What You've Done Today - Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life

Hurlshort

51 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

gotta be careful considering today's environment. refer to young women as "girls" may be seen reflexive as patronizing especial on a board like this where 'cause o' general anonymity most readers will not realize just how old is gorth and that your girls remark is likely a innocuous descriptor o' any woman under 30 (35?) with whom you may have crossed paths over the decades.

True... I do tend to think of anyone younger than mid thirties as "girls". Not sure I thought in those terms when I met them back in time (and there was less or no age gap). I probably just thought of them as xyz (insert name here) 🤔

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

12 minutes ago, Gorth said:

True... I do tend to think of anyone younger than mid thirties as "girls". Not sure I thought in those terms when I met them back in time (and there was less or no age gap). I probably just thought of them as xyz (insert name here) 🤔

The word  " girls " can also be used  as  a way  of endearment in the nuances of the incredibly complex  English language 

Its like when  a women walks into a room and their are a group of men sitting down watching sport, drinking or playing cards  she can say " hello boys " or " what you boys doing ". Its used all the time in SA and its not about the age or an insult in anyway 

So I dont see  any issue around how you used word girls because of the intent and context of how you used it...dont get depressed and think you a sexist :p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Every Sunday at 9:30am  I can hear the Anglican church bells, its very calming and pleasant

Here is a photo from my balcony towards the Anglican church 

20220424_093258-2.jpg

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Went out to buy some litter and cat food. 

First time in years driving without someone by my side. 

I stop for a cat crossing the road on my way back. 

Car hits me from behind. 

My first accident while driving.

I REGRET NOTHING!!!

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

3 hours ago, Katphood said:

Car hits me from behind. 

Hide contents

I REGRET NOTHING!!!

That sucks. Its also sort of ironic as long as you are OK.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Speaking of 4k and TV's, hubby's 55" Samsung ...Q90 I think? (which they don't make anymore) that he uses as a work desktop survived the move to the new house.

And then he broke it by accidentally mis-reaching/side-swiping a small plastic volume control box (about 2x2 inches) into the bottom of the TV's skinny frame. Where the thing made contact, a giant fat black line appeared, and the bottom inch or so of the screen is all funky too, making a taskbar unreadable. He was bummed for days.

So, note, don't put volume controls (or remotes or anything of that nature) half a foot away from the bottom of a modern TV, in a spot where you may want to move it around a lot. Alternatively, don't have your TV on a floor stand that puts the bottom directly level with/practically sitting on the surface of your desk.  Apparently those "near invisible" plastic frames (let alone the screen, ofc) can't handle any impact at all.  😛

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

One of the pedals of my ergometer broke off. Time to hunt for a replacement. Meanwhile I've found that extended walks are decidedly not a decent alternative. They take longer and remove time from my somewhat cramped days. Eh. Plus that'll set me back some 500€ or more. Yay...

• Sad 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

21 hours ago, Katphood said:

Car hits me from behind. 

Reveal hidden contents

I REGRET NOTHING!!!

Well done for stopping and not killing the kitty

Do you have car insurance?

John Milton 

the important question is, did you get the cat food and litter home to your feline? it's nice you weren't injured, but gotta keep focused on the important stuff.

16 hours ago, Katphood said:

My copilot is my a-hole dad and he can't be bothered.

if after we received our driver's license and by law no longer needed an adult presence while piloting an automobile, we called and asked our father to go for a ride to get litter and chow for a cat, he woulda' hung up on us w/o saying a word, not that we ever woulda' asked for such. woulda been a weird ask from our pov.

'course am gonna assume driving in your part o' the world is not road warrior dangerous such that you would require a somebody to ride shotgun. steel self. shiny and chrome.

truth is if we had requested same paternal companionship while we were still in the instruction permit age range (15-17+,) our father woulda' been just as likely to ignore our plea but as we were living with him at the time, is unlikely he woulda' received the petty and visceral pleasure o' terminating a phone call with us. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

When you tell your line manager what you've got to work on for the day... and they assume it's going to fill up your entire day.

I'm never sure whether to flag their over-estimation of the workload, or ponder if I'm missing something obvious.

Then end up doing the "well, should I flag up I've got bugger all work to do unless emergency things pop up in the inbox or just lurk and feel mildly fraudulent?"

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

6 hours ago, Raithe said:

When you tell your line manager what you've got to work on for the day... and they assume it's going to fill up your entire day.

I'm never sure whether to flag their over-estimation of the workload, or ponder if I'm missing something obvious.

Then end up doing the "well, should I flag up I've got bugger all work to do unless emergency things pop up in the inbox or just lurk and feel mildly fraudulent?"

You do whatever it takes to have free time at work.  In my experience managers think a worker's day has infinite capacity, though.  

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

21 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Well done for stopping and not killing the kitty

Do you have car insurance?

Yup.

@Gromnir it's not like Roadwarrior, it's actually a whole lot worse.

But yeah, I'm a p*ssy, no question about that...  

