Random/Interesting/Weird

Gorth

The French strike back... 😂

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64436973

The AP stylebook Twitter account had recommended writers avoid using "the" in phrases like "the disabled, the poor and the French".

It said this could be dehumanising.

The French embassy responded by briefly changing its name to the "Embassy of Frenchness in the United States".

Way to go French Embassy 😁

• Haha 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Rio Tinto in the headlines again... this time not for blowing up 40000 year old sacred places, but for misplacing radioactive cargo. Oops?...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-28/radioactive-capsule-search-perth-to-pilbara-/101902914

It's only 6mmx8mm or so, but will give you burns on distances of a meter and acute radiation sickness if put in your pocket. Kids... don't pick up shiny rocks offered by uncle Tinto, it's not good for you

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I mean, if you give them all the same animation and execute that animation on all units at the same time... yeah of course it will be perfectly synced.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

4 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Yeah, the proverbial needle in the haystack 😂

They do risk a fine of up to $1000 for careless handling of highly radioactive Caesium 13something. Even littering can incur harsher penalties 🤔

• Sad 2

And this is with telemetry turned off.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

22 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

And this is with telemetry turned off.

Also absolutely worthless as it gives no point of reference as to what this "brand new laptop, just booted up" actually is and how much pre-installed software just started up (queries to McAffee sound suspiciously like there's a pre-installed McAffee suite on the computer), and then he goes on to compare it to a clean Windows XP Professional installation. Also notice how the Windows XP task bar is shown, but never the Windows 11 task bar (in the video, not in the thumbnail). In fact, he just kept the browser in full screen mode all the time. Why?

That is reminiscent of the video claiming that Windows 10 phoned home half a million times where they disconnected the computer from the internet, and 499,000 of these connections were the networking time protocol trying to sync the computer's date and time. Oooooh, scary.

Not that Microsoft isn't collecting data, but this proves nothing, it's just manipulative bull... like almost all of these videos.

Edited by majestic
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I'm still looking for a reason for *why* I should upgrade from 10 to 11 🤔

Nobody has so far presented a good case for why it would be a good idea. Microsoft trying to trick me using every trick in the marketing beginners handbook, with prominent OK and tiny cancel buttons to the placement of the options and dark zones just makes me even more reluctant to do so.

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

I'm still looking for a reason for *why* I should upgrade from 10 to 11 🤔

Nobody has so far presented a good case for why it would be a good idea. Microsoft trying to trick me using every trick in the marketing beginners handbook, with prominent OK and tiny cancel buttons to the placement of the options and dark zones just makes me even more reluctant to do so.

End of life for Win 10. It's no longer getting feature updates and at some point it will stop getting security updates.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Having a 12+th gen Intel CPU also helps with the decision. While the Windows 11 Thread Director doesn't significantly improve top end performance outside of some outliers over Windows 10, 1% and 0.1% lows in games are noticably better with Windows 11.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I use it on my work laptop, but I would have installed it on my PC too if my components supported it, alas 10 years is a bit too old it seems.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP