Coronavirus 666: This is one sick thread!!!

Gfted1

Getting better, thanks. 

I didn't work from home full time until after I got COVID the first time. The second infection is probably from my son's daycare, but believe it or not, as antisocial as I am, we're always out and about or at some kind of get together.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Goodness, seems like a lot of forumites are getting hit with it now. I'm glad it seems everyone is ok/coping well? Hope it stays that way.

We're still corona free far as we know. If we've had it we've been asymptotic and wouldn't know. Still our extreme isolationist selves and wear our masks everywhere when we do need to go out etc. Haven't gotten boosters.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm still a bit surprised by not even having had the common cold for 2 years now. I used to get it at least twice a year throughout living memory... until 2020 and people starting the distancing, mask wearing and hand sanitizer thing. I remember talking to my GP about it about a year ago (the seemingly vanished common cold) and he told me even the normal flu shots were not in demand, as nobody got the flu anymore either. Maybe it shows how much of a strain on our bodies the modern society has become, with everyone living lumped together in large mobs?

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Minor update:

My wife's sister and her daughter seem to be fine, apparently they got lucky and only have mild symptoms (although given how quickly that can go bad, who knows). Her brother on the other hand, who had the false positive before Christmas now has a hard, dry and somewhat persistent cough. We all think he got COVID-19, but he isn't doing any testing since he got his "recovered from COVID-19" medical certificate from last time.

That buffon is still going to work, which isn't problematic at all. It also must be a whole lot worse than he lets on because he usually doesn't take any medication at all (doctors are just there to make you sicker, not healthy, bla bla, conspiracy, blargh, blah) but apparently his meditation and Sufi practices don't help, so he started to take pain medication. The guy is an idiot, but he's tough as nails normally, so yeah... stupid. Just stupid. Fits, though. Morons, the lot of them.

Meanwhile my mother was in close contact with an infected person yesterday, so now it's time to wait and see what happens. Luckily she recently had her booster shot, so she should be good.

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

I'm still a bit surprised by not even having had the common cold for 2 years now. I used to get it at least twice a year throughout living memory... until 2020 and people starting the distancing, mask wearing and hand sanitizer thing. I remember talking to my GP about it about a year ago (the seemingly vanished common cold) and he told me even the normal flu shots were not in demand, as nobody got the flu anymore either. Maybe it shows how much of a strain on our bodies the modern society has become, with everyone living lumped together in large mobs?

Yeah, no, wait until you catch a cold from someone the next time. That'll be hell. I haven't had a cold either for two years ever since this started, and near the end of last year was knocked out for three days and was pretty down for a week from a silly sniffle (wasn't COVID though, just really, really bad case of the common cold). Respiratory infections suck without constant immune system training. :p

That nobody got the flu is pretty understandable, it's a lot less infectious than SARS-CoV-2 and spread in the same way, so all the anti-corona measures killed that spread pretty quickly.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Starting back in like 2011, I went through a period of about five years where I had the flu every year. Unusual for me, since I hardly ever got sick before then - a couple of colds and I think two bouts of flu my entire childhood, which isn't too bad. Now over the last 5 years, I've only had like one fairly minor cold the entire time (extra surprising to believe the last two years, what with the constant exposure to my nieces, who have been sick with colds about three times, the flu once, and something flu-like recently that didn't test positive as covid but also mysteriously didn't test as positive for anything else either). Pretty happy to take that.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

That buffon is still going to work, which isn't problematic at all. It also must be a whole lot worse than he lets on because he usually doesn't take any medication at all (doctors are just there to make you sicker, not healthy, bla bla, conspiracy, blargh, blah) but apparently his meditation and Sufi practices don't help, so he started to take pain medication. The guy is an idiot, but he's tough as nails normally, so yeah... stupid. Just stupid. Fits, though. Morons, the lot of them.

Well, as we all know, none our actions affect anyone else, so he's well within his rights to do as he pleases.

Spoiler

No Borat today, I'm afraid.

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-9.35.18-AM.9bb

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

My wife tested negative yesterday and is back in action, so no more couch for me. My son will test later today. Both were just congested and had headaches off and on. I still feel great and tested negative, knock on wood. Back is a little stiff from my couch. :p

I wonder how important exercise is for recovery? My wife went and ran a 5k on Sunday by herself, just to get out of the house and move a bit after a week of quarantine. It seemed to help her quite a bit. We still have a race on Saturday, so hopefully everything continues well.

