What You've Done Today - Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life

Hurlshort

7 hours ago, majestic said:

My father called and told me someone's remote controlling his computer. A minor heart attack and some blame-throwing later I went over and was properly confused that someone would hijack his computer to play Trailmakers on it. Turns out it was my nephew who used Steam's Stream-Play feature. Heh.

He didn't pull the plug immediately ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

He didn't pull the plug immediately ?

Nah, he is no Gibbs. ;)
In case anyone has not seen the clip:

Β 

Β 

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Got prescribed oxycontin for my pain this morning, fetched a box on my way to work. Been waiting for 2 hours for it to take effect now, and still nothing. Told her, told her twice it wouldn't work.

• Sad 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

And don't forget to hit up the Memorial Day sales!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Time for the most sacred of American holidays: the Toyotathon.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"YouΒ are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfullyΒ it seems like the creatorsΒ like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don'tΒ forgetΒ the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"AreΒ you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feralΒ camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Just a bit of banter, heh.Β  It's more amusing when I see people in Canada gloat about how irreverent the US treats Veteran & Memorial Days compared to Remembrance Day.Β  It's just as hollow here, wear a poppy and fund the drinking club that is the Legion, **** over Vimy Ridge, go back to not caring about the Forces or how veterans are.

Work is fun, a process crashed because someone badly misspelled our company name.Β 

Β 

• Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

The particular flag on the box doesnt matter, I just thought the poem was touching.

And mattresses are on a DEEP DISCOUNT, ACT NOW! Why are mattresses always on sale on Memorial Day?

Β 

The poem was poignant and evocative, nice oneΒ 

I have always believed that anyone who is prepared to do service in the military is demonstrating great patriotism and in times ofΒ  war its bravery and sadly sometimes sacrifice so the rest of us can continue to have the numerous freedoms we take for grantedΒ 

Β 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John MiltonΒ 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -Β  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Β 

Β 

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

And don't forget to hit up the Memorial Day sales!

is a goodly number o' cookware and bakeware sales, but is nothing we need, and 'course the one or two items we want anyways aren't on sale.Β 

we just cut up four whole chickens, which reminded us once again how we should get a larger plastic cutting board.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Carving-Cutting-Board/dp/B0835WTPX4/ref=sr_1_23?qid=1653938877&refinements=p_n_material_two_browse-bin%3A720783011&rnid=720779011&s=kitchen&sr=1-23&pldnSite=1

am such a cheap bastard we won't buy unless is on sale. the stuff am current using is way too small, but unless is on sale...

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well I spent the Fri-Sun stewarding at MCM Comic-Con at the ExCel in London.Β  Interesting to see the flip side of a Con.Β 

I'll likely be doing that again in the future.

Hm, and then of course I get home, crash out, do the slight stave-off of post-Con-Ick... and get the news that Star Wars Celebration is coming to London in 2023. In the ExCel.Β  And.. within 24 hours of that news, all hotels in the nearby vicinity have been booked over those dates...

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

19 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Well I spent the Fri-Sun stewarding at MCM Comic-Con at the ExCel in London.Β  Interesting to see the flip side of a Con.Β 

Hm, and then of course I get home, crash out, do the slight stave-off of post-Con-Ick... and get the news that Star Wars Celebration is coming to London in 2023. In the ExCel.Β  And.. within 24 hours of that news, all hotels in the nearby vicinity have been booked over those dates...

Please take photos and share them next time, I love the entire culture of Comic-Con....oh and dont forget the cosplay and booth-babesΒ πŸ₯³

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John MiltonΒ 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -Β  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Β 

Β 

3 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Please take photos and share them next time, I love the entire culture of Comic-Con....oh and dont forget the cosplay and booth-babesΒ πŸ₯³

You don't see booth-babes at Comic-Con these days as such.

However, there were an awful lot of Anime maids and schoolgirl pleated dresses and skirts. Some worn by very cute girls. Some worn by 40+, bearded, overweight guys.

Also :

IMG_20220527_1314112.jpg?width=393&heigh

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

Get to rough up any neckbeards ?

*reads about histamine (food) intolerance*

Hm...I keep having these bouts of intense all-over patch itchiness/tiny bumps/hives (no major rash tho) that comes and goes ... maybe it's not just pollens/dust/plastics/chemicals and I've developed a (pretty mild) case of food allergies and should alter my diet a bit yet again.

