Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Groot and Hodor need to share a fan club.

Grodor Apreciation Society.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Sequel night - Amazing Spider-man 2 and Insidious: Chapter 2.

Insidious: Chapter 2 was okay, the story was good but it wasn't very scary other than a few jumpscares. A few standout scenes had high tension but it was quickly diffused. Worth a watch but not as good as the first one (which also had its problems but at least 2/3 of it scared the fecal matter out of me).

Amazing Spider-man 2 was... not okay. Probably the worst Superhero movie in recent years. This movie is the very definition of going through the motions. All the villains are unmotivated cartoons (especially Jamie Foxx, whose portrayal feels like it belongs to a Wayans brothers parody rather than a real movie) and 2 of them don't even show up until the last fifteen minutes and have maybe five minutes of screen time between the two of them.

Amazing Spider-man 2 was... not okay. Probably the worst Superhero movie in recent years. This movie is the very definition of going through the motions. All the villains are unmotivated cartoons (especially Jamie Foxx, whose portrayal feels like it belongs to a Wayans brothers parody rather than a real movie) and 2 of them don't even show up until the last fifteen minutes and have maybe five minutes of screen time between the two of them.

IMO, thus movie suffered from the success of Avengers and tried to pack in as many characters as possible to put out a large team-up film. What Sony and WB(with Batman v Superman + half of DC characters) don't seem to get is that Avengers took 5 films to lead up to, and those films are pretty self-contained. ASM2 would have been much better if it had narrowed its focus on Electro and waited to deal with Goblin Harry and the Sinister Six. Not to mention the bad writing and mediocre special effects.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

For worst superhero movie of recent years, it's a toss-up between Green Lantern and Green Hornet. But both movies were still fun in their own way.

Emphasis mine. Technically, I would have to say ASM2 is a more well-made movie, but I feel ASM2 was a worse experience on account of how boring it is. The lack of villain and direction make it feel like a soap opera for 4/5th of the running time.

In other news, Studio Ghibli is closing its doors for good. :(

Edited by TrueNeutral

Loved Guardians of the Galaxy.

But can we get Cosmo think-talking next time please? :)

Also it felt like there was a lot edited out of the film - hope it shows up on the home releases.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Captain America Winter Soldier (2014) Really enjoyed this. A character I didn't really take an interest in seems to be one of my favourite Marvel movies. Quite predictable with Nick Fury and Robert Redford's characters though. But still enjoyed it.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) meh. I think I'm burned out with seeing so many Spider-man movies. Five movies in around 10 years is just too excessive for me. It felt like the movie didn't know what it wanted to be. Didn't like the Rhino at the end. Preferred the original Rhino in the comics.

Divergent (2014) You could see the whole plot of the movie in the first five minutes. Fairly predictable. I don't know, it felt like a really bad Hunger Games movie or something like that. Dystopia movie with people in different factions.

Also, been watching quite a few sci-fi / horror movies including a few B grade movies mixed in.

Europa Report (2013) This was alright. Liked the ending but some of the stupid mistakes they did. A lot of forehead slapping, really silly mistakes. But still enjoyed it.

The Rig (2010) An oil rig drills into bottom of sea bed and alien creatures come up and attack the oil rig workers. Pretty bad but still enjoyed it.

Stranded (2013) Five people on a moon base and something comes onto the moon base during an asteroid storm. Christian Slater seems to be enjoying himself and quite funny to see a lot of the props, including the doors and walls made out of plastic move on the set. When an actor leans against a wall, you can see the wall bend even though it's supposed to be metal. :lol: And even more hilarious was the obvious scale models of the moon base getting hit with asteroids. It looked like something out of an Irwin Allen movie. Also, this was directed by the guy who did Battlefield Earth so it was fairly dodgy overall.

The Time Machine (1960) What an enjoyment this was having not seen it for so many years. Great ending with taking three books with him.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Finally saw The Raid 2. Nice that they tried to add in some story, fight scenes were well done as expected. Good enough.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Remembering this day in history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WenOh8NsDOs

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

To TN and Gorgon:

nerds-3.jpg

:p

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy and it was the best Marvel movie ever. Bradley Cooper doesn't sound anything like himself though.

My favorite line:

Nothing goes over my head! My reflexes are too fast and I will catch it!

My favorite moments were:

"I don't think anyone is 100% a ****." and Howard the Duck.

My favourite bit of dialogue was definitely the part about the battery.

Hm, on film related news..

Babylon 5 Movie Reboot a Possibility

J. Michael Straczysnki has announced plans for a Babylon 5 feature film, which is expected to enter production in 2016.

Speaking at San Diego Comic Con last week, Straczsynki announced that he would soon be sitting down to write a Babylon 5 feature film, which is envisioned as a reboot of the iconic sci-fi series. JMS said that he plans to get the script locked down by the end of 2015 and the film would then enter production the following year in 2016.

Next to nothing is known about the plot for this Babylon 5 feature film, beyond the fact that it is a reboot of the concept seen in the series. That said, J. Michael Straczynski has stated that he would like to use cast members from the series, such as Bruce Boxleitner and Mira Furlan, in new roles in the feature film. “I’d love to see Bruce as the President of the Earth Alliance”, he said.

The hope is that Warner Bros, who produced the Babylon 5 television series, would step up and green-light a “big budget” feature film once the script has been completed. But owing to the nature of the deal that Straczysnki inked with the studio to produce Babylon 5 in the early 1990s, he, rather than Warner Bros, owns the feature film rights to the show. Should Warner Bros. choose not to greenlight a B5 movie, Straczynski would still proceed with the feature, which would then be funded and produced through his Studio JMS banner on a budget of $80 – $100 million.

This marks the first piece of solid news for a potential Babylon 5 feature film, which Straczysnki has been trying to produce since the 1990s. The writer/producer/director now has the option to proceed without Warner Bros. thanks to the financial success of Studio JMS, whose diverse slate of projects include the upcoming Netflix series Sense8.

Straczynski has previously pitched at least three Babylon 5 feature films. The first was in 1996 and was to tell the story of The Telepath war; while the second, tentatively titled Babylon 5: The Motion Picture, told the story of President Sheridan investigating when the entire crew of a White Star are found dead. It was the third film pitch, The Memory of Shadows, which came closest to fruition in 2004/2005. The project fell apart, however, when funding for the film could not be secured.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

What would you rate Hercules?

Was pretty fun. Plot was a little better than I expected. Dragged a little bit leading up towards 'half time', but then they brought it home with a whole bunch of action in the second half. Not anything I'd get on DVD or anything, but was an entertaining and violent distraction.

OMG, I heart this so very much!

At least once a year, I get all of my Babylon 5 DVDs (I know, ancient media) and go through the entire series, including all movies and spin-offs...I was crushed that Legend of the Rangers never made it past the pilot movie.

To this day, B5 is always within my top 3 favorite sci-fi franchises when asked to name them. Although, when asked to name them in order of preference, my head explodes when trying to choose between B5 and Farscape in the top slot... :sweat:

Hm, on film related news..

Babylon 5 Movie Reboot a Possibility

J. Michael Straczysnki has announced plans for a Babylon 5 feature film, which is expected to enter production in 2016.

Speaking at San Diego Comic Con last week, Straczsynki announced that he would soon be sitting down to write a Babylon 5 feature film, which is envisioned as a reboot of the iconic sci-fi series. JMS said that he plans to get the script locked down by the end of 2015 and the film would then enter production the following year in 2016.

Next to nothing is known about the plot for this Babylon 5 feature film, beyond the fact that it is a reboot of the concept seen in the series. That said, J. Michael Straczynski has stated that he would like to use cast members from the series, such as Bruce Boxleitner and Mira Furlan, in new roles in the feature film. “I’d love to see Bruce as the President of the Earth Alliance”, he said.

The hope is that Warner Bros, who produced the Babylon 5 television series, would step up and green-light a “big budget” feature film once the script has been completed. But owing to the nature of the deal that Straczysnki inked with the studio to produce Babylon 5 in the early 1990s, he, rather than Warner Bros, owns the feature film rights to the show. Should Warner Bros. choose not to greenlight a B5 movie, Straczynski would still proceed with the feature, which would then be funded and produced through his Studio JMS banner on a budget of $80 – $100 million.

This marks the first piece of solid news for a potential Babylon 5 feature film, which Straczysnki has been trying to produce since the 1990s. The writer/producer/director now has the option to proceed without Warner Bros. thanks to the financial success of Studio JMS, whose diverse slate of projects include the upcoming Netflix series Sense8.

Straczynski has previously pitched at least three Babylon 5 feature films. The first was in 1996 and was to tell the story of The Telepath war; while the second, tentatively titled Babylon 5: The Motion Picture, told the story of President Sheridan investigating when the entire crew of a White Star are found dead. It was the third film pitch, The Memory of Shadows, which came closest to fruition in 2004/2005. The project fell apart, however, when funding for the film could not be secured.

Guardians of the Galaxy and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Both were good, but I liked Guardians a lot more. Probably my favorite movie in a long time. Drax was hilarious.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy

It was ok, as in it didn't suck and wasn't stupid. I don't understand what the hype is about it though.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Guardians of the Galaxy

It was ok, as in it didn't suck and wasn't stupid. I don't understand what the hype is about it though.

That was the hype.. most movies do.

Fortune favors the bald.

Guardians of the Galaxy

That was the hype.. most Movies do.

I meant the hype, as in one of the greatest movies this year.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think most people celebreate mediocracy these days, because it's slightly elevated above your average garbage and therefore looks positively shiny compared to all the other crap.. But maybe I'm just jaded. 

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.