What You've Done Today - Always You Must Meddle, Looking For Trouble Where None Exists.

Sarex

I know technically I should be waiting until after my first paycheck comes in, but I needed some mood shopping, and wanting to get started on some of that crafting related elements before work kills all my time, so I started sorting out fabrics, patterned pleather and such like for ordering. Plus contemplation of that first set of basic leatherworking tools if I'm going to try developing those skills in the future...

Also, contemplating future transport and seeing some of the ways folks have come up with transport containers for gear once done:

8e36ad8d539de68448e712ef868312ac.jpg

3eae43af7b938c15af8d8477070923c1.jpg

Which means I'll also have that urge to make sure space in future budget for such containers and more paint....

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Got my booster shot 30 seconds ago…. So far, so good 😝

Edit: have to sit still on a chair for 15 minutes before I’m allowed to leave, might as well read some news 

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Overheard an ad saying "...a little advice can get you from thinking about it, to doing it!" and I really took that the wrong way :lol:

I think I need to make a religion around JIRA, based off my coworkers I can find some apostles readily enough.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

22 hours ago, Gorth said:

Got my booster shot 30 seconds ago…. So far, so good 😝

Edit: have to sit still on a chair for 15 minutes before I’m allowed to leave, might as well read some news 

Had a very light fever overnight (enough to make it a bit of a restless sleep) and a slight headache today (not enough to bother with a painkiller). Not too shabby I suppose. Three shots of mRNA in a period of a little more than 6 months... I wonder if there by now are any original Gorth particles left in my body? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Had a very light fever overnight (enough to make it a bit of a restless sleep) and a slight headache today (not enough to bother with a painkiller). Not too shabby I suppose. Three shots of mRNA in a period of a little more than 6 months... I wonder if there by now are any original Gorth particles left in my body? 🤔

good to hear things went reasonably well. your vaccine reluctance were well earned. personal, we had a terrible time with our initial shingles vaccine side effects, but we didn't end up in the icu. our adverse reaction to the shingles vaccine did not keep us from getting the follow-up shot, but we were dreading having to roll up our sleeve for number two. can't imagine what our reluctance would been like if were the result o' a hospitalization instead o' just the worst night we can't recall. 

heck, we ate bad artichoke heart dip +30 years ago and we literal become nauseated by the smell o' artichokes even now. serious, it's been decades. the discovery roasted artichokes prevents cancer would have us holding out on partaking longer than otherwise reasonable. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

Gorthfuscious what would you do if scientists acknowledged that all these vaccines were not necessary and they  only recommended them to make money for large international, greedy, Capitalist pharmaceutical companies?

I am feeling very rough and hangover  after my Valentines drinking celebration last night, we had a great time and all the various single people were in a  festive mood. I really think I found love....I just dont know how much I paid for it :wowey:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

29 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Gorthfuscious what would you do if scientists acknowledged that all these vaccines were not necessary and they  only recommended them to make money for large international, greedy, Capitalist pharmaceutical companies?

I knew it, bloody price gougers at Oxford University, lets hang them all from the street lights!

Besides being the first time my gut instinct had let me down this badly, I would at least feel good with myself, that I did what I thought was best for my fellow man. No, I probably wouldn't trust the CDC in the US, I sure as heck dont trust *anything* the current Australian government tells me, but you know who I trust? The health authorities in my old country, whose advice I've been following since the beginning of the outbreak. They don't give a flying (beep) about big pharmacy companies.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I knew it, bloody price gougers at Oxford University, lets hang them all from the street lights!

Besides being the first time my gut instinct had let me down this badly, I would at least feel good with myself, that I did what I thought was best for my fellow man. No, I probably wouldn't trust the CDC in the US, I sure as heck dont trust *anything* the current Australian government tells me, but you know who I trust? The health authorities in my old country, whose advice I've been following since the beginning of the outbreak. They don't give a flying (beep) about big pharmacy companies.

You know I only trust anything based on factors like the historical precedent, the observed reality of things and then empirical evidence of what people or organizations say 

So for me I do still believe vaccines are the the most effective way to reduce deaths and hospitalizations and its based on data that we know from every country that provides information about its pandemic response. Its constant  and irrefutable that 85%-95% of people in hospitals are the unvaccinated so why not take your vaccine just to reduce this reality when it comes to dangerous variants?

But I do agree with @Keyrock that goalposts have been changing and so have many governments responses when it comes to overall virus preventative measures. But this is not a  generalization and we need to look at each case and country separately 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well if we choose to stay here, would have to tear down the drywall in a couple bedrooms, insert wall insulation and use that "soundproofing" drywall (it's denser/heavier or something) and see if that makes enough difference.  Has anyone done something like that, does it really make much of a difference? Stuff like those foam wall squares ppl tack on walls wouldn't work, I see them as hard to clean dust collectors.  >.>

My allergies have also been very bad up here for whatever reasons, not fond of that. Also, would you like coyotes with your golf course? :)  Neighbor asked if we had cats because (outdoor) cats around here supposedly don't last long with coyotes around.

coyotegolf1.jpg

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

i have to go to New York in two weeks. I've been to 39 of the fifty states and nine other countries. Never set foot in NYC though.  Why the heck couldn't it be during baseball season? Going to be there for three days. I am trying to convince G to come with. If so we'll extend it to a week and play tourist. 