*high histamine foods you should avoid: fermented (pickles, kim chi, sauerkraut etc), soy, all cured meats, some nuts,Β  eggplant, tomato, yogurt/cheese, booze etc*

...with diabetes on top, at that rate the only thing I'll be able to eat is ... ultra-filtered water? ...Β  nvm, it's probably not it anyway and I can live with the itchiness (sour grapes). :lol:

β€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Somewhat inspired by the thread title, who would play you in a movie about your life?Β 

Spent half the night discussing this with my wife because while it doesn't seem that complicated, and it's not, she kept throwing out fictional people she wanted to play her. Her picks were Jadzia Dax (not Terry Farrell) and Angelina Jolie though they look nothing like her and are just her girl crushes. My pick was Powers Boothe but he's dead and I'm not sure how comfortable he would be with the nudity required for the role.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

14 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Somewhat inspired by the thread title, who would play you in a movie about your life?Β 

Spent half the night discussing this with my wife because while it doesn't seem that complicated, and it's not, but she kept throwing out fictional people she wanted to play her. Her picks were Jadzia Dax (not Terry Farrell) and Angelina Jolie though they look nothing like her and are just her girl crushes. My pick was Powers Boothe but he's dead and I'm not sure how comfortable he would be with the nudity required for the role.

If we're going for similar looking Cillian Murphy or young Tom Cruise. If we're going on who would make the best movie, Nic Cage going full Nic Cage or Cillian Murphy or Natasha Lyonne. Preferably all three directed by David Lynch and John Waters.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"YouΒ are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfullyΒ it seems like the creatorsΒ like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don'tΒ forgetΒ the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"AreΒ you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feralΒ camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'd pick an actor I despise, given said movie would be a tremendous financial disaster.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Idealized youthful fantasy/tearjerker K-drama version: Kim Go-eun

,,,that's an interesting question tho, really, because as an adopted Korean-American I don't really "relate" to the vast majority of the actresses I see on screen (Hollywood or many East-Asian productions either) in terms of seeing a sort of reflection of myself. I don't mean that in a negative way (eg, it doesn't bother me, it can still entertain), and I don't mean simply racially/looks but also the personality and culture portrayals...and because of that I have zero notion of an actress that would be "good" at playing me. So ... uh ... any adult female under 5 feet who's broody, a little tomboyish, lazy as f*** and verbalizes curse words far too often would work. πŸ˜›

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
β€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

I assume Malcador would be played by Moss from the IT crowd.

Disappointed-Pakistan-Fan.jpg

Β 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Spent half the night discussing this with my wife because while it doesn't seem that complicated, and it's not, but she kept throwing out fictional people she wanted to play her. Her picks were Jadzia Dax (not Terry Farrell) and Angelina Jolie though they look nothing like her and are just her girl crushes. My pick was Powers Boothe but he's dead and I'm not sure how comfortable he would be with the nudity required for the role.

pam grier? warning: sweary

have mentioned physical similarity would make esai morales an obvious choice, but that patton oswalt is more appropriate.Β  that said...

daniel day lewis clear is in touch with with his inner Gromnir already.Β 

HA! Good Fun!

Β 

• Haha 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

8 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Somewhat inspired by the thread title, who would play you in a movie about your life?

I spent 30 minutes thinking about it and came up blank. Can't think of a lookalike actor. Can't think of an actor (or even their characters) that would fit the personality. Maybe I have an identity crisis? 😟

Β 

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

β€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein
Β 

8 hours ago, Gorth said:

I spent 30 minutes thinking about it and came up blank. Can't think of a lookalike actor. Can't think of an actor (or even their characters) that would fit the personality. Maybe I have an identity crisis? 😟

Β 

Viggo.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Viggo.

If you mean this guy...

Viggo Mortensen at an event for Falling (2020)

Then nah... maybe a bit personality wise, but he has more wrinkles and less hair than I do 😁

Only recent picture I have of myself is not really for sharing, besides being half a year old, it's me doing some mock posing in front of the wall sized mirrors in an empty gym. I.e. exactly the kind of silly stuff you'd do when you're completely alone and nobody's looking πŸ˜‚

I have other pictures of myself of course, but they have friends too on them, so not going to share those either.

• Like 1

β€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein
Β