Baldur's Gate 3 - the 2nd thread

Amentep

I (still) feel like games - especially games where it's not the main story/chr focus - typically are not a great medium for romance. It's usually too perfunctory with not enough build-up or emotional persistence over the entire playthru and thus I feel little resonance/belief to a supposed "romance" - or it's too overtly "let's get nekkid!" (which by itself also has zero resonance with me)  I mean, one day a game may change my mind but I'd guess such would be an exception not a rule even then.

At any rate, doesn't matter to me if there are such options in a game. I know romance is a popular request a lot of the time.  As long as I can ignore it/not go down those paths if I think it's been done terribly. But yeah...I also wouldn't want that job. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

5 hours ago, KaineParker said:

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1086940/view/2781493125012891159

The reactions to this ought to be interesting. 

This reaction in the comments sums it nicely 😄

I sure hope the writing in the game is better than in this update!”

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

On 9/24/2020 at 1:09 AM, KaineParker said:

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1086940/view/2781493125012891159

The reactions to this ought to be interesting. 

This was a good update, I like the way one of the designers says " we building a 3D adventure\story and Romance is part of that " ...thats very true and often a point I have raised around how Romance adds to the realism and immersive reality of most RPG around the interactions you have with your companions 

But the video is mostly  good because it also discusses how your general party interaction between party members will be engaging and nuanced. There looks like some exciting party dynamics await us :sorcerer:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

..thats very true and often a point I have raised around how Romance adds to the realism and immersive reality of most RPG around the interactions you have with your companions 

I think it usually does the complete opposite - making companions feel less like people and more like less convincing Joy. If let’s say complete strangers are kidnapped together and are consumed by parasites dating is probably not in their mind. It is also hilarious how everyone PC recruits is available. PoE1 are some of the more believable, relatable and “immersive” companions I have experience precisely because they feel like they have their own life - our paths just intersect. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

I think it usually does the complete opposite - making companions feel less like people and more like less convincing Joy. If let’s say complete strangers are kidnapped together and are consumed by parasites dating is probably not in their mind. It is also hilarious how everyone PC recruits is available. PoE1 are some of the more believable, relatable and “immersive” companions I have experience precisely because they feel like they have their own life - our paths just intersect. 

Thats  a good video by the way, I havent  seen the new Blade Runner

So I always RP and imagine my character and the party on this epic quest, similar to AD&D/D&D traditional RP so the game is just an important  framework when I think of the choices and decide on the way forward as the adventure unfolds 

Now for me  if I  am  on this quest to literally save the world , face death at every corner and spend months sometimes camped in the wilderness I would definitely connect and build real relationships with my companions on different levels. You then add the unparalleled    beauty and seductive allure of party members like Isabella, Viconia and Morrigen to that relationship mix and Romance is not just likely its expected. Its immersive if you think about what you would be doing during those longs nights around the campfire or tavern after much revelry and drunken debauchery :wub:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-races/

Some pertinent information around races in BG3, it might be old ...sorry about that 8)

John Milton 

• 2 weeks later...

Today's the early access release on Steam.  So all the streamers will be...streaming.

Going to watch CohhCarnage on Twitch for a bit.  The gameplay videos of it I saw on YouTube didn't impress me much - I'm curious if it's changed much.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, at least they got the most important thing right - how long it can take to create the perfect character.  Cohh's been at it for 15 minutes now.  :lol:

cohhbg3-01.jpg

cohhbg3-02.jpg

^ I would've picked similar, too, lol. 
And of course starting ability point distribution.  Looks like some stats 17 is max (vs 18) you can put, but dunno if that's a race or other limit.  And a starting question?  The close ups of chr. creation screen faces are very nice.

Edit:  opening cinematic is pretty cool. Not that = gameplay, but it's a very nice cutscene.  😄

Edited by LadyCrimson

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

Edit:  opening cinematic is pretty cool. Not that = gameplay, but it's a very nice cutscene.

Spoiler

I still don't get how a 1st level character even fits into, let alone survives, the beginning of this story in a crashed nautiloid in Hell surrounded by illithids, red dragon riding githyanki, and demons. Seems entirely far-fetched and unrealistic. But whatever. Seems like the game's not for me anyways.

• Like 2

After watching a couple streams for over an hour I'd say it's visually stunning most of the time - if you can play it on a large-ish 4k screen it's going to rock graphically.  A few animations felt awkward and I don't like the zoom level used during many chr. dialogues because face close ups can get kind of odd in some cases. For one thing they sometimes cut off the top of the head and as a photographer-mindset that just feels weird most of the time.

For turn based I like its free-movement (not grid/hex) but I still don't like it that much as a combat system.  I know many love it for strategic and thinking time but eh not my thing. RT w/P works better for me but whatever, many will love it. :sorcerer:

Anyway, so far my from-watching only:  98% visually gorgeous, the voice acting is largely very well done so far, the music is pretty good, and definitely a lot of thought was put into small things and design so far.  But outside of it being a potentially ok to pretty good cRPG, I'm not sure about the Baldur's Gate aspect. I'm probably having more fun watching someone play it then I would if i was playing it myself.  :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson

25 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

OTOH 65USD definitely seems a bit steep for the privilege of beta testing. Bannerlord had a decent discount and cheaper base price.

It's 59.99 on both GoG and Steam (USD), not 65.  Not that that's going to change anyone's mind who thinks it's too pricey.  (I'm neutral on that/don't really care/am not likely to purchase it any time soon anyway)

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

This may be the highest price tag I have seen on an early access game. Are they certain they know EA stands for early access in this instance and not EA?

I think they're aware. They have their excuses reasons tho.

https://www.keengamer.com/articles/news/larian-explains-why-early-access-for-baldurs-gate-3-is-full-price/

“It’s better to think of Early Access as a playable preorder,” he said. “Though of course, it isn’t exactly that. Its function is entirely to make the game better through pooling feedback and testing ideas, iterating directly with our audience.”

Frankly I think that (Steam) early-access is going to move more and more in that direction  anyway, vs. how it all started/what long-timers expect. Which is not me saying whether such is "right" or "wrong." Only that it will, especially for "bigger" or more anticipated/ambitious titles.

Edited by LadyCrimson

23 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

It's 59.99 on both GoG and Steam (USD), not 65.  Not that that's going to change anyone's mind who thinks it's too pricey.  (I'm neutral on that/don't really care/am not likely to purchase it any time soon anyway)

It's got regional pricing, and I'm not in the US. Price is definitely 65USD here.

(To be fair- ish- it seems like we're getting less screwed over by regional pricing now because typical US base pricing has risen from 40 ->50 -> 60$ over the past 20 years but ours has stayed static around 100NZD/ 90AUD. We now only pay an extra $5 for the extra distance the photons have to travel)

14 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

It's got regional pricing, and I'm not in the US.

Ah, sorry, I thought you were talking from an "in the US' pov. 
I know regional pricing sucks for some areas.  Although I've never completely understood whether it's from taxes, exchange rates (is the US dollar even "strong" right now?), pure greed, etc.  Maybe all of it at the same time.  :lol:

Some PS5 launch titles are going to go up to $70 I think. I wonder if PC prices will follow eventually. Gaming in general etc.

Edited by LadyCrimson

The price differential in Europe is usually cited as being due to typically having high VAT. OTOH Steam definitely does charge GST here while GOG doesn't (? there's a turnover limit for 'having' to charge it, and I'm not sure there's much that can be done if a fully online overseas store refuses to comply) but their pricing is generally identical anyway; and $5 doesn't cover a 15% GST.

Given that both BG3 and Cyberpunk have the exact same pricing- $65.08- I'd suspect it's a straight conversion from 99.99NZD 89.95 AUD to USD, which would be the 'typical' retail price.

Historically they had (high) regional pricing here due to having to physically distribute relatively few copies over a large area, which did incur some extra costs. They then maintained the elevated prices throughout the shift to downloads which was... more difficult to justify. They're not bad now, but it is mostly due to US prices appreciating while ours haven't changed since the late 90s.

39 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

They then maintained the elevated prices throughout the shift to downloads which was... more difficult to justify.

The common excuse given is that publishers fear that if the digital storefronts were cheaper than regular retailers the retailers will buy less boxes (or negotiate to pay less) and they'd lose out on the business, or they fear that the retailers would cut them out entirely and take their business elsewere.

You know, just as if trading with digital goods is the same as trading real goods. It's the 21st century, you'd think corporate suits would eventually wisen up to the new reality of distribution, but no. A download is  sale lost folks. In more than one way. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.