What are you playing now?

Gorth

Start of old thread

End of old thread

Victoria 2 as USA. My start went completely bad, I've finally managed to bounce back and conquered American states from Mexico and while I was teaching the Mexicans a lesson the British Empire decided to contain my rising power and attacked me from Canada. They did destroy most of my fleet, but I took their part of Alaska and Manitoba (cutting Canada in half) after a very long fight.

Should probably destroy their precense from North America completely...

Ach, that one is also on my to-do list together with Hearts of Iron III. Bought both of them quite a while ago (plus the expansions for HOIII).

Regards to indie-games, their difficulty is generally higher than AAA-games... made to Never Fail ™.

You don't say. Learnt that the hard way yesterday after purchasing the full version of Demolition Inc. The demo is deceptively easy and then suddenly the difficulty rises faster than Zimbabwes inflation :)

Is everyone in the Diablo 3 public beta?

Not even on Diablo 2 yet :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

replaying deus ex human revolution while waiting for skyrim toolset. once that comes out, and i get my fill of my mods and skyrim, i think i'll replay resident evil 1, 2, code veronica, 4, and 5 to mentally prepare me for the insanity surely awaiting me in RE6

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

replaying deus ex human revolution while waiting for skyrim toolset. once that comes out, and i get my fill of my mods and skyrim, i think i'll replay resident evil 1, 2, code veronica, 4, and 5 to mentally prepare me for the insanity surely awaiting me in RE6

You've got close to a year until Resident Evil 6 is out. I don't think you need to rush into replaying the previous Resident Evil installments just yet, not unless it takes you a month for each game.

I'm finally onto Assassin's Creed Revelations. I really don't know how I feel about it. It's much of the same from Brotherhood, but for some reason, they've switched up some of the buttons/controls, which is giving me issues because I'm automatically pressing the old button and a new action is taking place. For instance, I wanted to turn on Eagle Vision in a crowd, but instead tossed a cherry bomb into the crowd instead. So much for stealth.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Just finished The Witcher 2. Did Roche's path. Haven't decided whether I'll jump into a replay now, or go to one of the other games on my wait-list instead.

I think you should try Iorveth path on the go, it gives a bit more satisfaction than Roche's one. But if you are bored with the game, skip it and do it when you will replay the game again from the start.

Finished Zone of the Enders 2. The action and graphics are terrific but Hideo Kojima's story and dialog are muddled garbage.

Dunno what it is with japanese devs to pay so little attention to the story. Actually, forget story I'd settle for sense for starters.

Now I have to finish Syberia. I like the game so far although I'm not sure its as good as the critics said it was at the time of release.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Having finally replaced the mainboard in my desktop, I have returned to gaming, with a little X3: Albion Prelude and Borderlands. Still a little hesitant to fire up Skyrim, as that's what I was playing when it died back in November, but maybe tomorrow.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

Having finally replaced the mainboard in my desktop, I have returned to gaming, with a little X3: Albion Prelude and Borderlands. Still a little hesitant to fire up Skyrim, as that's what I was playing when it died back in November, but maybe tomorrow.

Do we have an Obsidian Borderlands group?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I did give the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo a short try last night.

Felt a little off to begin with, but smoothed out as I pushed along with it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Dunno what it is with japanese devs to pay so little attention to the story. Actually, forget story I'd settle for sense for starters.

I've always thought something is lost in translation with some Japanese games.

Been play Way of the Samurai 3 again, really like this game. Looking forward to playing 4.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I've always thought something is lost in translation with some Japanese games.

Been play Way of the Samurai 3 again, really like this game. Looking forward to playing 4.

Translation is definitely a problem even in this day and age. ZoE2 had parts that were obviously badly translated. It shouldn't happen to Konami, they're not some garage developer.

On top of that there's the usual bad/flat english voice acting.

Its something I've seen in anime as well. I always listen to japanese audio with english subs if possible.

Finished Syberia. Beautiful game, particularly towards the end. It gets an easy 9/10 from me.

Translation is definitely a problem even in this day and age. ZoE2 had parts that were obviously badly translated. It shouldn't happen to Konami, they're not some garage developer.

On top of that there's the usual bad/flat english voice acting.

Its something I've seen in anime as well. I always listen to japanese audio with english subs if possible.

Considering half of today's writers are yesterday's otaku (ie, retarded trash), it's not surprising.

The sequel is just as good, or at least I enjoyed both games equally, great mood.

There are two particularly poignant moments in the game, but for the rest I found it far inferior the first. There's no longer the mystery of the first game and the locations are more generic while in the first game they were all so atmospheric and quirky "warped history".

Finished Syberia. Beautiful game, particularly towards the end. It gets an easy 9/10 from me.

Syberia 1&2 are practically the only significant and memorable post-2000 point&click games until Gray Matter came out. Adventure games nowadays are still churned out by the dozens, but either fail to succesfully emulate their great predecessors or are just utterly forgettable.

There's of course also Dreamfall, but that one's memorable only for being a huge trainwreck.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

My housemate/lodger has started playing Torchlight. It's almost eerie not hearing Fallout New Vegas noises every time I come home.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Just finished The Witcher 2. Did Roche's path. Haven't decided whether I'll jump into a replay now, or go to one of the other games on my wait-list instead.

I think you should try Iorveth path on the go, it gives a bit more satisfaction than Roche's one. But if you are bored with the game, skip it and do it when you will replay the game again from the start.

I'm not bored with the game, but it looks like there will be some more new content if I wait a couple months. That strikes me as a good reason to play something else for a while.

I have DE:HR, Portal 2, Arkham City, and Skyrim waiting for me at the moment. I'm thinking that I'll start with Deus Ex.

Messed around a bit in BF3.

DICE really needs to learn that when you make an action set piece, you need to make your objectives somewhat not-crazy. They want me to bum rush, get an LMG while on a bridge where I have 0 cover and am getting shot at by every enemy and their cousin on the map.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm not bored with the game, but it looks like there will be some more new content if I wait a couple months. That strikes me as a good reason to play something else for a while.

I have DE:HR, Portal 2, Arkham City, and Skyrim waiting for me at the moment. I'm thinking that I'll start with Deus Ex.

So, opinions on the writing? Did you find it as annoyingly misogynistic as the original, or think they made progress (like I do)? I'm curious.

So, opinions on the writing? Did you find it as annoyingly misogynistic as the original, or think they made progress (like I do)? I'm curious.

Far better in that regard. Simply including adult female characters who were neither crones nor potential objects of sexual conquest was an enormous positive step.

Although in terms of thematic quest writing, I don't think that it quite matched up to the strongest parts of TW1. There was a group of quests in early Ch. 3 of the first game that, to me, remains the best part of the series. The vampire bordello, the werewolf bit, the cannibal in the Swamp, and the encounter with the talking ghoul all iterate on the core theme of "how does a monster-hunter decide what/who is or isn't a monster," all while the whole "Shani wants to settle down and get away from all this" plot thread poses the question of whether and why G would want to be a monster-hunter in the first place. (It may be coincidence that I was doing all these quests around the same time, but it was a happy coincidence.) There wasn't any part of TW2 where I was so consistently delighted by how simultaneous plot threads resolved. In place of that thematic content, the sequel instead offered a lot of politics, which is a much tougher sell in terms of getting emotional buy-in from the player.

That said, TW2 avoided TW1's problem of opening with 10 or so hours of quite dull gameplay that lack much reason for the player to care about the gameworld or any of its characters. Based on that point alone, I feel comfortable in calling it a much better game.

Edited by Enoch