What You've Done Today - Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life

Hurlshort

36 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Meh, I prefer my area.  I go for a walk, see vapid yuppies, tweakers coming down from a high and crazies warning me about the ChiComs coming for my sperm.

As long as it's not the Techno-Necromancers from Alpha Centauri...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

for national parks, we got those majestic redwood forests here in ca

redwoods2c.thumb.jpg.62171e2332ef6a332266654eafcc2687.jpg

silly Gromnir, is another picture from our backyard. can see brick in bottom left corner which is our chimney.

for walks we typical go to a nearby lake, but for the next month or so we gotta keep our dogs leashed at all times even if is no other people anywhere nearby. main reason for leashes is the abundance o' water fowl which is hatching and one o' our dogs will attack and swallow whole the fledglings if he gets the chance. is not a pretty sight when the dog gets ahold o' a bird. also, perhaps 'cause o' enduring drought conditions, rattlesnakes is extra prevalent this year, and our dogs is curious blind to snakes; will literal walk right over top o'  'em.  doesn't make sense to us as the snakes (rattlesnakes, kingsnakes and others common in the area) is typical apparent to our non canine senses. even if the dogs can't see the snakes, you would assume they could smell 'em. have gotten lucky so far as has been a couple close calls. seeing as our dogs is preternatural snake dumb, am keeping 'em leashed. the dog who eats birds can seeming sense a silent and unmoving fledgling from fifty meters but will walk over a snake in his path seeming oblivious to the reptile. is weird.

curious aside, rattlesnake hatchlings is as lethal as full grown snakes 'cause while they inject less venom than adult snakes, the dose is more concentrated. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm currently thinking about trying this silly Star Trek: Picard 'absolute candor' thing. I'd say by the end of the week I'd no longer have a job and my family would stop talking to me, but at least I'd be left in peace and all by myself. It is so incredibly tiresome to pretend to care about anyone else's ridiculous sensitivities.

No, user, I don't want to spend an hour working on an issue that is only an issue because you can't stick to the defined process and that branches with a hundred times your workload have no issues with.

No, user, if you print a picking list and change the storage location afterwards, it is not going to automatically update itself on the paper. No, this is not complicated.

No, user, if you print a picking list after removing a package from storage it will not have a storage location printed on it. The package is no longer on hand. No, the system can't know you did not intend to remove it from storage unless you tell it so. No, this is not complicated.

No, user, I don't want to listen to you griping about software not doing exactly what you want it to do when it was not developed specifically for your needs. Just deal with the fact that your use case is an edge case that barely fits into the entire concept in the first place.

No, customer, I don't want to call you, you have an insignificant amount of shipments and make up less than 0.001% of all revenue, me talking to you about issues that are demonstrably on your or your IT service provider's end on the phone costs the company more than we make off of you in a month.

No, dear colleague, I don't want to make time to go to a COVID-19 antigen test because you invited me to your marriage ceremony. I don't want to go in the first place and only agreed because you'd be a prissy bitch about it if I'd decline.

No, dad, I already spend half of my time at work reading and writing emails, I don't want to be your secretary just because 'I type a lot faster' than you do.

*sigh*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

14 minutes ago, majestic said:

I'm currently thinking about trying this silly Star Trek: Picard 'absolute candor' thing. I'd say by the end of the week I'd no longer have a job and my family would stop talking to me, but at least I'd be left in peace and all by myself. It is so incredibly tiresome to pretend to care about anyone else's ridiculous sensitivities.

No, user, I don't want to spend an hour working on an issue that is only an issue because you can't stick to the defined process and that branches with a hundred times your workload have no issues with.

No, user, if you print a picking list and change the storage location afterwards, it is not going to automatically update itself on the paper. No, this is not complicated.

No, user, if you print a picking list after removing a package from storage it will not have a storage location printed on it. The package is no longer on hand. No, the system can't know you did not intend to remove it from storage unless you tell it so. No, this is not complicated.

No, user, I don't want to listen to you griping about software not doing exactly what you want it to do when it was not developed specifically for your needs. Just deal with the fact that your use case is an edge case that barely fits into the entire concept in the first place.

No, customer, I don't want to call you, you have an insignificant amount of shipments and make up less than 0.001% of all revenue, me talking to you about issues that are demonstrably on your or your IT service provider's end on the phone costs the company more than we make off of you in a month.

No, dear colleague, I don't want to make time to go to a COVID-19 antigen test because you invited me to your marriage ceremony. I don't want to go in the first place and only agreed because you'd be a prissy bitch about it if I'd decline.

No, dad, I already spend half of my time at work reading and writing emails, I don't want to be your secretary just because 'I type a lot faster' than you do.

*sigh*

Damn, some of them hit close to home, except I would be the one raising edge case issues. "So holding ctrl while clicking on that is not the use case? Too bad, have a bug." or "You don't think the user will type in δ⌐Ö♦•♀♣♣♀♪♫☼↕◄‼. Too bad have a bug."

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

13 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Damn, some of them hit close to home, except I would be the one raising edge case issues. "So holding ctrl while clicking on that is not the use case? Too bad, have a bug." or "You don't think the user will type in δ⌐Ö♦•♀♣♣♀♪♫☼↕◄‼. Too bad have a bug."

Not talking about edge issues that happen once every blue moon, that's fine. Specifically, it's a product (well, service) that a branch provides to its customers that has very little to do with what our system was created for, and they come with issues every time. Square peg, round hole and all that. We try to be as accomodating as possible, but there are limits to what we can do without negatively affecting the system for everyone else.

• Hmmm 1

41 minutes ago, majestic said:

Not talking about edge issues that happen once every blue moon, that's fine. Specifically, it's a product (well, service) that a branch provides to its customers that has very little to do with what our system was created for, and they come with issues every time. Square peg, round hole and all that. We try to be as accomodating as possible, but there are limits to what we can do without negatively affecting the system for everyone else.

There is that too, a similar case would be with our third party software supplier. We come in with an issue and they say we can't change the existing functionality it would affect other customers, best we can do is create a separate functionality for your issue and of course charge it as such (instead of bugfixing)... Doesn't matter that we are their largest customer...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

3 hours ago, majestic said:

I don't work in IT, but this is more or less what I'm dealing with right now. People who want to skip steps so they can get to what they want 'faster' but not realizing that skipping the steps will prevent them from getting what they want, and then trying to put the blame on our office that they didn't get what they wanted. Which only happened because they skipped steps.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sounds like some people here have a Case of the Mondays

One funny thing with how corporations work is how many people attend calls versus how many need to be.  On a call to look at an issue - I have 3 PMs from my side, 2 from theirs, and 2 IT people from theirs - one of which is just repeating what I say as if she came up with it.  And to top it all off, it's all because they didn't read an error message.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, majestic said:

I'm currently thinking about trying this silly Star Trek: Picard 'absolute candor' thing. I'd say by the end of the week I'd no longer have a job and my family would stop talking to me, but at least I'd be left in peace and all by myself.

But would you have command of the Starship Enterprise?

Yeah, my job right now involves dealing with some of the dumbest mother****ers who can't even read a manual. I get to bill warranty claims everytime I step on a job site, but it's a bit frustrating to see someone wired something wrong despite a big warning sticker on how to do it or connecting a device meant for propane to natural gas. And operator error, I have to act like a general problem solver for my boomer parents everytime somethings internet related happens, I don't want to do that for someone who spent $100000 on a pool but can't read a manual that tells you to keep your iPhone updated to the latest iOS or the app won't work.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

^  I'm not an IT but I can say it was very freeing to tell my parents/family to essentially stuff it years ago. This is me, I do not need "fixing", accept it or fluff off. :p

5 hours ago, Amentep said:

People who want to skip steps so they can get to what they want 'faster' but not realizing that skipping the steps will prevent them from getting what they want, and then trying to put the blame on our office that they didn't get what they wanted. Which only happened because they skipped steps.

Humanity is just a bunch of ranting 3 year olds who want candy.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

A while back a new neighbour moved in. Mostly she's the quiet and reserved type. Actually, most of the time you barely notice that someone new is around. Might also be because she apparently works night shifts and doesn't come out of her living place all day long. Just every now and then, at night, she leaves and you can catch a glimpse or two. I managed to snag two pictures, with relatively bad image quality because, uhm, well, it was night, my iPhone camera is pretty bad (I still got a first generation iPhone SE) and quite frankly, she gives me the creeps so I'm sure as hell not going any nearer than I was when taking the pictures.

To say she's hideous would be an understatement, so really, if I hadn't walk by her door to get to mine I'd totally not even go anywhere near where she could show up. Hence, the images are in spoiler tags. Don't complain if you click on them and have a heart attack or scream like Prince John when he goes to visit Latrine in Mel Brook's Men in Tights.

She also has the nasty habit of just throwing her leftovers out the door. Sheesh, who does that?

Spoiler

Spoiler

6k0ym1N.jpg

Peeking out of the door!

Spoiler

Tn2T5Ms.jpg

These images don't provide the necessary context to gauge the scale, so let me say that body is almost an inch long. :x

Yeah, so this thing is a giant house spider and can reach leg spans of up to four inches. Just writing this post gives me the creeps, and I was me who just screamed and had half a heart attack after I felt something brush up my back. Turned out to be a loose hair, but hey, one never knows, right? This thing also moves unnaturally fast, being the second fastest (formerly even the fastest, until a faster species was discovered) known spider on the planet.

Wikipedia has an image that provides size context for a three inch leg span version:

Spoiler

1280px-Tegenaria_duellica_and_dollar_bil

Great. Just, great...

Saw her today, not looking forward to the inevitable nightmares that will follow.

Edited by majestic
Formatting, missed an "and", spellink hard.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

You should kill her with fire.

• Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I have a pretty sizeable spider living near my outdoor camera light. Every once in awhile the spider will crawl across the camera lens and trigger a terrifying recording. I also have a bird that seems to delight in setting off the motion sensor. 

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

48 minutes ago, majestic said:

A while back a new neighbour moved in. Mostly she's the quiet and reserved type. Actually, most of the time you barely notice that someone new is around. Might also be because she apparently works night shifts and doesn't come out of her living place all day long. Just every now and then, at night, she leaves and you can catch a glimpse or two. I managed to snag two pictures, with relatively bad image quality because, uhm, well, it was night, my iPhone camera is pretty bad (I still got a first generation iPhone SE) and quite frankly, she gives me the creeps so I'm sure as hell not going any nearer than I was when taking the pictures.

To say she's hideous would be an understatement, so really, if I hadn't walk by her door to get to mine I'd totally not even go anywhere near where she could show up. Hence, the images are in spoiler tags. Don't complain if you click on them and have a heart attack or scream like Prince John when he goes to visit Latrine in Mel Brook's Men in Tights.

She also has the nasty habit of just throwing her leftovers out the door. Sheesh, who does that?

Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

6k0ym1N.jpg

Peeking out of the door!

Hide contents

Tn2T5Ms.jpg

These images don't provide the necessary context to gauge the scale, so let me say that body is almost an inch long. :x

Yeah, so this thing is a giant house spider and can reach leg spans of up to four inches. Just writing this post gives me the creeps, and I was me who just screamed and had half a heart attack after I felt something brush up my back. Turned out to be a loose hair, but hey, one never knows, right? This thing also moves unnaturally fast, being the second fastest (formally even the fastest) known spider on the planet.

