Cyberpunk 2077 continuing discussion

Amentep

The weapon item system is kinda annoying. Gives me serious Mass Effect 1 flashbacks, where you would swap your weapon every 10 minutes for a new gun that deals +1 more DPS. I've upgraded a couple of my weapons, but what's the point if I soon find some random weapon from a thug that deals at least as much or even more damage.

That said, I just found a super fat revolver and now that's what I'm going to use. Revolver + Katana, makes sense to me. Slash slash, boom boom.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

The weapon item system is kinda annoying. Gives me serious Mass Effect 1 flashbacks, where you would swap your weapon every 10 minutes for a new gun that deals +1 more DPS. I've upgraded a couple of my weapons, but what's the point if I soon find some random game of a thug that deals at least as much or even more damage.

That said, I just found a super fat revolver and now that's what I'm going to use. Revolver + Katana, makes sense to me. Slash slash, boom boom.

Edited by uuuhhii
pistol are pretty much the best and most convenient weapon

I decided to download this mod to amp up the Malorian Arms 3516's damage and crit chance to be more in line with other end-game handguns, as maxed out it's decidedly less impressive than even a Legendary Overture. Plus the reload animations for that weapon are too good to pass up.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

That's Johnny's gun, right? It's indeed super cool, but I'm not sure if I can give up that fat revolver.

PS: I got that double jump implant. Totally worth it.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

That's Johnny's gun, right? It's indeed super cool, but I'm not sure if I can give up that fat revolver.

PS: I got that double jump implant. Totally worth it.

Johnny's gun is both a power and a tech weapon. When aiming down the sights, it shoots through obstacles. In 1.5 it was bugged so any sort of time dilation effect prevented the weapon from shooting through obstacles when aiming, I wonder if that is still the case in 1.6, but probably. I expect this to be some sort of limitation, a secret buff that gets overriden or something like that. :)

Double jump is indeed the best thing you can get, and you won't accidentially kill yourself with it. Unlike with the higher jump implants.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Have to vent. Gotta address this now. No other choice.

Why is everyone speaking so weird? Is there no "I" and "you" in this universe? Not sure how the male voice holds up, but female V can't even deliver the lines well more often than I'd like to. That's not the fault of the VO, it's just that every other dialog is so pretentiously written. Maybe it works with a grump old dude as a character, but my female V just feels off. This is not how people speak.

Edited by Lexx

I don't mind that stuff at all. Issue is the actual people that don't talk like people. Primarily the player character. There's often lines where I'm like... this would sound so much better with personal pronouns included.

Edited by Lexx

The only dialogue that sounded unnatural was Panam & Saul, but that's just because the natural way is so poor.  That said, "nova" and "preem" get my teeth on edge a bit

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

eddies are eurodollars, it does not seems weird to me...

• Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

On 9/25/2022 at 6:16 AM, Lexx said:

The weapon item system is kinda annoying. Gives me serious Mass Effect 1 flashbacks, where you would swap your weapon every 10 minutes for a new gun that deals +1 more DPS. I've upgraded a couple of my weapons, but what's the point if I soon find some random weapon from a thug that deals at least as much or even more damage.

This is a problem in so many games too.  Maybe "leveled" guns is the problem.  I remember outer world weapon system being similar.  You could upgrade them but generally you would have to spend insane amounts of money to make a rare gun useful.

watched the show and I am pumped to play again but I fear I would get burned too fast so I will wait for the DLC

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I just have to say, that if I see "eddies" spelled out I think of water/fluid (eddies and currents). Associating that word with currency instead is weird. 😛

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

7 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

This is a problem in so many games too.  Maybe "leveled" guns is the problem.  I remember outer world weapon system being similar.  You could upgrade them but generally you would have to spend insane amounts of money to make a rare gun useful.

This is one of the foibles of Cyberpunk 2077's design that I found most perplexing. When using the crafting system to upgrade your weapons and clothing the materials required went off of when you acquired them, and _not_ their item level. This would discourage upgrading relatively low-level items that would carry you through the early game and instead incentivise constantly cashing out equipment as you leveled up.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

The way I see it, the upgrade system is completely pointless up until you reach endgame. There's been a couple weapons that I upgraded a bit over time, but I always found a better weapon somewhat soon after, which means I just wasted materials for pointless upgrades. It's even worse if you find some rare or iconic weapon that requires special materials to upgrade (and that stuff can cost a lot of money).

Alternatively ... don't upgrade anything until you get stuck in some fight. Then you can spend materials on your main weapon to pump the DPS a bit and hope for the best when repeating the fight.

Also I think the lethal/non-lethal system is kinda buggy. I've installed mods on one of my SMGs that apparently turns it non-lethal... but it doesn't work. The people I shoot with it still seem to be dying. The only option I have for non-lethal takedowns right now is to shoot the enemies until they have very low hitpoints and then punch them with my fists for the last bits.

Yeah, if you invest a bit in Tech and some perks dismantling everything and just crafting gear over and over again works much better than upgrading. Neither crafting nor upgrading is really necessary, not even on very hard though. Just use whatever enemies drop and you're good. Still, being able to craft legendary iconic weaponry at level can give you fun guns to play with for the entire game, like the Shingen Mark V.

3 hours ago, Lexx said:

Also I think the lethal/non-lethal system is kinda buggy. I've installed mods on one of my SMGs that apparently turns it non-lethal... but it doesn't work. The people I shoot with it still seem to be dying. The only option I have for non-lethal takedowns right now is to shoot the enemies until they have very low hitpoints and then punch them with my fists for the last bits.

If you're using any quickhacks at all you need to be careful, some of them have secondary effects that destroy implants and cause real damage. Using Cyberware Malfunction on a psycho and punching them will result in their death one or two seconds after they go down, and Regina will complain your ear off.

Hm good to know. Truth told, I didn't even know how to take down the guys for Regina in a non-lethal way until at some point I accidentally stumbled over the weapons mods. I'm not really in the mood to revert to punching people with my fist when all my skills/perks are pumped into revolvers.

Go buy the legendary Gorilla Arms, you'll need them for the boxing subquests anyway, unless you want to skip them. Don't need no perks or anything to punch someone's light out with those. :p