Baldur's Gate 3 - the 2nd thread

Amentep

Jan is an exception.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 minutes ago, Judicator said:

What's wrong with you?

Anomen, Aria were quite bad, others were ok

• Thanks 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

8 hours ago, KaineParker said:

Jan is an exception.

You know, this reminds me of that time... way back...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Judicator said:

This isn't Game of Thrones.

Aerie, sorry!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I am very excited about BG3, BG2 ToB is my favorite RPG of all time so this game is going to be a definite purchase for me

Do we know if there will be Romance, there should be if Larian Studios wants to be true to original general themes of previous games. My  concern is Larian Studios is not known for Romance so I am not sure how immersive and worthwhile any Romance arcs would be ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

oh boi, here we go again

Truth be told, I'm not a fan of romances, regardless of the game in question.

I mean, they may be very well written and genuinely compelling, but I feel like the moment romance becomes an in-game institution, it somehow tends to violently hijack and derail everything else.

Maybe it's because it attracts a certain type of people. Maybe it's because it's hard to show a complex, realistic relationship in a vidya gaem format. I dunno. All I know is that over time, I have grown to dread the inclusion of romances.

Heck, I'll go one step further: I would never, ever, wish any writer to have to write a romance in a highly anticipated video game. It's a kiss of death for everyone involved.

SNEAKY LATE EDIT: I may have come off as overtly harsh and/or dickish, for which I apologize. I don't hate romances or people who enjoy them. People are free to like things and my ennui on the matter shouldn't mean anything.

Edited by Skazz
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, Gfted1 said:

Aaaaaaand were about 2 posts away from "I dont like romances because they use up zots that could be used for something else". :lol:

I dont like romances because they use up zots that could be used for something else

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Gasp! 1

51 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

oh boi, here we go again

Nah, not really. You see you are correct that we have had this debate many times but its the same  debate around what we define as " important RPG components " that come up all the time like " number of races\classes, spells usage, crafting, instra-travel restrictions " ....the list goes on and on in many debates.   Romance will never go away as an optional extra because for Romancers it adds to an important and realistic component to interaction with your party members. I like interacting and getting to know my party members, its part of my RP experience and I want to be able to Romance them if I want to ....nothing unusual about that ?

So when we all finally agree that Romance should be a optional player choice  but mandatory component in all RPG,that have party based interaction , only then will the debate end 💕

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

43 minutes ago, Skazz said:

Truth be told, I'm not a fan of romances, regardless of the game in question.

I mean, they may be very well written and genuinely compelling, but I feel like the moment romance becomes an in-game institution, it somehow tends to violently hijack and derail everything else.

Maybe it's because it attracts a certain type of people. Maybe it's because it's hard to show a complex, realistic relationship in a vidya gaem format. I dunno. All I know is that over time, I have grown to dread the inclusion of romances.

Heck, I'll go one step further: I would never, ever, wish any writer to have to write a romance in a highly anticipated video game. It's a kiss of death for everyone involved.

Dont be a hater, in life I learnt that we shouldnt use the lowest possible common denominator of the implementation of something to judge future iterations and models  ...lets be positive :thumbsup:

• Like 1

John Milton 

5 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Dont be a hater, in life I learnt that we shouldnt use the lowest possible common denominator of the implementation of something to judge future iterations and models  ...lets be positive :thumbsup:

Why you hatin' on my boy Skazz, Bruce? :(

In all seriousness, though, I don't mind romance in games. It's a bit of a case by case basis, if the writers feel it's appropriate and they have a good idea for it I'd say "go ahead" - but at the same time it shouldn't be approached as a necessity or expectation, nor should it be forced on players who wish not to partake in it. But to be honest, I love me plenty of RPG romances, be they the ones in Torment, Mask of the Betrayer, Viconia's in Baldur's Gate II, etc. Are they "realistic", as some others have criticized? Well, no, but they're emotionally satisfying and engaging all the same, like a lot of romance films and the likes out there. But, again, if you are going to put a romance in the game, make sure it's interesting, don't just put one in because "there needs to be one" or "there is demand for it".

