What You've Done Today - Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life

Hurlshort

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

If you are using the free version then it's locked to 1080p for Fire Strike

Oh? I could swear I saw ... but regardless, if that's the case and that nice FS score was because it was "only" 1080, that's even MOAH REASON that I need a new rig.  :shifty:

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

the main problem is that they did their "cable management", and then put the bench as far against the wall as possible thus squeezing the cables in place, and then screwed the bench in place

Ah. Poor "design" haha.  Basically sounds like that whole wall/area needs to be redone/updated. Either in the rational but requires a little work way like Sarex suggests, or in that "crazy blonde guy from Die Hard 1, hey chainsaws are wire cutters aren't they" way.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On my way to Houston yesterday I stopped in at Buc-ees. I was DEVASTATED when I found out they didn't have any Buc-ee Beaver onesies in stock.

giphy.webp

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yesterday G & I were talking about the "collapse" of crypto and the economy in general. Then she starts laughing. She told me I had the perfect "prepper castle" to ride out the economic apocalypse and sold it. Zing.... that wasn't funny! :lol:

I told the worst part is the cash I received for the sale is worth 13% less than it was just six months ago!  

Oh well. We're all dead in the long run no matter what. In 30 years it won't matter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Noticed a hedgehog staggering across the lawn, shaking like in the middle of an epileptic fit before it curled up.

Lined a box, put in a warm water bottle and let it settle there.  See how it fares.

IMG_20220516_1314412.jpg?width=884&heigh

The local Hedgehog preservation group is closed due to bereavement at the moment, so google-fu for what might be appropriate.

• Like 5

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

No emergency vet hospital nearby?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

39 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Yesterday G & I were talking about the "collapse" of crypto and the economy in general. Then she starts laughing. She told me I had the perfect "prepper castle" to ride out the economic apocalypse and sold it. Zing.... that wasn't funny! :lol:

I told the worst part is the cash I received for the sale is worth 13% less than it was just six months ago!  

Oh well. We're all dead in the long run no matter what. In 30 years it won't matter. 

GD I have mentioned to you that you mustnt think Crypto is a  real alternative investment to safe and normal investments like equalities or commodities like gold. Crypto has its advantages but dont ever think about it as a " replacement " to normal currency. Stay with what you know has worked for you like gold and property ....its much less potential risk 

https://news.yahoo.com/crypto-market-loses-200-billion-181412696.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Sarex said:

Unscrew the bench or abandon the cables and get new ones (drill a hole in the bench and snake the cables through).

Either way it seems like they really want you to suffer...

Difficult since I'd have to dismount one of the computers and they used torx. We were supposed to rebuild the gatehouse and get new benches, but it turned out that the CEO got a 20% raise this year instead. Again.

Yuuup, there's a word in Swedish that fits it very well; "Straffkommendering" literally; "Penalty assignment" or... Well, it's sort of similar to getting assigned something like latrine duty. Huh. I'm drawing a complete blank on how you'd translate that properly to English. @Guard Dog@ShadySands You guys were in the armed forces, right? Did you have a fancy or informal way to refer to something like that? A position that noone wants and that's used to penalize a soldier?

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Ah. Poor "design" haha.  Basically sounds like that whole wall/area needs to be redone/updated. Either in the rational but requires a little work way like Sarex suggests, or in that "crazy blonde guy from Die Hard 1, hey chainsaws are wire cutters aren't they" way.

We used to have an adjustable table and stuff, but then one of the bosses decided that they were going to introduce a magnetic dryboard, and they needed space so the adjustable table had to go. Chainsaw is tempting, but I'm thinking more fertilizer, diesel and then light up a cigarette. Yippiee ki-yay!

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

5 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

You guys were in the armed forces, right? Did you have a fancy or informal way to refer to something like that? A position that noone wants and that's used to penalize a soldier?

corporal?

HA! Good Fun!

ps don't make the mistake o' referring to marines as soldiers. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

23 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

corporal?

HA! Good Fun!

Not corporal punishment, more like humiliating, disgusting and wearying.

I thought armed forces was a neutral term though? Includes all the branches doesn't it?

Edit; ... Complete woosh XD

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

12 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Yuuup, there's a word in Swedish that fits it very well; "Straffkommendering" literally; "Penalty assignment" or... Well, it's sort of similar to getting assigned something like latrine duty. Huh. I'm drawing a complete blank on how you'd translate that properly to English. @Guard Dog@ShadySands You guys were in the armed forces, right? Did you have a fancy or informal way to refer to something like that? A position that noone wants and that's used to penalize a soldier?

It's called a s--t detail in the USMC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

It's called a s--t detail in the USMC

Perfect! 👌

Thank you

12 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

corporal?

HA! Good Fun!

LOL no they get to oversee the s--t details. That's a Corporal's s--t detail.

Believe it or not Corporal is a pretty good rank in the Marines. There are three ranks that. once you make them, your quality of life improves noticeably; Corporal, Staff Sergeant, and Major. In the other three services (not counting the Space Force because it's stupid) E-4 is pretty meaningless. In Navy you get your rating at E-4 so there is that. But in the Corps E-4 is where you start to be exempted from some of the petty BS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

3 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

LOL no they get to oversee the s--t details. That's a Corporal's s--t detail.

Believe it or not Corporal is a pretty good rank in the Marines. There are three ranks that. once you make them, your quality of life improves noticeably; Corporal, Staff Sergeant, and Major. In the other three services (not counting the Space Force because it's stupid) E-4 is pretty meaningless. In Navy you get your rating at E-4 so there is that. But in the Corps E-4 is where you start to be exempted from some of the petty BS

@Azdeus asked 'bout punishing "soldiers," and a position none wants, so we couldn't help but think o' the old quip 'bout corporals. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

GD I have mentioned to you that you mustnt think Crypto is a  real alternative investment to safe and normal investments like equalities or commodities like gold. Crypto has its advantages but dont ever think about it as a " replacement " to normal currency. Stay with what you know has worked for you like gold and property ....its much less potential risk 

https://news.yahoo.com/crypto-market-loses-200-billion-181412696.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Like I always said, buying crypto is buying nothing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

Had a raucous storm come through on weds. Turns out the GFI that I had attached to my sump pump decided it no longer liked it's life, and died. Noticed this when I went downstairs at about 10 or 11 and found a good six inches of water on the floor. Took two days to get various pumps in place and drained it. All in all (if my math is correct) about 1000 gallons of water was down there. Now my de-humidifier is working over time to finish getting the last bits of h20 out of the region.

• Sad 2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Poor hedgehog. 😕    Hope it survived.

Left field: I don't find Tom Holland at all attractive in any way...not even remotely...except for some reason when he's doing that Umbrella lip sync in drag routine. I can watch that video and he suddenly becomes a little hot.
...I saw a comment under one dance group video:  "every man that can dance automatically becomes handsome."  Seems sorta true - at least for that 3 minutes they're dancing. Kind of like the drummer/musician or a few other cliche similar things. :lol:   I'm going to assume this is true (the instant hotness) for females too. It just speaks to our lizard brains in some way I guess.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My coworkers continue to impress me, in one day they managed to do more damage to the vehicles than I've done in 6 years here. Christ, the repairman spends more time fixing out three vehicles than the 100+ other vehicles that he services... 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Azdeus said:

My coworkers continue to impress me, in one day they managed to do more damage to the vehicles than I've done in 6 years here. Christ, the repairman spends more time fixing out three vehicles than the 100+ other vehicles that he services... 

Get them to play Euro Truck Simulator ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Get them to play Euro Truck Simulator ?

Hah! They'd have to stop looking at instagram for 5 minutes for that.

• Haha 1

Had a meeting to discuss whether or not we need to have two meetings, the action item was to have the two meetings next week, then have another meeting to decide if we need the two after the fact.

Been googling how to make a noose.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Based on hubby and what others on the 'net talk about a lot, I've decided most non-retail/customer service jobs consist of being in a meeting 80% of the time.

"Meeting at 9am. Meeting at 11pm ... time for lunch/a store run, then another meeting at 3pm."   <----this was also true before covid/work from home, where it then instead went: "Gotta get up early for the Monday/thurs meeting. Gotta get back to the office for a meeting. I'm meeting (insert boss/co-worker) for a lunch meeting."

"What are all these meetings for."

"I'm not really sure."

Edited by LadyCrimson

22 hours ago, Azdeus said:

This reminds me of getting a call at my office (I work at a warehouse and am the guy who says "Get your ass to door X" to the truckers who come in) from one of the drivers being loaded who proceeds to go "Uh, you might want to get out here, the guy two doors down from me hit the trailer on one side of him... and there's the other side."

The boss sighed and went out to look at it when I informed him.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

7 minutes ago, Calax said:

This reminds me of getting a call at my office (I work at a warehouse and am the guy who says "Get your ass to door X" to the truckers who come in) from one of the drivers being loaded who proceeds to go "Uh, you might want to get out here, the guy two doors down from me hit the trailer on one side of him... and there's the other side."

The boss sighed and went out to look at it when I informed him.

That's the easy half of my job =D 

That is actually surprisingly common, it's also quite common for the drivers to miss the gate by more than half a foot and smash the girders that separates the gates from eachother. My favourite though is when a door comes loose as they are reversing and gets sheared of on another trailer. >_<