Cyberpunk 2077 continuing discussion

Amentep

2 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Wasn't the game a net loss for them?

Doesn't seem like it - https://screenrant.com/cyberpunk-2077-budget-cost-development-cd-project-red/

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

47 minutes ago, Sarex said:

But it's not only the initial budget and refunds, it's also the bug fixing and development after the release.

Normally that should already be in the initial / early budget calculations. E.g. they are dedicating x amount of money for y amount of support time after release.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

But it's not only the initial budget and refunds, it's also the bug fixing and development after the release.

Yah, true. But they've still been selling it well enough, Edgerunners must have given them a little bit of a boost as well perhaps ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 10/3/2022 at 10:11 PM, majestic said:

The best ending is where

Reveal hidden contents

V just blows his/her brains out. The talk with Johnny prior is absolutely fantastic, and the voice mails are hilarious and tragic at the same time.

Not sure what was so bad about the Arasaka ending, other than it being even more tragic than the others. Sort of.

It's not a badly written ending, but it's very gloomy.

Spoiler

The way V distances themself from all characters met in the game is pretty bleak. Absolutely fitting for the path you went down to get there, but may not be what you want for your character. Contrast it with the nomad ending where you get to go on a roadtrip with both Pan-AM and a potenrial other love interest. You're still dying, but at least there's hope and if nothing else a feeling of going out on your own terms.

In the end I guess it depends on how much you care about the other characters in the game. But I can see how getting the Arasaka ending could be less fulfilling. Although if you pick that path, it's also kinda well deserved.

I just blew everything up. Didn't even do stealth. Just murdered my way to the bottom.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

With Rogue. Later I found out there is a suicide-option as well, but didn't really want to play with female V anymore. Started new game with male V and so far I think the voice is much more fitting.

7 hours ago, Lexx said:

I just blew everything up. Didn't even do stealth. Just murdered my way to the bottom.

Wait, people try do that stealthily ?

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

With Rogue. Later I found out there is a suicide-option as well, but didn't really want to play with female V anymore. Started new game with male V and so far I think the voice is much more fitting.

The suicide option you have to pick right before deciding on what you want to do. If you have a save, that's over really quickly. No need to play.

I did the hidden ending once and picked the Temperance ending at that point because it was what was still open. What a glorious waste of time that was. :p

Spoiler

It's the only way Rogue survives the Sun ending, which matters f*ck all if you give your body to Johnny.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

On 10/3/2022 at 9:25 PM, Spider said:

I suppose that can depend on which ending you get. Nomad ending was pretty bittersweet, but I would personally have hated the bad corporate ending. As is I was pretty satisfied. I just wish the dlc would continue where the nomad ending left off ;)

They could revisit V in the next game, I wouldn't mind that.

On 10/3/2022 at 10:11 PM, majestic said:

The best ending is where

Reveal hidden contents

V just blows his/her brains out. The talk with Johnny prior is absolutely fantastic, and the voice mails are hilarious and tragic at the same time.

Not sure what was so bad about the Arasaka ending, other than it being even more tragic than the others. Sort of.

Lots of people wanted a more happy ending. One thing that does annoy me about most of them is that they are basically a set up for future content, barring one (or two, depending on how you count) ending they are all fairly open ended in a way and leave CDPR the option of bringing V back.

Now I wouldn't really mind that necessarily, but given that there's only going to be one DLC the thread of V's story is likely to be left where it's at.

On 10/4/2022 at 12:09 AM, Theonlygarby said:

I got the in space ending... I hated it.  It might not be the "worst" ending but it definitely made me feel nothing

Heh, try having that one while

Spoiler

romancing Judy. Ooof, that hurt.

On 10/4/2022 at 6:02 PM, Hurlshort said:

It just crossed the 20 million sold mark. I don't think refunds were as big a problem as reported. 

Weren't the numbers of refunds stated during some investor call or leaked at least for Steam or something? From what I recall there weren't all that many and I would be entirely unsurprised if most of them were on last gen (where they never should've released the game, most of the really harsh criticism came from that direction)

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 2

That's neat marketing.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my Cyberpunk2077 playthrough.

As I see it the game is unfinished - and I don't mean bugs etc. I had very playable experience, tough the game is very junky in both gameplay and presentation. It seems to me like CDPR developed very few possible interactions for this game - missions objectives are very repetitive and the game is incapable of utilising the open world map. I can think of very few car chases, and those that are there are very uninteractive - that is my repeating complaint with the game. So much of the game is just passively following the dotted line, and always FPS view makes the "cutscenes" very uninteresting to watch.

Story is a mess - again, feels like it needed some rewrites and a lot of fleshing out. There are story beats, factions, and characters with potential, but it's all very rough. There are moments where the game comes back to life the way Witcher games did, but those are few. I feel there is a lot of texture missing - like how life in night city actually looks like. Characters state their view points a lot (Johnny especially) but those are never explored. For example, I still don't know why Arasaka is so evil, or even what it is they do, outside brain copying mumbo jumbo. I feel that for that is a painful omition for the game's main antagonist. Perhaps it's explained in one of the myriad lore books, but I missed it. It doesn't help that V is a bland protagonist, with only basic motivations. Without interesting choices to make he isn't little more then the cameramen - the emotional weight lies on other NPCs, and unfortunately, most of the time we spend alone. I mean there is Johny, but I found him to be all over the place. I like the intention for his development, but he lacked.... well, development. With most of the story not being about him, he is sidelined being as ****, until he suddenly gets a change or a heart. I also didn't like dives into his memories, which felt like lore dumps with ****. I think I would prefer if he wasn't Keanu. I never stopped finding his likeness distracting, and his monotone voice - I mean I like Keanu, but acting has never been his strong suit. Oddly enough I don't mind actor's liknesses in Death Stranding - I think partially because they seem to get to act there. While Cyberpunk can have some impressive character and facial animations. but not for Johny.

Easily my least favourite CDPR game - while rough Witcher1&2 had some really special ideas and ambitious in them. I don't think I can say the same about Cyberpunk. It would be forgettable, if not for it being a game that CDPR made after Witcher3.

4 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Finished my Cyberpunk2077 playthrough.

As I see it the game is unfinished - and I don't mean bugs etc. I had very playable experience, tough the game is very junky in both gameplay and presentation. It seems to me like CDPR developed very few possible interactions for this game - missions objectives are very repetitive and the game is incapable of utilising the open world map. I can think of very few car chases, and those that are there are very uninteractive - that is my repeating complaint with the game. So much of the game is just passively following the dotted line, and always FPS view makes the "cutscenes" very uninteresting to watch.

Story is a mess - again, feels like it needed some rewrites and a lot of fleshing out. There are story beats, factions, and characters with potential, but it's all very rough. There are moments where the game comes back to life the way Witcher games did, but those are few. I feel there is a lot of texture missing - like how life in night city actually looks like. Characters state their view points a lot (Johnny especially) but those are never explored. For example, I still don't know why Arasaka is so evil, or even what it is they do, outside brain copying mumbo jumbo. I feel that for that is a painful omition for the game's main antagonist. Perhaps it's explained in one of the myriad lore books, but I missed it. It doesn't help that V is a bland protagonist, with only basic motivations. Without interesting choices to make he isn't little more then the cameramen - the emotional weight lies on other NPCs, and unfortunately, most of the time we spend alone. I mean there is Johny, but I found him to be all over the place. I like the intention for his development, but he lacked.... well, development. With most of the story not being about him, he is sidelined being as ****, until he suddenly gets a change or a heart. I also didn't like dives into his memories, which felt like lore dumps with ****. I think I would prefer if he wasn't Keanu. I never stopped finding his likeness distracting, and his monotone voice - I mean I like Keanu, but acting has never been his strong suit. Oddly enough I don't mind actor's liknesses in Death Stranding - I think partially because they seem to get to act there. While Cyberpunk can have some impressive character and facial animations. but not for Johny.

Easily my least favourite CDPR game - while rough Witcher1&2 had some really special ideas and ambitious in them. I don't think I can say the same about Cyberpunk. It would be forgettable, if not for it being a game that CDPR made after Witcher3.

main story are pure nonsense on the scifi side

personal drama of npcs are introduced very awkwardly but have some good moment

would be nice to have more quest like the heist but it was obvious some of the developer ambition are too impractical and cut back

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Wormerine said:

So much of the game is just passively following the dotted line

Well, that's also Witcher 3 in a nutshell. 😄

5 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Well, that's also Witcher 3 in a nutshell. 😄

True, same as Red Dead and some other games. It is a bit more damning for C77 though, who attempts more player agency here and there. I was more frustrated by game sending me mixed signals then anything.
By browsing the internet I have learned there is a classic Deus Ex touch, like being able to save one NPC during the Asaka raid, but with how restrictive C77 has been I feel really cheated by this being an u specified option. I even tried to go back with my super legs during the playthrough and thought there was some invisible wall to prevent me from doing it - might be just game’s junk getting in the way. 

both witcher 3 and cyberpunk have very little impactful choice in narrative

cyberpunk might have more choice in ending

but nothing compare to the detective mess in witcher 1

most likely developer learned the burden of actual choice and steer away from it after witcher 2

similar to mass effect

Thing is, most people will only play the game once and never again. And Witcher 2 branched off after mid-game into two completely different games, which is pretty crazy. There's a whole 3rd act that the majority of players likely never saw.

So yeah.. tl;dr - they likely found it to be too costly and not worth doing again.

• 4 weeks later...

With the 1.61 patch out, I finally decided to jump in. The game STILL has some minor graphical bugs, are we absolutely sure this wasn't made by Bethesda?:shifty: Beyond that, I'm really enjoying it so far. I went corpo, which helped immensely with The Heist and I'm stealthing as much of the game as possible, as I am wont to do. I racked up some good ninjutsu points during the escape as I used stealth takedown on everybody with the help of some save scumming. I'm going mainly cool and reflexes so far.

Side note: Props to CDPR for having a wardrobe function so that you can change your outfit independent of gear stats. They absolutely didn't have to do that in a 1st person game, but they did. That should be in every single 3rd person game ever.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

Doesn't seem to be that big of an update.

It was mainly a console-centric update. It introduced FSR 2.1 on consoles, allowing for greater visual fidelity while hitting the 30 FPS target for ray tracing mode and 60 FPS for performance mode on PS5 and xXxBOxXx.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm really glad I waited to jump in. Instead of living through the $#!+storm that was Cyberpunk's less than stellar launch, I got to watch it from afar and enjoy the schadenfreude and chaos.

ezgif.com-gif-maker-43.gif

I jumped in after the 1.61 update and I have to say that the game is quite fun. I'm already planning out some things I'm going to do differently on a second playthrough. For one, I think I'll go heavy into strength and get gorilla arms and just run up to people and punch them. Exploding heads with my sniper rifle is pretty great, though. I'll probably also make my second character male so that I can hook up with Panam.

As an aside, I thoroughly enjoy the driving physics in the game. For a non-racing game, I think the driving is really well done. It's way better than Watch_Dogs and Saints Row and at least as good as GTA driving. I particularly like motorcycles. I keep it in 1st person view when on a bike and powerslide around corners. Good times! I very rarely use fast travel to get around, which is a hallmark of a game with fun traversal mechanics.

The game does feel too easy on standard difficulty, I'll probably go up a notch on my second playthrough.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