RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - CON SEASON

Blarghagh

WH40K always looked like fan fiction to me...

Yet it's the other way around. And there's a reason for that - WH40k has pretty much everything that made SC lore/story good, upped by a large margin due to having a lot more time to grow. I've been an avid fan of SC story/lore myself for the longest time and refused to touch anything 40k related, but then I did and ... Well ... I can see why people enjoying both franchises (like me) tend to prefer WH40k.

Incidentally, Eisenhorn book is like 300 pages in a rather small format and there's pretty much no pictures for you to go 'I don't like this design!' - so don't let stubbornness keep you from something you're likely going to enjoy very much if you're as much of a fan of SC as you claim to be.

Edit: No, you're not homophobic, society in WH40k is. ... Presumably.

Hot Taek: I think Starship Troopers is a better satire on Nazi propaganda than WH40K.

/hides

:ninja:

Time to find your truck and introduce it to a Hellfire missile!

But suppose so, not sure what 40k parodies at this point, seemes it takes itself a lot more seriously than it did in past (whatever happened to Obi Wan Sherlock Closseau? :p)

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's Dark Fantasy IN SPACE where the main good guys are an entire faction of Lawful Stupid Paladins. And the story potential is there for other characters to try and navigate that. Trying to stop some great evil while not being a jerk yourself and not getting smashed by the jerks on your own side.

Usually this goes horribly wrong. But hey, that's what I like in horror stories anyway.

I'm still waiting for an epic party based RPG. Any day now. Any day...

This is about the best explanation of why those of us into Games Workshop properties love them so, courtesy of 1d4chan:

One day a bunch of anons were complaining about the status quo and asking why GeeDubs wasn't Advancing the Storyline. This article follows another anon's legendary answer explaining what the other anons hadn't understood the storyline was even for and why 40k was awesome.

> It just seems like there's never any lasting damage done when **** hits the fan. Yeah, that one planet in Ultramar got OM NOM NOMMED by the 'Nids, but we don't have a stake in anyone who died during the Wars.

> I dunno, I guess I just want **** to happen to somebody and for it to STICK. Like, if Calgar got OMG****ED by the 'Nids or something, he'd end up in a Dreadnought. Just little changes to show that the major factions aren't static.

Here is what 40K is about. Are you ready? Write this down, because it is important.

40K is about your own group of soldiers.

I don't care what faction you play or what lists you use. I don't care if you're an existing unit or you make up your own. 40k is about your dudes. It is about YOUR GUYS.

Let me tell you a story about one Erasmus Tycho:

Erasmus Tycho was a captain in an early after-action report in White Dwarf. At one point he got KOed by a Weirdboy's psychic blast. This was fluffed as him being severely injured, and that affected his characterization and what would become of him. In-game events were strung together and then logically connected to a potential story - an EMERGENT story based on the guided events of the gameplay.

Do you see what that is? THAT IS AN EVOLVING STORY. THAT IS THE KIND OF THING YOU CAN DO WITH YOUR GUYS. You can give your dudes names and grow attached to them in the same way that you can with X-COM or Final Fantasy Tactics or any other game where you have generic dudes.

Hell, if you played Chaos Gate, that was basically the game! The last time someone played it for /tg/, there was a dude named APEMANTUS who was badass (based on in-game events), was killed (as an in-game event), and was brought back as a dreadnought (a stretch of the imagination that was connected to in-game events).

That's the kind of stuff 40k should be about. Evolving stories based on what you did, and how a battle went. It's what Necromunda does, it's what Mordheim does, and it's what every strategy game ought to do.

Don't worry about "the fluff". The fluff is background material. It exists to provide context for your own story. Worrying about fluff is like worrying about Drizzt and Elminster in the Forgotten Realms - it shouldn't be about them, it should be about your party. The same thing applies to 40k. Become the change you want. Just as planned.
  • Like 6
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Alvin, you must be new. Call this a Warhammer fanboy forum and watch the very people who play Warhammer start to endlessly criticize it to make you out to look like a liar. Welcome to the internet. Now you know for next time lol It's okay though.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I play the tabletop game like biweekly, and yes, I am a big fan of the whole Your Dudestm approach.