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Got settled into my new place. Ordered some additional furniture, as I now have more space. But the real kicker is, unlike my previous place, this place has lots of windows. Large windows everywhere. Even the 3 bathrooms have windows 😎

it was something I sorely missed, watching myself in the mirror in daylight. Not because I'm too much of a narcissist, but because some grooming tasks are just so much easier when you can actually see something. I noticed a long, wayward eyebrow hair in immediate need of removal and... my razor was charging. So, grabbing a small scissor (the tiny ones, used for clipping nails) and proceeded promptly to poke myself int he eye with it 😝

Yeah. It was as stupid as it sounds  ✂️  👀

My poor right eye was red, burning and water just kept running from it for two days. That should teach me to wait for my razor to finish charging and use it's hair trimmer. Nice round plastic edges and no sharp or pointy bits 😂

Otherwise, busy flattening empty removal boxes and making room in the garage for a bunch of metal shelves for tools and hobby stuff (part of the above mentioned additional furniture, besides drawers and wall units/book shelves)

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My parents had the bright idea to buy my nephew a train sim for Easter. He's been trying to get the train to move ahead for the better part of an hour. It's still not moving an inch. It's a simulation, all right. I'm not sure if he raised all the current collectors. He may or may not have turned on both engines and have them running in different directions. Hell, who knows, he probably tried pressing every button and moving every lever without knowing what they do.

Reading the tutorial and doing things in order? Who cares about that? Drive, stupid train, DRIVE I SAY! MOVE IT!

Also I have no idea how people can play first person games without inverting their Y-axis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Got settled into my new place somewhere. Ordered some additional furniture, as I now have more space. But the real kicker is, unlike my previous place, this place has lots of windows. Large windows everywhere. Even the 3 bathrooms have windows 😎

it was something I sorely missed, watching myself in the mirror in daylight. Not because I'm too much of a narcissist, but because some grooming tasks are just so much easier when you can actually see something. I noticed a long, wayward eyebrow hair in immediate need of removal and... my razor was charging. So, grabbing a small scissor (the tiny ones, used for clipping nails) and proceeded promptly to poke myself int he eye with it 😝

Yeah. It was as stupid as it sounds  ✂️  👀

My poor right eye was red, burning and water just kept running from it for two days. That should teach me to wait for my razor to finish charging and use it's hair trimmer. Nice round plastic edges and no sharp or pointy bits 😂

Otherwise, busy flattening empty removal boxes and making room in the garage for a bunch of metal shelves for tools and hobby stuff (part of the above mentioned additional furniture, besides drawers and wall units/book shelves)

Geez, Gorthfuscious....3 bathrooms? How many bedrooms, why dont you take some photos. I would like to see it, is it a house or apartment ?

John Milton 

9 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Geez, Gorthfuscious....3 bathrooms? How many bedrooms, why dont you take some photos. I would like to see it, is it a house or apartment ?

Four bedrooms  (1 master bedroom, 1 guest bedroom, 1 computer/work from home room and 1 hobby room for painting and modelling Warhammer stuff). It's a townhouse :)

https://www.iqiglobal.com/blog/6-housing-types-and-what-are-the-differences-in-australia/

Because townhouse may not be the same in other countries. I like having garden and open spaces, lots of green areas and forest around me. Something I also missed sorely the previous place...

I'll get around to take a picture or two in the near future ;)

Edit: as for the layout of the place, the upper floor is mostly a large area with kitchen (separated by a counter), living and dining room areas. Lots full sized windows (i.e. from floor to ceiling) and a large balcony where I put all my outdoor furniture and the BBQ. One bathroom accessible from the common area and then the master bedroom with ensuite bathroom. Downstairs is a hallway with access to a laundry room, bathroom and the three bedrooms as well as access to the garage.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, majestic said:

My parents had the bright idea to buy my nephew a train sim for Easter. He's been trying to get the train to move ahead for the better part of an hour. It's still not moving an inch. It's a simulation, all right. I'm not sure if he raised all the current collectors. He may or may not have turned on both engines and have them running in different directions. Hell, who knows, he probably tried pressing every button and moving every lever without knowing what they do.

Reading the tutorial and doing things in order? Who cares about that? Drive, stupid train, DRIVE I SAY! MOVE IT!

Also I have no idea how people can play first person games without inverting their Y-axis.

You don't want to know how I played the Infinity Engine games when I was a kid... 😁

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I spent a few minutes when I first loaded Baldur's Gate trying to figure out how to move.  I thought my computer had locked-up and rebooted it. And I wasn't a kid (but BG was the first computer game I'd played since Wolfenstein 3D)

• Haha 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

2 hours ago, majestic said:

I don't get how or why people play like that, it's not an airplane 😛

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

14 minutes ago, Sarex said:

You don't want to know how I played the Infinity Engine games when I was a kid... 😁

With the Saerilith mod?

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Made more soup. Ate more orange dark chocolate. Sat on the rickety rocking/slider porch bench (came with the house...) watching the squirrels. Gamed. Slept.

Hubby: "Do you want to go back to the other house this weekend again to get more stuff?"
Me: "If we don't miss any of that stuff that's still there, do we really need it?"  😛

...I guess even with a few larger pieces left, I feel fully "moved" and don't want to budge anymore. 
...hubby still has tons of "stuff" tho. All that garage/handyman type odds and ends. I think he has a Home Depot's worth of a spare odds/ends woodpile he brought up last time. Pfft.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

5 minutes ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

With the Saerilith mod?

I had to google that. But no, rules and reading didn't have much to do with how I played the game. I'm impressed I got as far along as I did.

Edited by Sarex
  • Haha 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

11 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I had to google that. But no, rules and reading didn't have much to do with how I played the game. I'm impressed I got as far along as I did.

Well now I feel bad about introducing that mod to you.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands