What You've Done Today - Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life

Hurlshort

5 hours ago, Amentep said:

Sorry, I got no clue what you actually do. 😄 

Well neither do I really.  So far I came up with "Provide support for internal clients to resolve business critical tasks necessary to keep projects on time and in scope". 

4 hours ago, Sarex said:

Communicate with the business owner to try to understand what they want changed/made and document it in a most foolproof and clear way they can for DEVs/QAs. Good BAs are few and far between.

In my company they seem to be

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

7 hours ago, Malcador said:

Basically the customer/business could do it, but do they want to do it? Doubt it. Who wants to do the tedious task of writing documentation then going to the dev/qa team to get their opinion/approval, then make further changes to the documentation and then rinse and repeat for every release.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Had picked up a ToughMaster toolbox, planning to use it to transport the cosplay armour to and from Cons in. Strong, rigid, wheels on one edge, extendible arm on the other.  Of course, it's got that bright yellow/orange and black plastic, so I'm planning out how to Star-Warzy it up a bit.

Having a good weather weekend so I spent time setting things up to put some primer over the orange bits. Got halfway into it, and my can of primer runs out. Go to get the fresh one.. and find I've only got cans of paint, not cans of primer...  Doh.  I could have sworn I had another one somewhere around, but can I find it?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

11 hours ago, Malcador said:

Well neither do I really.  So far I came up with "Provide support for internal clients to resolve business critical tasks necessary to keep projects on time and in scope". 

I would word it differently, rather say " "Provide support for internal clients to resolve critical tasks necessary to ensure  projects are delivered on time, in scope and to meet business objectives "  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

13 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I would word it differently, rather say " "Provide support for internal clients to resolve critical tasks necessary to ensure  projects are delivered on time, in scope and to meet business objectives "  

Yikes... that sounds like a template CV 😂

• Haha 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

8 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Yikes... that sounds like a template CV😂

Yes it does but then the next stage is for Malc to into more detail by saying something like ..."these tasks include xxxx  "

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Yes it does but then the next stage is for Malc to into more detail by saying something like ..."these tasks include xxxx  "

I can relate... written half a dozen cv's over a 30 year career period. The hard thing these days is what to trim and leave out. Usually stuff from the 1990's and 2000's which just get a headline (to keep my cv on less than 4 A4 pages)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 5/7/2022 at 6:50 AM, Gorth said:

Yikes... that sounds like a template CV 😂

So does most of it, actually, hmm.  Problem is gets way too detailed and not that interesting really - we have SaaS so often times internal projects (or bugs that need to be hotfixed for 18 months...) need stuff done with those environments.  So I have to do crap like I have to do today, log on for an hour to run procedures in the UAT DB because I'm the only one in the entire Western Hemisphere with access.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 5/6/2022 at 4:45 AM, Amentep said:

So what you're saying is...your memory of Vegas stayed in Vegas?

Y'know how there are those 90yr olds who can tell you in great, minute detail about their daily lives on the farm when they were 8? 

...I wont be one of them. 😛

Oh, and to be clear, am not saying disliked Vegas. Just dont remember much/not really our style. No big city/metro is. 

There are lots of our trips I dont recall many details of. They kind of blur together for me because hubby is type who cant sit still in one place/liked to keep moving,  so it was always lets keep going, whats over there. so we would seevisit multiple parks, towns, long mt.  roads every time. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Does anyone know a quality brand(s) for pots and pans? Willing to pay a premium for ones that don't immediately warp because of medium heat - can't stand a pan that slides around with the slightest touch because only 25% of the bottom actually touches the burner...and never mind only cooking half of what's in it.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

8 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Does anyone know a quality brand(s) for pots and pans? Willing to pay a premium for ones that don't immediately warp because of medium heat - can't stand a pan that slides around with the slightest touch because only 25% of the bottom actually touches the burner...and never mind only cooking half of what's in it.

Now that is a million dollar question... For pots, I own a Mehrzer set and it's very good. No plastic on it and very easy to clean, plus it's oven safe. The issue is, I don't know if you can get the set in the states. Zepter is a premium brand that I'm pretty sure you could get in the states and is good.

Now for pans, there simply isn't anything that is going to last you, or at least I haven't found it. The best I found so far are either Mehrzer, but I can't find them anymore or Kaufmax which I still use. The issue is that the teflon wears out with use and if you use it like a savage (which my household does) it gouges easily when hot. You need to use wooden utensils with teflon. I would also avoid the "stone" coating alternatives.

If anyone has a good brand of pans that they use I would also be very interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

what do you want? non-stick? pretty? stainless steel? what is your cooking surface?

a cast iron pan, properly seasoned, will cover most needs save eggs. cast iron is oven safe and a lodge cast iron skillet is extreme cheap and will outlive you if proper care is practiced.  a cast iron enameled dutch oven (the 7.5 qt doubles as a stock pot) and braiser is also less than obvious workhorses which will handle most needs, are oven safe, distribute heat like a dream and is durable. 'course they is heavy, which is also part o' what makes 'em such effective cooking implements. with a cast iron skillet, braiser and large dutch oven, add a non-stick pan or two and most o' your cooking needs is gonna be covered. you may buy lodge for 1/3 to 1/4 o' le creuset but the difference in quality is not extreme.

for most stuff not in the cast iron or non stick we use made in, but is not a great value pick.

more reasonable, for non-stick, am gonna admit we love these:

https://www.zwilling.com/us/zwilling/cookware/madura-plus/

these pans is heavy and durable.

am s'posing if we didn't have our made in pots and pans we would go all clad or misen for any nonstick needs. we also have a bunch o' 3-ply all clad, and have little room for complaint, but our made in is the gear we use nowadays.

HA! Good Fun!

ps carbon steel is kinda the new thing and am admitted curious, but we got little personal experience with decent carbon steel cookware. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I used to be happy with Tefal cookware over the years, although that isn't entirely what I'm using now. It was hard to find locally at a time when I needed to finally replace it (after 20 years). What I have now (a mix of Tefal and Scanpan, a Danish product line) seems to work fine on gas and ceramic stoves and has lasted me 15 years so far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I used to be happy with Tefal cookware over the years, although that isn't what I'm using now. It was hard to find locally at a time when I needed to finally replace it (after 20 years). What I have now (a mix of Tefal and Scanpan, a Danish product line) seems to work fine on gas and ceramic stoves and has lasted me 15 years so far.

Tefal took a nose dive quality wise.

Just now, Sarex said:

Tefal took a nose dive quality wise.

Ah.... I hope that was less than 15 years ago 😛

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gorth said:

I used to be happy with Tefal cookware over the years, although that isn't entirely what I'm using now. It was hard to find locally at a time when I needed to finally replace it (after 20 years). What I have now (a mix of Tefal and Scanpan, a Danish product line) seems to work fine on gas and ceramic stoves and has lasted me 15 years so far.

t-fal (tefal not US) is subject to the warping bartimeaus references. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We mostly use Lagostina pans here, have held up well for 10 years or so. We have some Green Pan pans too, they seem ok, but have to treat them special.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I've had luck with ceramic, not sure the brand but I think it's Xtrema. No issues with sliding (on a gas stove) and no warping after medium heat. Oven safe to boot.

The downside is that the pots and pans are thick and as such noticably heavier than non-stick comparisons.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am s'posing if we didn't have our made in pots and pans we would go all clad or misen for any nonstick needs. we also have a bunch o' 3-ply all clad, and have little room for complaint, but our made in is the gear we use nowadays.

well, there were some kinda brainfart with this.

simple breakdown:

for nonstick am recommending the aforementioned zwilling (madura or forte).

for cast iron, we recommend lodge

for stainless steel, made in is our first choice, but all clad and misen (5-ply for both brands) is comparable and as we noted, our 3-ply all clad is more than satisfactory.

side note: have seen misen sets, which is already reasonable priced, offered shocking cheap, particular during the holidays. we rare want sets which invariably include items we will never use, but if you are willing to be patient, is likely you find a nice misen deal at some point. costco also does all-clad deals from time-to-time, but is ordinarily the large sets which is having special deals and we never need a full set these days.

HA! Good Fun! 

ps misen cookware is made in china, so...

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

I've used non-stick for general use - as I understand it, non-stick is considered to to be generally safe up to medium heat, but it would be nice to have a pan not made out of distilled dementia that also won't warp or fall apart immediately. The recent pan I purchased was some cheapo carbon steel that I seasoned and then actually tried to use for the first time this morning and found that it was completely useless past low heat due to a ridiculous level of warping...but it may well be just because it was a cheapo than anything else. Guess that's what I get for trying to cheaply test out carbon steel - if you're gonna do something, do it right I suppose.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

We also use mostly All-Clad in our household for pots and pans. We have a bunch of skillets that have been passed down for generations, so I'm not sure how you get those other than finding one second hand. 

I do use a Greenpan fry pan for a lot of day to day stuff. The All-Clad fry pans get very hot, so I like having a simple pan that isn't as easy to scorch. Green Pan is inexpensive and will wear out with regular use, but it is easy enough to replace. It is non-toxic. It is the only non-stick I have, all of the all-clad is stainless steel.

Edited by Hurlsnot
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

as I understand it, non-stick is considered to to be generally safe up to medium heat

I crank up mine to max. I think that was an issue with the old teflon, the new mix doesn't have the harmfull materials. (as far as I know)