• Like 3

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

4 minutes ago, algroth said:

Why you hatin' on my boy Skazz, Bruce? :(

Oh I  like Skazz , sorry if I seemed harsh  :)

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

John Milton 

On 3/11/2020 at 9:07 AM, Skazz said:

^ Just to clarify: I don't "hate" romances. I strive to have a "live and let live" approach to things.

At the end of the day, it's just something that is not personally appealing to me, is all.

is an admitted catch-22 for us. 

am willing to accept a game with bioware-style tangential romances just so long as such fare is optional. simultaneous, am recognizing is no possible way to do romance better than has been done as long as such fare is kept optional and tangential. to task writers with creating an entire romance arc which may be completed through a relative small number o' insular and discrete dialogue encounters that do not substantial alter the critical path plot in any meaningful way is not gonna produce anything more profound than we has seen in multiple games. try and think o' a compelling romance from a book, movie or whatever, which coulda' been complete exorcised from the work w/o altering the plot. nevertheless, optional and tangential is what we demand. 

am conceding the manifest unfairness o' our demands and accept the wasted resources. am knowing romances is popular and such will be added to many games we choose to purchase and play. therefore, as long as romances kept optional and tangential, the fundamental irredeemability o' romances is acceptable to us.

best crpg romance: ravel unrequited love for tno.

core. not optional. ravel's romance is developed from ravel's perspective and player choice does not alter it. ravel love for tno is decided not the bioware-style minigame romance. 

skip ahead to 5:25

when Gromnir speaks o' the possibilities o' game romance, we talk o' ravel from ps:t. disappointed resignation: precise 'cause o' the effort which goes into realizing bioware-style romances, the chances o' the ravel approach being used simultaneous in a title is diminished. what a loss.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Reddit AMA.

"We really don’t want to spoil anything but we wouldn’t call it Baldur’s Gate 3 if there wouldn’t be a link. Let me just say that we touch upon the story of BG 1 & 2 in meaningful ways, there are returning characters and what happened in BG 1/2/tob leads to what happens into BG3. You won’t necessarily see that at the start of the adventure but you will quickly understand once you get further into the game."

• Thanks 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Thing with Larian is, you always need to skip their next game.

Divine Divinity -> Beyond Divinity

Divinity 2 -> Dragon Commander

DOS1 -> DOS2

So Baulders Gate 3 may be okay-ish, just don't hold any hopes for Baulders Gate 4.

• Hmmm 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

lol I'm not even holding hope for Baldur's Gate 3. As far as I'm concerned, this all feel fishy like hell to me. 

As for romances. I only liked Jaheira. Females are stuck with Annoymen who is bipolére and childish..yurk. And Aerie is so whiny. yeah sure, best mage, but no earplugs..God!

And viconia aside of her 'beauty' which is so cliché....is a pathalogic liar. Guess disfunctional romances are a thing lol I always though these guys should go to Jerry Springer XD

It be hilarious! 

Jerry: So why are you mad at charname?

Jaheira: *Snort* can't you see ? We though Gorian ward was a man..instead we have a..a female!

Viconia: there goes any sex life on the surface..*Sigh*

Aerie: She can't relate! A man has those broad shoulder, and can lend me his ear and hold me as I tell him Oh why I can't use my powers to go back to my peoples! Because I just want my WINGS back! My wings..My beautiful Wings...They took my Wings..and now I feel Incomplete..and I'm surrounded by idiots that just don't get it, because they were born stuck to the earth! Oh the feel of my wings as I soar...blahblahblahblah...wings...blahlblah..

Viconia: *Disgusted* Shut up already! I'm mad because I can't test the female. In the Underdark females are strong. As far as I saw, they are weak on the surface. Those who almost burned me were all males in robes.

Charname: I SAVED YOU , YOU KNOW! These bewbz walking saved your butt!

Jerry: What about you JAheira? Surely, you can take the woman under your *Sneaker* wing..and teach her things so she can survive Akathla right?

Jaheira: Well...I don't know. Maybe if Imeon die, we may share our sorrow.....

Jerry: Harsh..but true. What about you Sir knight?

Annoymen: *Ogle Charname* She remind me of my sister...

Jerry: Ok..let's stop you right there.......maybe in BG3 there will be decent folk huh?

😁

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller