Coronavirus: Continuing Vigilance

Amentep

2 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

The ChiComs are just using this to commit white genocide.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I liked Zoraptor's response to Elerond, whom I take at face value, but more insidious about the idea that 'the vaccine is almost here, be patient' is that it creates a moving goalpost.  Unscrupulous people will use the vaccine promise as a way to further their own ends.  It may be that we're finally putting in enough resources that we'll get a vaccine in record time, but even the most ridiculously optimistic outlook would put widespread availability several months in the future.  The stay at home measures won't last that long.  Probably not expressing myself very clearly at this point.  My work/school schedule is a real bitch on Monday and Tuesday.  Sleep is for the weak.

"Not for the sake of much time..."

3 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Im happy but surprised Canada has agreed to live trials, I always admire people who are prepared to sacrifice themselves for the greater good 

I can guarantee you Volo will volunteer for this, I cant believe he would allow China and  any of  his fellow citizens to be part of saving the world without his own contribution?

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Majority of remote workers are more productive and communicative

Exactly what we have been discussing at work. Offices are an expense whose value is questionable. 

However, being an employee of the state I've found there is great resistance to change and small incentive to improve the value the taxpayers receive for the money that is stolen from them. 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

10 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Exactly what we have been discussing at work. Offices are an expense whose value is questionable. 

However, being an employee of the state I've found there is great resistance to change and small incentive to improve the value the taxpayers receive for the money that is stolen from them. 

Curious.  Every libertarian I know seems to scorn government employees.  This is not meant as an attack it's meant as an adult-like analysis on the libertarian psyche.  Is it a sign of maturity for them to accept federal/state employment and try to combat what they claim to hate about the Fed and improve things or is it just an massive contradiction?

10 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

It's not unique to the public sector, my private sector firm is the same way.  BS jobs are in all sectors.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Violence aside (which isn't cool), forcing people to wear face masks isn't. I remember when the 'health experts' claimed that face masks weren't necessary now some places are legallu enforcing them. Not required here yet we aren't as fubarred as the US.  Then again, the US hasn't had a mass shooting like we did during COVID-19 so good on them for that.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

12 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Seems here too that the only overall group that dislikes work from home is the most essential one- middle managers, of course. They also seem to be the ones obsessed with having long and pointless Zoom meetings instead of long and pointless face to face meetings.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Curious.  Every libertarian I know seems to scorn government employees.  This is not meant as an attack it's meant as an adult-like analysis on the libertarian psyche.  Is it a sign of maturity for them to accept federal/state employment and try to combat what they claim to hate about the Fed and improve things or is it just an massive contradiction?

:lol: A little of both! I was running my own business with other partners a few years ago. We received a buyout offer from a competitor and the vote was 5-2 to take it. Since I was the design engineer, implementations engineer, director of operations, vice president of supply chain & logistics, warehouse manager, and installation team supervisor and a few other hats as well, the new company retained me on a 1 year contract to consult. After that it was a quick handshake and "the door is right over there". I found myself out of work. With a nice sum of money in the bank true... but still unemployed. 

I sent a resume to the TDEC in response to an opening I saw on their website. Two interviews later I landed this job. Somehow. But working in a state job has only hardened my anti-government ideas. Tennessee is pretty frugal compared to some states but it still wastes tax money like it was a bodily function. But a big part of my job is saving the state money so I like to think I'm helping a little bit. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

15 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Seems here too that the only overall group that dislikes work from home is the most essential one- middle managers, of course. They also seem to be the ones obsessed with having long and pointless Zoom meetings instead of long and pointless face to face meetings.

How can you be a king/queen if you don't hold court?

Thomas Sowell

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Have to say I do like the analogy:

Yeah, I also like how Warp Speed means that it would take hundreds of years of Earth time for a ship to get anywhere, while they'd arrive in days of ship time. "The project will be complete in just a few months"... (in government time).

11D chess alright.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I personally dislike the mask idea.  One time use masks for short periods of time?  Sure.  Making people wear fabric over their faces for extended periods of time?  Not for it at all.  I firmly believe, in the long term, the science will show that it did very little to help or even hurt.  It would be incremental either way and I don't believe much of an increment.  That said, there are studies with opposing conclusions right now and I don't have time to wade through them all.  I mean, I have an 'essential' job and I have a full time school load.  lol  All that said, I follow the rules.  I mean, if things got too crazy, I would literally protest, but I'd follow the guidelines while I did it.

Frankly, rather than worry about face masks and fomites, I'd simply provide more places for people to handwash.  Hell, make it part of new building design.  lol  I joke about the NCLEX.  If there's a question with a possible answer of "wash your hands," it's the right answer.  I only have a year and a half or so before the nurse practitioner boards, but I'm assuming the same strategy that served me so well for my license will come in just as handy.

• Like 1

"Not for the sake of much time..."

So car crash deaths have risen during the pandemic, despite car crashes and traffic in general decreasing. Why? Because people are stupid and see open roads as an excuse to drive like a moron. I am so ready for automated cars. 

My running partner and I were run off the road on Thursday. It was some old guy in a little sports car. We were running on a little country back road with very little shoulder or sidewalk. We were running with the traffic because the shoulder is a bit wider on that side, but we were still out in the lane a bit. He had plenty of room to pass though, and there were no cars coming in the opposite direction, so he could easily move over and share the lane. Instead he honked right before he came up on us and nearly clipped my partner. Then he actually stopped at the stop sign about 30 yards ahead and waited for us to catch up! He just glared at us, it was super weird. I don't know what his deal was. I'm not sure what he was trying to prove. Cars will always beat runners and cyclists, it's not a competition. Relax and try to remember you are driving around a massive and dangerous potential weapon. 

We were able to restrain ourselves from kicking his door in. I assume he thought we were a couple punk kids, and not two grown men in their 40's. Strange days, I've had this happen on my bike a number of times, but rare when running. On the bright side, it gave me some motivation to climb the steep grade were were headed towards. :p

Some people are just ****. Crotch rockets and douche cars as coping mechanisms for mid life crises just tend to accentuate that.

I've always been told to run against traffic if possible, though.

And we won't get automated cars until the factories are running again, just saying...

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

You should run while open carrying. No way he's glaring at you when you're strapped.

• Thanks 1

Hmm...there should be a water bottle holder that looks like a holster. That might help curtail this stuff. I could also have a tire pump that looks like a shotgun hanging off my bike. This might be an untapped market. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I assume he thought we were a couple punk kids, and not two grown men in their 40's.

Those are not necessarily mutually exclusive 😛

Getting bored. Like, boooored. Really, really, BOOORED! Dammit

Good thing i managed to move interstate just in time for everything to close down, depriving of some of those things I had been looking forward to do 😂

Ah well, Australia Zoo will open again some day. Hopefully the animals are thriving with a gawking audience in the meantime.

If you're not from here and you ever get to visit Queensland, I can recommend it. The animals actually have lots of space and room to live.

Edit: I used to have an annual pass to the place. Might get that again. Also on the todo list, a membership of the 24/7 gym next door to my place once they reopen 😖

https://www.australiazoo.com.au/

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

New Zealand's government handling of the covid19 crisis has managed a 92% (!) approval rating in a poll released today. I'm not sure I've ever seen an approval rating that high for anything else here.

Damn, that's some Putin numbers! 😄

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken