the game begins to open up and you can fly around exploring systems. I did things in a different order this time and it does play a bit differently. Not anything super huge but I wasn't really expecting it at all so it was a nice surprise.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 3:53 AM, melkathi said:

I have been recommended Eisenhorn (and the closely related Ravenor and Bequin series) a number of times by people of various tastes, including a couple of people whose opinions on books I trust to a pretty decent degree...but I've been told by most of the same people to stay far away as I can from the Horus Heresy*. Which seems very obvious for a 60+ book series written by...30, 40 authors or something like that? Even if it started out good, it is against all manner of reason that it could possibly stay good.

*And really most of the rest of WH40K, but that's a whole other thing.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

You can read the first four books or so. Horus, Abbadon and the rest of the traitor characters will still be badly written, but up to and including the flight of the Eisenstein (I think the ship is called), at least you are rooting for main characters like Saul Tarviz and Nathanael Garro who are worth rooting for.Β 

But the moment Garro reaches earth, every word worth reading has been read, and the series devolves into plot stupidity on the loyalist part and plot immortality on the traitor side.

And of course the fact a lot of those authors do not actually understand the English language. Rather sad seeing how they are English themselves and know no other language. And the editors should live in hiding in case proper editors find them and execute them for crimes against the trade.

Β 

In general, I wasn't too keen on Eisenhorn. Gaunts Ghosts I found enjoyable, but the series dragged on.

Necromunda novels have been mostly fun.

• Thanks 1

I tried to read the 40k wiki once and the term "Gene-Father" made part of my brain melt. I also can't afford to play it so yeah, plastic men aren't for me.

I'll probably check out the game though.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"YouΒ are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfullyΒ it seems like the creatorsΒ like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don'tΒ forgetΒ the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"AreΒ you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feralΒ camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

11 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I tried to read the 40k wiki once and the term "Gene-Father" made part of my brain melt. I also can't afford to play it so yeah, plastic men aren't for me.

I'll probably check out the game though.

gene seed was the word that did that

Β 

couldn't bother with 40k setting after that word

On 6/17/2023 at 11:06 AM, InsaneCommander said:

How long is the final game supposed to be? I heard it will be smaller than PF:WotR.

Not sure how long the finished game is going to be but the beta ends in/at the end of chapter 3 and that look me like 20 hours, it was also like my third time playing through the first 2 chapters. There's a lot of text to read so depending on how fast you read or how much you skip it can probably vary a lot.

Some other things maybe light spoilerΒ 

Β 

9 companions in the general order you'll encounter them. You can do some things in different orders for different results.

Abelard - Former Navy SeneschalΒ 

Indira - Unsanctioned Diviner

Argenta - Battle Sister

Cassia - Navigator

Pasqal - Tech Priest

Heinrix - Biomancer Inquisitor

Jae - Smuggler

Yrliet - Eldar Outcast

Ulfar - Space Marine

There's rumors of additional companions and some data mining as well but didn't see them or have a chance to recruit them in game. There's no romance in the beta if anyone is curiousΒ 

Β 

Β 

Edited by ShadySands
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Not sure how long the finished game is going to be but the beta ends in/at the end of chapter 3 and that look me like 20 hours, it was also like my third time playing through the first 2 chapters. There's a lot of text to read so depending on how fast you read or how much you skip it can probably vary a lot.

Some other things maybe light spoilerΒ 

Β  Hide contents

9 companions in the general order you'll encounter them. You can do some things in different orders for different results.

Adelbard - Former Navy SeneschalΒ 

Indira - Unsanctioned Diviner

Argenta - Battle Sister

Cassia - Navigator

Pasqal - Tech Priest

Heinrix - Biomancer Inquisitor

Jae - Smuggler

Yrliet - Eldar Outcast

Wulfgar - Space Marine

There's rumors of additional companions and some data mining as well but didn't see them or have a chance to recruit them in game. There's no romance in the beta if anyone is curiousΒ 

Β 

Β 

8 out of 9 are human

that is boring

In 40k, even the one xenos is stretching the plausible.

In the olden days, before the lore got fleshed out and altered into what is now, a couple of aliens would have been easier to justify.

I would have liked to have seen a squat, a ratling, or an ogryn among the companions.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, melkathi said:

In 40k, even the one xenos is stretching the plausible.

In the olden days, before the lore got fleshed out and altered into what is now, a couple of aliens would have been easier to justify.

I would have liked to have seen a squat, a ratling, or an ogryn among the companions.

lore is just a bunch of nonsense that get changed a little with each edition

the hard core fan hold on to outdated dribble as religious text was the worst problem holding any old franchise back

remember reading 6 edition nonsense

pretty sure a lot are changed by now