At our FLGS we have a running Kill Team campaign which is great for having your best painted models out front and center and experiencing the highs and lows of a persistent experience. As one example of a low my best friend was utterly crushed when he had his Lictor get turned into a melted puddle trying to charge one of my Harlequins who managed an overwatch with her Fusion Pistol (for those not in the know the same short-range melta-gun designed for use against _tanks_ in a compact pistol form).

g7iJhrF.jpg

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

The original StarCraft was/is one of the best Sci-fi settings I've ever seen

You need to read more books! :p

This Diablo furor is providing good comedy. Apparently Diablo 2 was a game with a mature, complex story to some, for example. :lol:

It had a story?

Alvin, you must be new. Call this a Warhammer fanboy forum and watch the very people who play Warhammer start to endlessly criticize it to make you out to look like a liar. Welcome to the internet. Now you know for next time lol It's okay though.

Who's Alvin ?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Who's Alvin ?

Simon and Theodore's brother, one presumes.

• Like 5

There was this FFXV livestream (prerecorded tho) this evening. I didn't watch it but the news is:

Square Enix cancels 3 out of 4 of the "2nd season of DLC's" they announced months ago, only Episode Ardyn remains.

No stand-alone Comrades on PC (but costumes/new bosses will still be added).

Tabata quit Square Enix.

They didn't say, but I bet the pc level editor is cancelled.

https://www.pcgamer.com/final-fantasy-xv-dlc-plans-canceled-amid-hajime-tabatas-departure/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

My first reaction was a huge loud lol-ing moment. :lol:

I still like to fire up XV now and then to goof off, but I personally gave almost no ***** about the DLC or Comrades so matters little to me, but man oh man, what a nutty announcement session. Not surprising, mind ... game's old and pc version didn't do as well as they hoped and the long delays was like writing on the wall. But still a crap thing to do so late. I think there were a lot of XV fans who really wanted the Luna and Aranea dlc's, even if I wasn't one of them.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

LOL!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

*Hits pre-order button*

2019, the year of best Cyberpunk games in history of gaming. Goodbye Deus Ex.

LOL Blizzard climbing up in the world, trollin fans :p

Yarp. Hoohoo nana nene mufasa!

I imagine this is the same dance we'll see when Obsidian finally officially announces their buyout from Microsoft and they go more console orient initiative :)

On this episode of how to burn off all of your goodwill with fans in two weeks...

As with any Wall Street-owned company, it's purely a numbers game to them. What's the Diablo fanbase, millions? Tens of millions? And only a relatively small subset of that is angry at this news. The mobile market is in the hundreds of millions at the very least. Immortal is a product explicitly aimed at minors who may or may not abuse mommy's credit card, and the Chinese market. The CCP could make it hard for ActiBlizz to get a foot in the door, but I don't think it will happen. This will most likely be the latest in a long line of money-printing machines, longstanding fanbase or not, and investors are counting on it.

And of course, expect any lingering hard feelings to be smoothed over as soon as they announce a proper PC project. Past a certain point, goodwill is overrated, I think.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

On this episode of how to burn off all of your goodwill with fans in two weeks...

As with any Wall Street-owned company, it's purely a numbers game to them. What's the Diablo fanbase, millions? Tens of millions? And only a relatively small subset of that is angry at this news. The mobile market is in the hundreds of millions at the very least. Immortal is a product explicitly aimed at minors who may or may not abuse mommy's credit card, and the Chinese market. The CCP could make it hard for ActiBlizz to get a foot in the door, but I don't think it will happen. This will most likely be the latest in a long line of money-printing machines, longstanding fanbase or not, and investors are counting on it.

And of course, expect any lingering hard feelings to be smoothed over as soon as they announce a proper PC project. Past a certain point, goodwill is overrated, I think.

I know the majority of people are stupid, but you'd think that people would have caught on to the fact that analyst are just making educated guesses. I don't have any data but if Diablo 3 wasn't that big of a hit in the Asian market would there be any reason to do a reskin of a mobile cashgrab game?. Brand recognition is what will either make or break this game, quite possibly both.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

https://youtu.be/PefK3KubKKI

Hah. Saying our "best developers" definitely is some sales department BS. Living that life now.

It's too easy for some people to regain goodwill aswell. As soon as the company starts their hypemachine people will forget their anger and indignation very quickly. Not to mention that people are very quick to announce things like boycots, but they don't follow through with it. Remember the Modern Warfare 2 dedicated server outrage?

18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

And I'm not certain about it, but after the MW2 dedicated server hubbub, I've never heard a peep about anything like that again.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Hah. Saying our "best developers" definitely is some sales department BS. Living that life now.

I would have said marketing, but I'm curious to hear what department you belong to. I'm design BTW.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif