The TV and Streaming Thread: Series 5

Amentep

8 minutes ago, melkathi said:

The new Dune movie goes through a checklist of things.

Caladan - check

Gomjabbar - check

Arakeen - check

Shadout Mapes - check

etc

It is all in grand photography, but the scenes lack content, lack soul. As if someone read the letters of the book but did not make out the words. To distract from this the audience is bombarded with Paul's visions again and again. As a result the Kwisatz Haderach plot drowns out everything else that is happening. Thus Paul's character growth and messianic role end up rushed, as he is robbed of the other experiences.

That is in line with what I've heard (sifting through new Dune fans zealously gushing is annoying).  That and it's empty, as if the world is just the relevant characters and no one else. 

2 hours ago, Amentep said:

Explains it.

😉

Well, hopefully you found it boring for reasons other than "no action scenes". Still recall Herbert or Anderson faffing on about how the original books needed action - "they blew Arrakis and that was off screen". Pft.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

30 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Well, hopefully you found it boring for reasons other than "no action scenes". Still recall Herbert or Anderson faffing on about how the original books needed action - "they blew Arrakis and that was off screen". Pft.

Dune's one of the few books I've started and never been able to finish.   I think I just don't connect with Herbert's prose, ultimately, but I just couldn't get into it, any of the times I've tried.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

The new Dune movie goes through a checklist of things.

Caladan - check

Gomjabbar - check

Arakeen - check

Shadout Mapes - check

etc

It is all in grand photography, but the scenes lack content, lack soul. As if someone read the letters of the book but did not make out the words. To distract from this the audience is bombarded with Paul's visions again and again. As a result the Kwisatz Haderach plot drowns out everything else that is happening. Thus Paul's character growth and messianic role end up rushed, as he is robbed of the other experiences.

Basically how I felt. It's all very dour too.

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Dune's one of the few books I've started and never been able to finish.   I think I just don't connect with Herbert's prose, ultimately, but I just couldn't get into it, any of the times I've tried.

Fair enough.  Just hope you don't like Joyce. 😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just now, Malcador said:

Fair enough.  Just hope you don't like Joyce. 😛

Never tried to read any of his works. 😄

The densest prose I've read and liked was from Herman Melville, so...:shrugz:

Someday I'm going to come back to Dune and try to read it again, but right now my reading time is so limited so it'll have to keep (ditto anymore Melville).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Think the worst prose I had to deal with was Joyce and maybe Jack London's Sea Wolf.  Hardest read was Clausewitz though.

Never read him either - I'm not super familiar with him either, since I haven't really delved into military history (assuming a bit that we're talking about Carl von Clausewitz), I've heard in passing of Vom Krieg - is that's what you read?

7 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Never read him either - I'm not super familiar with him either, since I haven't really delved into military history (assuming a bit that we're talking about Carl von Clausewitz), I've heard in passing of Vom Krieg - is that's what you read?

Yah, On War. I still have it here somewhere, I keep it around to look sophisticated...to myself, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, the_dog_days said:

Ya'll have clearly never been alpha reader for a high school creative writing class if those are the worst prose you've read.

I didn't say worst, just the densest prose.  You could cut it with a metaphorical knife.

I remember my college English 101 professor claiming that when we wrote papers for class, he'd sit down and ty to grade our papers fairly.  Then any he couldn't read he gave to his neighbor's kid to read and grade, and after that he'd take any essays the neighbor's kid couldn't read and sit down with a bottle of wine to read and grade them. 😄 

I never had to read student prose, but I did at one point have to record professors ratings for some essays for a few years (it was a standardized essay prompt that was graded by three readers; the faculty would convene in a room to read and grade them and I kept track of which were graded and which needed another reader) and while I wasn't a grader, I did see some of the essays that were written.  And of course, read all the creative writings done in the creative writing classes I took as we all had to critique them.

Oh yeah, ObTV:

The US adaption of the UK Ghosts series is kind of a cute fun comedy.

On 10/18/2021 at 4:27 AM, LadyCrimson said:

If you end up liking that series, I'd also recommend One Spring Night, also on Netflix. A couple other possibles:  Chocolate and My First First Love (sappy title but...)

And yeah, a lot of k-dramas on the lighter or heavier romantic side sometimes have a lot of their version of slapstick (sometimes hilarious, but sometimes cringe), either as main or some side character subplots. Some of them are an oddball mixture of slapstick, romance, and super tragic circumstances or a serial killer plot all in the same 16 episodes. >.>  Farther back in time you go, the more "teen comic book or soap-opera melodrama" you may encounter (Boys Over Flowers is infamous in this regard) and their tv cinematography will look cheaper and rougher looking.  K-drama's have evolved a lot in the past 10-12 years.

Finished Because This Is My First Life and I think it was pretty nice. The ending had me rolling my eyes again (with suddenly his old girlfriend showing up), but at least it wasn't as crazy as all the unbelievable connections in Her Private Life.

I will check out One Spring Night next, I guess.

One thing that made me wonder is ... do really all the houses have electronic locks / keypads or is that just a movie thing? Going by what I see in the shows, it feels like South Korea is like 30 years ahead of Germany when it comes to technology. 😄

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

21 hours ago, Lexx said:

The ending had me rolling my eyes again

Like series from the world over, k-drama's still often have trouble with sticking the landing, so to speak. Plus plot or conflict contrivances can be frequent - how much I overlook such all depends how much I like main/side characters or general mood and presentation. I often like those things better vs. modern US series.

And while I don't live there, I've heard that yes, electronic locks/keypads is pretty common for a while, maybe particularly for apartments. Not 100% or anything, but common enough.

If you're interested in something less totally singular relationship-centric:  Hospital Playlist is pretty popular, but I only watched a few episodes. It's an ensemble cast type of series (bunch of long-time friends who are all doctors or hospital employees), a great well-known cast/chr. stories, but sometimes ensemble cast is too many "stories" for me. It seemed solid tho.

Anyway, once you find some actors/actresses you like just look them up and try watching some of their other series. :)

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I watched “night teeth“ on Netflix last night. It was pretty good. Or at least those two vampire girls were pretty freaking hot together. definitely worth two hours of your time. After all of his acting work I imagine Alfie Allen is going to have a negative association with knives. 😆

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Watched Dune. Movie is way too short. How long am I supposed to wait for part 2? 4 years? Ducking hell. They should have filmed this back-to-back like Lord of the Rings and stuff.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I watched “night teeth“ on Netflix last night. It was pretty good. Or at least those two vampire girls were pretty freaking hot together. definitely worth two hours of your time. After all of his acting work I imagine Alfie Allen is going to have a negative association with knives. 😆

is this bruce? did you kidnap gd and hijack his account? 

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

HA! Good Fun!

If his post had had a question mark, we could've known for sure ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 hours ago, Gromnir said:

HA! Good Fun!

You always funny Gromnir, but you agree all must watch this movie ? It is entertaining, and their are hot vampires, surly that's great :teehee:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Instead of watching sexy vampire ladies, I watched a geriatric man slaughter tons of people over the course of a few hours while John Carpenter synth music played in the background. I'd say Halloween Kills is not as good as Halloween (2018), and really middle of the road tbh.

5 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I guess for Halloween,  everyone is going as Bruce...

I'm going as Femto.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

7 hours ago, Gromnir said:

HA! Good Fun!

GD has a new girlfriend now... The universe no longer universally sucks ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The movie was just "pretty good". Lucy Fry and Debby Ryan made it worth watching. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell