The TV and Streaming Thread: Series 5

Amentep

3 hours ago, Gromnir said:

you managed to finish at least a dozen o' the books? you have earned the option to call 'em anything you damn well please. as far as am concerned, the jordan estate and the book publisher should dedicate a scholarship in your name, and those like you, for the courage and fortitude you displayed when facing improbable odds. 

HA! Good Fun!

I'm not really much into straight fantasy anymore, which is probably a big part of why I'm not at all interested in this show. That, and I am sure that even if I was still into fantasy, historically I haven't tended to do well with huge shows like these anyways. I might give it a try at some point if the reviews are great, though...see what's what, I guess. I read the majority of the books (the first...eleven or so, I want to say?) in my early teens, when I wasn't quite as critical as I am now. And then I come in here and apparently there are people who re-read the entire series every single time a new book came out. I think I'd lose my mind if I had to sit through the entire series of Nynaeve tugging her braid and smoothing her skirts again. Thinking about it does kind of give me a wave of nostalgia, but they're memories probably better left undisturbed.

At least it wasn't as traumatic as reading Harry Turtledove in 5th grade - The Wheel of Time was an easy and silly adventure series in comparison to that.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

6 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'm not really much into straight fantasy anymore, which is probably a big part of why I'm not at all interested in this show. That, and I am sure that even if I was still into fantasy, historically I haven't tended to do well with huge shows like these anyways. I might give it a try at some point if the reviews are great, though...see what's what, I guess. I read the majority of the books (the first...eleven or so, I want to say?) in my early teens, when I wasn't quite as critical as I am now. And then I come in here and apparently there are people who re-read the entire series every single time a new book came out. I think I'd lose my mind if I had to sit through the entire series of Nynaeve tugging her braid and smoothing her skirts again. Thinking about it does kind of give me a wave of nostalgia, but they're memories probably better left undisturbed.

At least it wasn't as traumatic as reading Harry Turtledove in 5th grade - The Wheel of Time was an easy and silly adventure series in comparison to that.

keep in mind am not addressing quality per se. if jesus showed up at simon and schuster tomorrow and offered 'em his personal twelve volume dissertation on christianity, with each volume far exceeding 300 pages, am suspecting the editors would try and encourage the son of God to condense things a smidge, and if the set were published as-is, how many christians would then lie 'bout having actual read the whole set? 

am recognizing the wot series were released over a considerable period o' time, but at some point the ordinary reader had to feel like they were being punk'd, no?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

. And then I come in here and apparently there are people who re-read the entire series every single time a new book came out.

The trouble I have is that I can finish a 300 page novel in 3 and a bit hours. That's my natural reading speed, not trying to push it or actually read fast.

Having a thick series like the Wheel of Time can be broken down into a few weekends worth of solid reading. It's always amazed me when my friends talk about spending the better part of a month to read a book I finish in an evening. I find it really hard to grok that it takes time for a  lot of people to read.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

3 hours ago, Raithe said:

The trouble I have is that I can finish a 300 page novel in 3 and a bit hours. That's my natural reading speed, not trying to push it or actually read fast.

Having a thick series like the Wheel of Time can be broken down into a few weekends worth of solid reading. It's always amazed me when my friends talk about spending the better part of a month to read a book I finish in an evening. I find it really hard to grok that it takes time for a  lot of people to read.

I was a decently fast reader, but never nearly that fast - I read those ~11 books over a couple of months of a summer, as I recall. How fast I read is usually dependent upon the author - there are some authors I could read a 300 page book in probably 4-5 hours in a single day, and there are other authors whose prose is a bit more unconventional, or who jam-pack their writing with so much ideas and detail that nothing like that pace is in any way realistic, as I'd lack the muscle memory, so to speak, to comprehend/digest their writing with the speed and ease as you might a more conventional writer. Robert Jordan, by most standards, I'd think would only qualify as being a little unconventional...though probably more-so in his last few books as he kind of got more unrestrained before Sanderson took over (who IMO was, by all means, a perfectly good but a bit more conventional writer that made going through his WoT books easier than the Jordan ones). I'd have to imagine you're probably pretty close to the top percentile for reading and comprehension skills if you can chew through stuff that quickly.

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

how many christians would then lie 'bout having actual read the whole set? 