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

12 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Well if we choose to stay here, would have to tear down the drywall in a couple bedrooms, insert wall insulation and use that "soundproofing" drywall (it's denser/heavier or something) and see if that makes enough difference.  Has anyone done something like that, does it really make much of a difference? Stuff like those foam wall squares ppl tack on walls wouldn't work, I see them as hard to clean dust collectors.  >.>

What's the issue?

I am against tacking on in general. Unless it is the only option. What's your drywall, what is inside it? How old is it?

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

What's the issue?

I am against tacking on in general. Unless it is the only option. What's your drywall, what is inside it? How old is it?

The issue is I can hear hubbys every word if he is having a phone meeting, plus gaming or tv noise is too loud even if door shut even at lowish volumes. At least for my tastes. We replaced the cheap hollow doors already.  I dont expect silence but its way too loud for our lifestyle, especially me being a nightowl.

House walls are typical usa drywall and wall thickness but no wall insulation which is common in houses from 50s and 60s. Previous houses were concrete floors, this one is wood foundation. carpet in bedrooms hallway, wood and linoleum tiles in living areas.

I grew up with wood foundations so I know theyre louder but this whole house is echoy feeling. I became too used to being able to be loudish and barely being able to hear it. >.>

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

i have to go to New York in two weeks. I've been to 39 of the fifty states and nine other countries. Never set foot in NYC though.  Why the heck couldn't it be during baseball season? Going to be there for three days. I am trying to convince G to come with. If so we'll extend it to a week and play tourist. 

Go to New Park Pizza on Cross Bay Blvd in Queens. Thank me later.

One of the very few benefits of living in Connecticut was that we had the second best pizza in America (particularly in the New Haven area). It's the only thing I miss about CT since I moved down south, pizza anywhere near that good is impossible to find here. The absolute best I've found in the greater Charlotte area would be a middle of the road at best pizza in Connecticut. As good as the pizza in CT was, it was still a step down from NYC pizza. Any time I drove my folks to or picked them up from JFK airport I ALWAYS took a half hour detour to New Park Pizza. Worth every penny and every minute.

Note: If we have any New Yorkers in the forum they can probably tell you a place even better than New Park Pizza. It's the best place I found, but I never lived in NYC so my sample size is somewhat limited.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

The issue is I can hear hubbys every word if he is having a phone meeting, plus gaming or tv noise is too loud even if door shut even at lowish volumes. At least for my tastes. We replaced the cheap hollow doors already.  I dont expect silence but its way too loud for our lifestyle, especially me being a nightowl.

House walls are typical usa drywall and wall thickness but no wall insulation which is common in houses from 50s and 60s. Previous houses were concrete floors, this one is wood foundation. carpet in bedrooms hallway, wood and linoleum tiles in living areas.

I grew up with wood foundations so I know theyre louder but this whole house is echoy feeling. I became too used to being able to be loudish and barely being able to hear it. >.>

Hmm,

There isn't anything you can do about a wooden floor other than thick carpet. Though concrete floor can also be loud. For drywall a roll of fibreglass/glasswool helps quite a bit. But that would mean opening the walls up.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Unfortunately I have only visited 5 US states and NY is one of them but its also one of the main incoming international entry points from SA  when we fly to the US we land in NY or Atlanta. Its an amazing city and full of energy and you going to have a great time ....remember GD " its the city that never sleeps " 

I remember the first time I went to the US was on holiday  in the 1980's near the end of Apartheid and we stayed in this hotel near Central Park and their was this  incredible breakfast buffet that we had never really seen before because of sanctions. The grandeur and choices of all the food was mind boggling at the time 

They had this huge fruit display which was probably 1.5 meters high and one of my brothers took a piece of pawpaw from the bottom of the display and caused the ENTIRE fruit display to come crashing down on the buffet table :grin:

He learnt an important lesson ..." never take fruit from the bottom of the display " 

John Milton 

I like those days, I can get no work done and have an excuse to not do it. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nothing like having a problem like "we need to merge this change in to Branch X" and then having to join a Teams meeting with EIGHT people to plan and discuss this. 

gun-to-head-nodding.gif

Edited by Malcador

Heh, colleague was the first to receive this year's feelgood letter (bottom line is we get a bonus), not only did they address him as "Dear Ms. <name>" it also signs off with "stay positive!", which is kind of hilarious, given the current situation. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

5 hours ago, majestic said:

Heh, colleague was the first to receive this year's feelgood letter (bottom line is we get a bonus), not only did they address him as "Dear Ms. <name>" it also signs off with "stay positive!", which is kind of hilarious, given the current situation. :p

What's a bonus ?

• Like 1