Forum Comments and Issues Repository

SChin

2 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Maybe they can have paid membership tiers, free users can only post X times per day.

Only paid users get the ignore feature.

1 minute ago, Lexx said:

And if you want to post in the politics thread, you have to pay double.

Why would I pay for misery?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

44 minutes ago, Sarex said:

78isn0.jpg

1*gtIME1nJkOscfJtXWZZfhQ.gif

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

Yes the display of (the ad banner) is way too large, even at 1440 or 4k resolution it visually feels way too tall, relative to the amount you can see under it without scrolling down (I would guess it would seem even more height-filling at 1080, didn't check tho). I would suggest reducing the height by half. 😛

...that said, I too have now blocked it. But not everyone wants to use/do that sort of thing.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

uBlock Origin

forums.obsidian.net##[href^="https://forums.obsidian.net/index.php"] > .ipsContained.ipsImage

It's bloody huge and also bloody hugely distracting because it's animated...and it's fast animation, which makes it even worse.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

My only known issue at this moment is, the email verification has to take place on the same computer as the browser for some reason. On my work PC, I cleared out all Obsidian cookies and then it wanted me to log in again. So far so good. Pick log in with existing Obsidian ID. Use my Authenticator. So far so good. Then it wants me to click on an emailed link to verify the provided email address. So far... not so good. It doesn't seem to work for me, as my private email is not accessible on my work PC. I can verify the link on my phone and my personal PC and those browsers can then log in no problem. But it leaves out the use of any device that doesn't have access to your own email 😖

I.e. you can only log in on a PC where you also have your email available.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

16 hours ago, Gorth said:

My only known issue at this moment is, the email verification has to take place on the same computer as the browser for some reason. On my work PC, I cleared out all Obsidian cookies and then it wanted me to log in again. So far so good. Pick log in with existing Obsidian ID. Use my Authenticator. So far so good. Then it wants me to click on an emailed link to verify the provided email address. So far... not so good. It doesn't seem to work for me, as my private email is not accessible on my work PC. I can verify the link on my phone and my personal PC and those browsers can then log in no problem. But it leaves out the use of any device that doesn't have access to your own email 😖

I.e. you can only log in on a PC where you also have your email available.

Let me know is something needs to be escalated, Gorth

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

The banner is five times larger on the desktop browser (in 1920x1080, on Firefox, that is) than it is on mobile. The banner is fine on my phone. It is still there and isn't nearly as obtrusive as the deskopt variety is.

• Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

The big problem I have with the banner is that it's not specific enough to the forum. The Obsidian shirts are ok, but what I really want is a shirt with a stylized image of Josh Sawyer with a caption that reads "BALANCED" or a "you naughty :biggrin:" coffee mug.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

18 hours ago, majestic said:

The banner is fine on my phone. It is still there and isn't nearly as obtrusive as the deskopt variety is.

It's still annoying on my 10.5 tablet at horizontal viewing. The typical phone vertical mobile view is much less obtrusive feeling I agree. Maybe I should turn the 55" TV vertically? ;)

The dynamic desktop scaling of banner vs. forum-width also causes it to grow larger/taller when in actual thread view, vs. the "Home" view which has the right side-bar menus, especially if it's not full-screen, at least on the 1440 and tablet.

That all said, it's probably more the animation factor that bugs me the most. It's an overall nice design actually (and the t-shirts look nice 😄 ) , but almost-blinking animation is very distracting. If it was static I might tolerate it.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Annnd 20 minutes after I post that, it changes. The non-animated and darker version of the banner is much more tolerable on the eyes at least, and looks good design-wise. I'll leave this one alone for now. Thanks. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey @Noqn,

Sorry you're running into this blocker issue.  I reached out to our team about the issue and they think you should be fixed now.  Would you mind trying your post again?  If it doesn't work, would you mind taking a screenshot of what you are trying to post?  It seems certain things being input have been causing some issues, so we are making sure to allow for that once we know what is triggering the blocker for people.

Thanks a ton and sorry again for the trouble with the postings.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SChin said:

Hey @Noqn,

Sorry you're running into this blocker issue.  I reached out to our team about the issue and they think you should be fixed now.  Would you mind trying your post again?  If it doesn't work, would you mind taking a screenshot of what you are trying to post?  It seems certain things being input have been causing some issues, so we are making sure to allow for that once we know what is triggering the blocker for people.

Thanks a ton and sorry again for the trouble with the postings.

It works now, a thousand thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Writing...

firefox_F11wYh5jWZ.png

...with the quotes around it all by itself causes posts to fail. As does apparently...

firefox_Kx7I9nctvG.png

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Ineed, the overzealous backend protection issue is back, and it includes quoting certain characters too by the looks of it, like asterisks and ellispsis and quotation marks. Meh. Meaning that just because something can be posted doesn't mean it can be quoted in response.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

did the forums recently update and then break again, all my posts longer than a sentence seem to be breaking for various reasons again

Edited by Bartimaeus

To add, I also have that request is blocked thing going again occasionally. And it still, for me, feels random. I think it's been the quote marks again, or maybe parenthesis, but sometimes they go through, and sometimes it's "blocked". :) 

Edit: like that time, the word blocked in quotes triggered no error. Other times it will. Don't know what the difference is.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Hey yall!

@BartimaeusI let the powers that be know of the scenario you posted about, so if it isn't already fixed since he was working on the issues, we'll get that fixed up soon :)

@LadyCrimsonif you run into an issue with the request blocked message, can you message here as soon as it happens so we have a time stamp. We should be able to look into it and get that fixed.

Unfortunately we had to update our firewall during the holidays due to outside sources and we are trying to white list a bunch of scenarios that we didn't think of that you guys are running into, so thanks for reporting all of these!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SChin said:

Unfortunately we had to update our firewall during the holidays due to outside sources and we are trying to white list a bunch of scenarios that we didn't think of that you guys are running into, so thanks for reporting all of these!

I can now log into the forums from my work computer without having to install a private email client to authenticate the browser on that laptop. Thank you 🥰

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I use Chrome and for a month I couldnt post, quote or rate posts, its all working now 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...

When typing "(edit)" to start a new line (either the first or subsequent) in a PM, the PM breaks:

firefox_NySndooB3b.png

firefox_rAkQMx5uT7.png

This does not appear to currently happen with a regular post.

Edited by Bartimaeus