There is also quite a bit of stigma surrounding this thing, so it is interesting navigating the social aspects of it. 

• Like 4

Negative on the rapid test.

• Like 5

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

https://www.yahoo.com/news/vaccine-scientists-discredited-claims-bolstered-022010483.html

This stuff kills me. I mean, it's like that whole '9 our of 10 doctors recommend' advertising campaign that used to be popular back in the day. It amazes me that there is an entire population that is like, "yeah, but that 1 out of 10 is the one I want to hear more about!"

29 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/vaccine-scientists-discredited-claims-bolstered-022010483.html

This stuff kills me. I mean, it's like that whole '9 our of 10 doctors recommend' advertising campaign that used to be popular back in the day. It amazes me that there is an entire population that is like, "yeah, but that 1 out of 10 is the one I want to hear more about!"

The funniest part is when they yell about how everyone has an agenda, but Malone is the poster boy of having one. He just feels cheated out of his glory and money, and lashes out accordingly. :yes:

45 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Because he's not the one that's been bought off, WAKE UP YOU SERVILE SHEEP.

I like how he tweeted that the vaccines killed a kid 8 years in the past though.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 hours ago, Gorth said:

I've always been an advocate for the idea that as soon as you know you're sick with something communicable, stay the **** home. Even if it's "harmless" it could still be a lost week for someone else. I mean, would that prevent a wild spread of a killer virus - probably not. But humans tending to be lax re: consideration for others (and the design of public gathering points) because something is deemed "harmless" is at least a small part of the problem of why we're never "ready" for something worse.

My mother's retirement home had hand sanitizer everywhere in the dining hall and other rules and social politeness long long before covid, because, y'know, old people. It is a polite thing and a safety thing for them. Maybe such consideration should not be something left only for "old people."

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Omicron May Not Evade All Monoclonal Antibodies, Study Suggests

The Omicron variant of coronavirus may evade several, but not all, monoclonal antibodies used clinically to prevent patients from developing severe COVID-19, according to a laboratory study.

Several past studies have shown that such antibodies are unsuccessful in neutralising Omicron.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Long Covid: doctors find ‘antibody signature’ for patients most at risk

When Covid strikes, IgM antibodies ramp up rapidly, while IgG antibodies rise later and provide longer-term protection. Blood tests on the participants showed that those who developed long Covid – also known as post-acute Covid-19 syndrome (Pacs) – tended to have low levels of IgM and the antibody IgG3.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Sarah Palin returns to NYC restaurant two days after testing positive for Covid

am not exactly surprised by the story given how often we has seen similar behavior since covid became a thing. reading boardies minimize covid and excuse why they don't follow common sense pandemic behaviors no longer even evokes an eye-roll. 'course maybe that is the point. eventual you get kinda numb to selfish and/or stoopid.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

kplpown6lue81.png

• Sad 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

27 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Got boosted. Moderna this time.

Have you felt the urge to swear fealty to Bill Gates?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Everyone's fine on my end, but my wife has tested positive today, so she's going back into isolation. This is getting really annoying, but hey, she dealt with Alpha pretty well, so I guess Omicron (if that's what it is) won't be an issue either. Hopefully.

• Like 3

why? hospitalizations and case numbers has seen a sharp decrease in the past week or two. the omicron spike appears to be over. if nj takes a reasonable approach and reduces mask restrictions for certain groups, that would appear justified, if the science backs up such a move. current, n95s is the best option for those congregating indoors and unable to social distance, but keeping n95s on crumb snatchers is likely an impossible task under the best o' circumstances. fight a losing battle for nothing when actual infection circumstances has changed?  yankee common sense as 'posed to obdurate and ignorant? not a hard choice.

if six months from now we see reports o' a new variant and advice from cdc and elsewhere changes, am expecting the same 100ns will be talking 'bout yankee flip-flops or simillar nonsense... 'cause the past couple years o' this kinda stoopid has just not managed to change the minds o' anybody who dug in their heels and decided n95s is only for cleaning up the cat box.

*eye roll*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Lets discuss the topic.  Neither the sartorial splendor of our various outfit choices nor our decisions regarding where to post or things like that are the topic of this thread.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man