A question as valid now as it is in your hypothetical, really...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

4 hours ago, Raithe said:

I was similar (I say "was" because I hardly read anymore so a bit out of practice). I reached a point where if a novel wasn't at least 500+ pages I wouldn't buy it.  😛 

Note that I am not quite that fast reading non-fiction, because such does not create "movies" in my head (where I no longer consciously see words on a page anymore). I still read such pretty fast, but not quite fiction-novel fast. But reading fiction is more of a visual experience for me and trying to get through such 10 pages or a chapter at a time would drive me insane, just like someone pausing a film every 5 minutes - or worse, only watching 5 minutes of a film per day - would drive most people batty.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

4 hours ago, Raithe said:

internet tells us the books average +800 pages, and there are fourteen of 'em.  if those weekends you spend on wot is spent literal do nothing but reading wot, then maybe a "few." 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It took me a while to notice that "Elmond's Field" was Emond's Field. Don't ask me why.:shrugz:

10 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

internet tells us the books average +800 pages, and there are fourteen of 'em.  if those weekends you spend on wot is spent literal do nothing but reading wot, then maybe a "few." 

HA! Good Fun!

You wanna know how big this series is? Youtuber Unravelling the Pattern showed this comparison:

Wot.png

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

13 hours ago, Lexx said:

Yeah, I tried a few first episodes of other shows, but they all seem a bit ... over the top. I'm not really a big fan of slap stick.

Watched the first episode of Because This Is My First Life now and really liked it. Will definitely continue with that one!

If you end up liking that series, I'd also recommend One Spring Night, also on Netflix. A couple other possibles:  Chocolate and My First First Love (sappy title but...)

And yeah, a lot of k-dramas on the lighter or heavier romantic side sometimes have a lot of their version of slapstick (sometimes hilarious, but sometimes cringe), either as main or some side character subplots. Some of them are an oddball mixture of slapstick, romance, and super tragic circumstances or a serial killer plot all in the same 16 episodes. >.>  Farther back in time you go, the more "teen comic book or soap-opera melodrama" you may encounter (Boys Over Flowers is infamous in this regard) and their tv cinematography will look cheaper and rougher looking.  K-drama's have evolved a lot in the past 10-12 years.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

TNG "Rightful Heir"

Worf has a crisis of faith.  He goes on a vision quest.  His vision turns out to be real, so he immediately becomes a skeptic and seeks advice from a robot about faith.  

Meanwhile, Gowron's eyes bore into your very soul.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Mel Brooks is still alive?

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

95 years young!

• Gasp! 2

Another episode of Squid Game.

...I'm liking it, well acted and produced etc, but it's kind of depressing and I don't feel like binge-watching it (maybe an episode or two at a time at most).  I've liked plenty of similar plots before, probably just not in the mood for this type of show right now. But anyway, if you don't like dystopian feeling social desperation horror and visceral violence, I'd stay away.

Edited by LadyCrimson

I found this cute/charming, interesting, and occasionally lightly amusing. Since it's Firefly related I'll put it here. 😛

• Like 3

Caught up on the last few episodes of Foundation.

Still undecided on what exactly to make of it.They ended episode two on what looked like an important cliffhanger.. then the next two episodes have time jumps and nothing related to it, only to then pick it up again in episode five. Which makes it a little disconcerting as a viewer, but I guess it also adds to the whole "time is a character" concept the screenwriters and producers were throwing around.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

46 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

Even Loial is black in Woke of Time.

Nothing is  sacred anymore Hoonding....I agree :shrugz:

What are we going to do, I think the best thing is to complain on some gaming forum but watch the series anyway because  we dont want to make a real stand about this and boycott this show  :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I found this cute/charming, interesting, and occasionally lightly amusing. Since it's Firefly related I'll put it here. 😛

Sort of like the first parts of this clip

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Amentep said:

being faithful to source material is not always a positive. 

is worth noting cowboy bebop is one o' the few anime series we genuine like, though am admitting a few select episodes were kinda terrible. as such, particular given the casting, we were looking forward to this tv adaptation. unfortunate, am now anticipating in the same way is near impossible to look away from an impending car crash. 

am knowing some folks are gonna love this no matter what, but the trailer comes across more like an effort to mock cowboy bebop than to sell it. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

I've not watched any of Cowboy Bebop so can't judge fidelity to the source material, but I thought it was a fun trailer.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

After I saw and loved Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop was an anime lots told me I should watch. Wasn't my thing or something, didn't watch it very far. That said, I did mean to give it another, longer chance, but like with many things never got around to it.  That trailer is at least a little amusing and John Cho is usually decent.

...I wonder if Netflix would do a live-action Champloo. I'd guess it's not avant-garde (or whatever) enough.  Then again, since I loved that anime, I probably wouldn't want them to, I'll just stick to my blu-ray of the anime. I also have never figured out any current actor who I might see/like as Jin. Mugen would be a little easier.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2