The TV and Streaming Thread: Series 5

Amentep

53 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

After I saw and loved Samurai Champloo

I've seen an episode of this and thought it was pretty decent-seeming and planned on eventually watching some more, guess I'll take that as a recommendation from you to continue it, :p.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

4 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I've seen an episode of this and thought it was pretty decent-seeming and planned on eventually watching some more, guess I'll take that as a recommendation from you to continue it, :p.

I recommend it too. 😶

• Like 3

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

19 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Indeed, when you find the time, do a pre-screening, I'll remain sceptical until then. :yes:

• Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Well that's three recommendations so I'll watch Samurai Champloo.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

9 hours ago, Amentep said:

I haven't seen the anime in years, but I could swear it was not in a style like that?

• Hmmm 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I didn't like this Cowboy Bebop teaser, but I'll judge the show when I watch it. Not on November 19 though, since I'll be watching The Wheel of Time and The Expanse on that day.

40 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Well that's three recommendations so I'll watch Samurai Champloo.

Same here. After I finish Legend of Galactic Heroes.

And Jojo.

So... maybe next year?

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

Samurai Champloo has a pretty sick soundtrack. Also I really liked the historical vs. modern style mix of the show.

really gets me vibin'

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

29 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

So... maybe next year?

Before you play WotR then.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Samurai Champloo has the same director of Cowboy Bebop, for anyone unaware - it was the next anime series he did after Cowboy. You can see a similarity in chr. animation style and other aspects here and there. Likely why ppl told me to try Cowboy.  Champloo fit my personal tastes 200% more, is all.

6 hours ago, Lexx said:

Samurai Champloo has a pretty sick soundtrack. Also I really liked the historical vs. modern style mix of the show.

I really like the soundtrack they used during some action scenes, one in particular. And yeah, the overall sound/music mixture was interesting.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Death_(2021_TV_series)

This is a series you cannot miss, its based on a true story about a neurosurgeon who butchers patients through his own arrogance and incompetence

His crimes occurred mostly in Texas and the show also highlights the structural problems and bureaucracy within the US healthcare system. Here is another link that discusses the veracity of this gripping series 

https://time.com/6080714/dr-death-true-story/

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Zoraptor said:

That news is a month old- apparently he's not in the last two episodes of S1 either though I'm not sure if that's confirmed or rumour.

Guess at least there's a potential reasonable in universe explanation for Mat's appearance changing.

Was it mentioned here? I didn't catch it.

Maybe they change that event a little to explain it.

I think it was mentioned here, but not sure, and can't be bothered checking. I'm only really following the TV series by diffusion rather than deliberately so I kind of presume most of the stuff I hear comes from here. OTOH, pretty sure Mat not being in the last two episodes did come from elsewhere, so...

(I am interested enough to at least do a re-read. I'd read up to book 6 multiple times, but can't remember reading the later ones more than once. Having read a few random chapters from those later books my recollection of the later series' timeline is not great, though I remember most of the actual events OK)

4 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

I mentioned it here.

The actor who will play the character from season 2 seems to be good, but despite how they explain it, it will never look good.

Then I definitely missed it.

8 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

(I am interested enough to at least do a re-read. I'd read up to book 6 multiple times, but can't remember reading the later ones more than once. Having read a few random chapters from those later books my recollection of the later series' timeline is not great, though I remember most of the actual events OK)

I kind of want to do it too, but on the other hand I like reading them when I have the whole day free so I can read without interruptions.

7 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Someone should have warned me how boring the Dune movie is.

The new one ? Did you find it boring, I havent watched it yet but Im very excited 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

59 minutes ago, melkathi said:

It's pretty faithful to the books. What did you find boring about it?

2 hours ago, melkathi said:

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

It's pretty faithful to the books. 

Explains it.

😉

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The new Dune movie goes through a checklist of things.

Caladan - check

Gomjabbar - check

Arakeen - check

Shadout Mapes - check

etc

It is all in grand photography, but the scenes lack content, lack soul. As if someone read the letters of the book but did not make out the words. To distract from this the audience is bombarded with Paul's visions again and again. As a result the Kwisatz Haderach plot drowns out everything else that is happening. Thus Paul's character growth and messianic role end up rushed, as he is robbed of the other experiences.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).