TURN BASED combat in Deadfire?!

If this happens I will boycott every upcoming Obsidian game.This change only has a monetary purpose because turn based sells better.I didn't see a turn based game add a real time option.I was a big fan Obsidian,until now.RTRPG's are a dying genre and you just burried it.Optional or not it still ruins the original concept.

If this happens I will boycott every upcoming Obsidian game.This change only has a monetary purpose because turn based sells better.I didn't see a turn based game add a real time option.I was a big fan Obsidian,until now.RTRPG's are a dying genre and you just burried it.Optional or not it still ruins the original concept.

Any future Obsidian game will also only have a monetary purpose because they're hoping people will buy the game. Every past Obsidian game as well. Every product you ever bought, in fact. Welcome to capitalism.

• Like 7

Any future Obsidian game will also only have a monetary purpose because they're hoping people will buy the game. Every past Obsidian game as well. Every product you ever bought, in fact. Welcome to capitalism.

Duuh.I'm talking about appealing to a whole different type of players and genre just so they could sell more copies.It wasn't always about money when it comes to Obsidian,atleast until now.

This is trash-tier trolling.

• Like 10

any additional functionality will only be monetary driven.

burn them I say

• Like 1

RTRPG's are a dying genre and you just burried it.Optional or not it still ruins the original concept.

That makes about as much sense as an earlier argument that the inclusion of Story Mode somehow devalued the experience of Path of the Damned.

This isn't a zero-sum thing.  Just because players might find a new game mode enjoyable, it surely hasn't made RTWP worse, right?

• Like 2

Question for those who watched the stream (or start playing later today):  How are they handling Interrupts in turn-based mode? 

Saw stream. not possible to tell

Streamer chose ranger as class and used default attack, so abilities were impossible to gauge.

From a mechanical viewpoint the stream was very disappointing.

• Like 2

Nerf Troubadour!

Question for those who watched the stream (or start playing later today):  How are they handling Interrupts in turn-based mode? 

Saw stream. not possible to tell

Streamer chose ranger as class and used default attack, so abilities were impossible to gauge.

From a mechanical viewpoint the stream was very disappointing.

I agree. I was even hoping the description on the attributes would have changed but they havent but i do get this is beta. As long as they explain the mechanics somewhere i guess that would be fine. I will finish my RTWP run but if turn based offers mechanically interesting choices i may try later

Edited by draego

Yeah they have to pay their bills too I get that part.We are talking about taking a different path here just to appeal to people who prefer turn based games, just so they can sell a few extra copies.This is about principles and sticking with the intended path and concept.Why is this a thing now and,months after the game has been released.Should've hinted this before they started selling the game.This blend is just wrong.Say whatever you want this killed the game for me.Good luck with your freak of nature.Turn based RPG's and real time RPG's are supposed to be 2 different genres.

But actually, we know it partly from the trailer, IIRC.

Xoti casts that-shield-spell. Takes a while. So Serafen gets to have his action between Xotis start-casting and finish-casting. Could be the same. Longer actions uses initiative points or somesuch-

Nerf Troubadour!

RTRPG's are a dying genre and you just burried it.Optional or not it still ruins the original concept.

That makes about as much sense as an earlier argument that the inclusion of Story Mode somehow devalued the experience of Path of the Damned.

This isn't a zero-sum thing.  Just because players might find a new game mode enjoyable, it surely hasn't made RTWP worse, right?

You are absolutely right in principle here, and I fundamentally disagree with the post you're responding to.

However, it does concern and bother me because every bit of resource being spent on this addition is a bit of resource that could have and should have been spent on making the RTwP game, which is THE game, even better. If they want to make a TB game, they should go and make that game (a separate new game). PoE2 was presented to me as a backer as a RTwP game, and so that's the game that PoE2-related resources should be spent improving. And yes, there are plenty more improvements and also more content additions and expansions that could be made to the game. In fact, my expectation is that future patches for the game will almost exclusively cater to the demands of the TB fans (who will surely complain very loudly about how this mode doesn't fully satisfy their preferences), and that will only add to my antipathy.

I don't know the full answer, but we can infer a partial answer. Abilities seem to have at least three speeds: infinite (or instant), 1 action, or "cast." Abilities (including spells) that have a "cast" action cost begin on your turn but then don't resolve until some time later. So your character is still "casting" while other characters are moving. I imagine that if you hit a character who is casting with an interrupting ability, you interrupt them.

It does make me think that it will be impossible to interrupt someone doing a 1 action ability, whereas in the regular game you can interrupt even people just doing regular attacks.

• Like 2

I agree with this save for one thing - Obsidian's interest are most definitely not *only* monetary, otherwise they wouldn't be appealing to such a strict niche or sticking with a genre that's been showing diminishing returns for a few years now. Money is certain *a* reason, and an important one, but not the sole purpose or motivator to their work.

Regardless, even assuming the addition of turn-based is purely related to monetary concerns, I don't see in what world you could possibly accuse Obsidian of "burying a genre" when they've stuck with RTwP for three consecutive games and when in two of these cases they've seen losses. Much as we all hate to hear it, Deadfire did poorly, and much as Obsidian can try and push the genre onwards, they're the ones putting in the work and the larger portion of the cake into making these games happen. If people don't buy them or show interest for them, there's only so much a developer can do short of running their funds to the ground. For them to add a new feature which may make the game at least *marginally* less of a financial failure as it's so far been isn't "selling out" or some evidence of greed, it's necessity. If you want to 'blame' anyone for the death of the genre, it's the audience's apathy towards it that you have to look at, not the devs that have committed as hard to it as Obsidian has.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 8

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I agree with this save for one thing - Obsidian's interest are most definitely not *only* monetary, otherwise they wouldn't be appealing to such a strict niche or sticking with a genre that's been showing diminishing returns for a few years now. Money is certain *a* reason, and an important one, but not the sole purpose or motivator to their work.

Regardless, even assuming the addition of turn-based is purely related to monetary concerns, I don't see in what world you could possibly accuse Obsidian of "burying a genre" when they've stuck with RTwP for three consecutive games and when in two of these cases they've seen losses. Much as we all hate to hear it, Deadfire did poorly, and much as Obsidian can try and push the genre onwards, they're the ones putting in the work and the larger portion of the cake into making these games happen. If people don't buy them or show interest for them, there's only so much a developer can do short of running their funds to the ground. For them to add a new feature which may make the game at least *marginally* less of a financial failure as it's so far been isn't "selling out" or some evidence of greed, it's necessity. If you want to 'blame' anyone for the death of the genre, it's the audience's apathy towards it that you have to look at, not the devs that have committed as hard to it as Obsidian has.

You are right.I was blinded by my love towards RTwP.I just want another POE game but I hope they won't completely switch to turn based combat.

• Like 2