TURN BASED combat in Deadfire?!

Yeah, the patch earlier today included it, and then another patch took it right back out.

Looks like this was a completely accidental leak. But also hugely interesting because I'm not sure another game like this has actually explicitly included the option to play it RTwP -or- turn-based.

Also, it'll be interesting to compare the balance between different classes from RTwP mode to turn-based. I imagine spellcasters and rangers will perform much more strongly in turn-based mode, for one.

Edited by Saito Hikari

Looks like this was a completely accidental leak. But also hugely interesting because I'm not sure another game like this has actually explicitly included the option to play it RTwP -or- turn-based.

Arcanum did, though there it kind of resulted in both modes being kind of a mess.

• Like 4

Curious. I will certainly give it a go. I can’t really thing of anything that would make the system not work as Turn Based, but balancing it to be fun might be tricky. Certainly it can’t be 1:1 translation or combat will go for way too long.

Edited by Wormerine

I wonder how they will resolve action speed, recovery time from armor? Will they affect initiative or allow more actions in one round?

Both Arcanum and Fallout Tactics had alternative comba mode. But in those games player could switch between both modes at any time. And those games had real time. Pillars is real time with pause. But if you think about that - every Infinity Engine game, Neverwinter Nights series and Pillars are quasi-real time. All characters act in turns  but all of them act simultaneously (IE turn takes 6 sec, Pillars has more fluid period of time - action speed and recovery time between two actions). In IE games were casting times, weapons had speed factor, characters had number of attacks per round. In Icewind Dale 2, both Neverwinter Nights were initative rolls. NWN 1&2 had all spells with the same casting time (1 action) or certain number of attacks during this 6 sec round.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

Wow. PoE turn based option. That would be the solution to increase PoE fame.

For a game like PoE I prefer Real time wiht pause but I know there is a huge community who prefers turn based (you can remember the Torment tides of numenera poll where turn based option won)

Can be both options technically compatible?

Edited by juanval
  • Like 1

This will certainly mess the builds section. :w00t:

Yeah. Upon further thought, a lot of builds likely won't translate very well to turn-based mode.

Then there's other things like how would engagement even work? The maps in this game aren't designed with very tight chokepoints, which would probably make a summoning Chanter a necessity. Enemies could probably just move past your tank and go right for your squishies, unless anyone that moves past a melee character not currently suffering under an affliction like Blind immediately takes an attack of opportunity (although this would also result in equipment granting bonuses to attack of opportunities/defenses against enemy attack of opportunities seeing a lot more use). Abilities that inflict immobility/hobbled will probably see far more use as well.

This is probably the most exciting future update this game could have had, implementing a mode that might as well be like playing an entirely new game. I'm a person that prefers turn-based, so I'm probably going to put my playthrough on hold and wait for this. 

Edited by Saito Hikari

Obsidian, please for the love of the gods, finish this mode and release it for Deadfire. Please do not let this be something you're testing for another game in the same engine.

Indeed. I've been monitoring as many mainstream sites as possible to see reaction to this leak, and everywhere I saw this being brought up, it resulted in a lot of positive interest towards the game.

Then there's other things like how would engagement even work?

I understand that many people prefer turn based, but just imagining an enemy going around my tank is enough for me to want to stick to RTwP. :p But let's see how they deal with this and other problems.

If this makes battles longer, then I'll definitely play with RTwP because it took a lot of time for me to finish my first pt. One way or another, it's a great option for players.

• Like 2

sign.jpg

I'm really happy for this and eager to try it out but to make it work a lot of changes are needed to the rules and even after fixing that many combat encounters would strech for an unbearable amount of time if the number of NPCs (most of the time enemies) stays the same, I find unlikely that they'll rebalance all encounters for this mode.

Edit: I don't know if someone already posted this somewhere else but it seems something else might have been slipped out 

https://old.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/a82h4r/new_ship_combat_ui/

Edited by Daled
  • Like 2

I'm really happy for this and eager to try it out but to make it work a lot of changes are needed to the rules and even after fixing that many combat encounters would strech for an unbearable amount of time if the number of NPCs (most of the time enemies) stays the same, I find unlikely that they'll rebalance all encounters for this mode.

I'm fine with longer encounters if it means I have more room to make tactical choices. Currently I've been mindlessly firing off the same rotation in every combat and only changing anything if there's something to react to.

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

They probably will rebalance most, if not all encounters around this. Mostly the superbosses and ending DLC/dragon fights especially. They've already tweaked individual encounters before.

It's likely the reason why when this patch went live for the hour and a half that it was available, only new games had the option and no one noticed it on existing saves. The game just won't let you switch between either mode at once.

Edited by Saito Hikari
  • Like 1