The Political Thread - Burlamaqui edition

Amentep

Sometimes the available expert is located abroad, but even still most politicians don't practice what they preach when it comes to health care access. How often you get an objectivist politician?

It's not like he has some rare or uncommon condition that needs to be treated

Also, while I get that it's a private hospital, you gotta wonder why he is going to Canada (curse you volourn, spelling Canada with a K is temping me, lol) instead of a private hospital in the US, that's the irony of it I'm talking about because I'm betting that the private hospital is cheaper than ones in the US.

whats with using different sounding letters in english anyway? K - Key, C - see  Seenada?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Sometimes the available expert is located abroad, but even still most politicians don't practice what they preach when it comes to health care access. How often you get an objectivist politician?

It's not like he has some rare or uncommon condition that needs to be treated

Yeah, which is why I'm saying sometimes, not this time.

whats with using different sounding letters in english anyway? K - Key, C - see  Seenada?

Well, you get a can of soup with a 'k' sound.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_and_soft_C#English

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think its borrowed from late Latin. "C" represents /k/ when before a, o, u and consonants. Should be soft "c" /s/ before e, i, y.  Some variation exists due to borrowing from French (UK sceptic). K is then used to show a /k/ sound before e, i and y.

K is usually used at the end of words (or ck) for /k/, with a few exceptions (like 'arc').

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

China-Canada spat is heating up a tad.  Pretty sure the drug smuggler's going to die just due to that.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/china-blasts-trudeau-remarks-canadian-death-sentence-1.4978443

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

so basically random :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Someday if you accomplish something special, you might get an invite to The White House, where you will dine on delicious Big Macs. The President will even pay for that food out of his own pocket, setting him back dozens of dollars. What a time to be alive.

• Like 2

I am seeing a few people throw out statistics along the lines of "If the shutdown lasts two more weeks, it will cost the government more money than the budget to build the wall."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Someday if you accomplish something special, you might get an invite to The White House, where you will dine on delicious Big Macs. The President will even pay for that food out of his own pocket, setting him back dozens of dollars. What a time to be alive.

Apparently abusive partners will often make small gestures of kindness, such as buying their victims nice things, to keep them from realising the overall relationship is toxic.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Theresa May didn't even get 1/3 support for her Brexit Agreement, losing by 230 votes. That's more than 100 of her own MPs voting against her.

Bit better than predicted, but not in way that it matters. Tomorrow's no confident vote and next weeks new plan are bit more interesting, but if something miraculous don't happen to unite the parliament then UK will leave EU without any additional agreement.

Funny sad thing about the Kanadian 'drug smuggler' being killed is that he was originally convicted and sentenced to a harsh but not lethal 15 years. He appealed his conviction... and the new verdict came after China started crying about Kanada… and now instead of 15 years he gets the death penalty.  Why is suddenly his crime worth death to the same country's justice system? LMAO Was their new evidence that made it worse?  Nah...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Increasing sentences on appeal does happen, but it's obviously retaliation for the Huawei exec being detained. They even passive aggressively used near verbatim the same legalist ('respect the processes of our legal system please') statements Kanada used to Chinese criticism when they detained Meng.

Not that I have much sympathy for Kanada there. US has regularly used its Iran sanctions to extort foreign banks, this time they've tried it on someone with clout. If Kanada didn't want to get blowback they shouldn't honour dubious and obviously politically motivated US warrants on people transiting their country and should stick to pissing off weaksauce like the Saudis instead. At least one of the Kanadians China have nabbed recently almost certainly is a spy as well (as is mr 4 passports who was nabbed in Russia, indeed he's about as obvious a disclaimable asset as you can get).

It's not like the whole Huawei thing is even about having secure systems and whatnot, it's about making sure there are NSA backdoors built into everything instead.

Theresa May didn't even get 1/3 support for her Brexit Agreement, losing by 230 votes. That's more than 100 of her own MPs voting against her.

Bit better than predicted, but not in way that it matters. Tomorrow's no confident vote and next weeks new plan are bit more interesting, but if something miraculous don't happen to unite the parliament then UK will leave EU without any additional agreement.

It was considerably worse for May than predicted as the worst analysis was around a -200 loss, and the worst defeat for a government in modern history. Not really 'better' for those who wanted to stay in Europe either as the Tories who crossed the floor are euroskeptics and won't vote for a second referendum or to stay which is what the remainers want. No confidence vote won't go through either as turkeys won't vote for an early christmas; the DUP already has what it wanted (no back door Irish union, as they saw it) as do the euroskeptics (what they saw as a 'soft' EU membership rather than withdrawal) so they'll vote for the government and that gives a majority. They'd need remain Tories to cross the floor which is highly unlikely as it would almost certainly end their careers.

Edited by Zoraptor