Wikipedia has an image that provides size context for a three inch leg span version:

Hide contents

1280px-Tegenaria_duellica_and_dollar_bil

Great. Just, great...

Saw her today, not looking forward to the inevitable nightmares that will follow.

Feed her nuclear waste to grow to gigantic proportions and use her against your enemies.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

You should kill her with fire.

I'm normally cool with spiders, but if it's going to eventually grow into that big one, uh...yeah, I don't know, that's less than ideal.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'm normally cool with spiders, but if it's going to eventually grow into that big one, uh...yeah, I don't know, that's less than ideal.

Welcome to Australia...

3A02BB7600000578-3903934-image-a-21_1478228389126.jpg

• Gasp! 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

52 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Welcome to Australia...

Australia isn't a real place.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Welcome to Australia...

Ah... great... who needs sleep anyway?

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It's not even the largest huntsman around... 'Charlotte' (the one pictured) is only 20cm big. They can get up to a leg span of 30cm. Largest huntsman I ever had scuttling over my living room floor was around 15cm.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I had to kill a couple of spiders in my office the other day. Normally I'd just remove them and take them outside but they had me surrounded and I recognize military tactics when I see them. Plus my office is literal literally, as opposed to figurative literally, a closet in the basement, so there wasn't room for all of us in there.

I'm pretty sure Australia is some kind of alien experiment.

• Haha 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

6 hours ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

Feed her nuclear waste to grow to gigantic proportions and use her against your enemies.

Or get her to bite you. Though you'd probably turn into something more akin to a spider version of the Fly than Spiderman.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

19 hours ago, majestic said:

*sigh*

mmmm....honestly you seem to be very defeatist and negative about certain things people are asking you?

Lets try to change that attitude. Firstly we must  start with replacing the word " no " with " yes " 

Go about your day with the view " yes, we can " !!! :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

Welcome to Australia...

I have a form of arachnophobia because when I was 5 or so I got trapped in a curtain and a massive water spider was stuck in the curtain with me

One of my worst things is people who keep spiders as pets, it should be outlawed. I remember about 15 years ago I met a really attractive women at a club and I got her number. The next day she was obviously bored and asked if I can come pick her up so she could chill at my place

I came to pick her and I remember she stayed in this massive house and when I picked her up she said " I am going to bring Bob with, he is my pet ". So when someone says  " a pet " I imagine a hamster or rabbit. She gets into my car with a cage in her hand and you wont believe what was in the cage ....a Tarantula spider !!!!

It made me feel very uncomfortable  but she really seemed to have feelings for this 8 legged monstrosity  🕷️

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

13 hours ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

That path tends not to end well.

leoG.thumb.jpg.f806378dd1fc237b5a4ee3ea51d89607.jpg

8 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I'm pretty sure Australia is some kind of alien experiment.

Probably more of a Roadside Picnic thing and the aliens just stopped over for lunch not realizing what they left behind.

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I have a form of arachnophobia because when I was 5 or so I got trapped in a curtain and a massive water spider was stuck in the curtain with me

I know someone who has arachnophobia because as a kid they saw a giant spider (not Australian giant, just normal giant) and stepped on it not realizing it was a normal sized large spider carrying an enormous egg sac which, upon bursting, birthed hundreds of baby spiders that proceeded to crawl up said individuals leg and over their body.

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I came to pick her and I remember she stayed in this massive house and when I picked her up she said " I am going to bring Bob with, he is my pet ". So when someone says  " a pet " I imagine a hamster or rabbit. She gets into my car with a cage in her hand and you wont believe what was in the cage ....a Tarantula spider !!!!

It made me feel very uncomfortable  but she really seemed to have feelings for this 8 legged monstrosity  🕷️

You should have told her that you were arachnophobic and asked if she could teach you to get over it...eh? Know what I mean? Know what I mean? Nudge nudge. Nudge nudge. Know what I mean? Say no more...know what I mean?.  :brows:

• Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man