The Athenaeum - Reading updates and Literary Review from the Obsidian Elite (this means you)

Amentep

the earth is weeping: the epic story of the indian wars for the american west

two observations:

1) probably weren't what you were thinking 'bout when you asked for suggestions.

w/o question the indian wars fits definition o' colonialism, but is rare what persons is intending by reference colonialism. 

2) is possible the only decent book we ever read with "epic" in the title.

another title worth mentioning is,

the divided ground: indians, settlers, and the northern borderland of the american revolution  

author is alan taylor, who wrote the admitted superior william cooper's town.

regardless, is a couple works we mention for no other reason than they is unlikely to show up on any other colonialism reading lists, but deserve spots nonetheless.

HA! Good Fun!

ps only just seen the finnegans wake post. am conflicted 'bout the title for reasons we won't fully go into, but the thing is, unlike ulysses which gets the masterpiece label, finnegans wake were the breaking point for many a diehard joyce fan. joyce were fully cognizant he were punishing the reader with fw, which in our mind is an unforgivable conceit for an author... but we kinda/sorta forgive anyways. complicated.

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

37 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

regardless, is a couple works we mention for no other reason than they is unlikely to show up on any other colonialism reading lists, but deserve spots nonetheless.

You're right that I wasn't really thinking about Native Americans when I wrote my initial post, but then again, I'm also not sure why they wouldn't (or shouldn't) be included in discussions about colonialism.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm looking for "The Earth Is Weeping" as I write this post.

Edited by Skazz
typo

8 hours ago, Skazz said:

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm looking for "The Earth Is Weeping" as I write this post.

is a widespread effort to remove andrew jackson from the US $20. andy is a complex american historical figure, but given the trail o' tears, public opinion as a whole shifted in recent decades such that he he gets viewed as a villain perhaps a bit more than he does as a competent (if unspectacular) chief executive and a bonafide war hero. 

read the earth is weeping and is difficult to decide who is more deserving o' infamy, jackson or grant. President grant were calculated and ruthless in his efforts to create a war with the plains indians, although few history books bother to relate the scope o' grant's efforts. 

the earth is weeping is a book which challenges many firm held preconceptions 'bout the US and Grant-- details US colonial efforts prosecuted as much by subterfuge as force and how the American people were purposeful kept in the dark 'bout uncomfortable truths. 

is a worthwhile read, particular today as Americans is reflecting on who exact is deserving o' monuments and what happens when uncomfortable truths force opinions to change.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps (late edit) the earth is weeping is NOT a whites= bad, indians = good book. President grant comes outta the wash looking dirty, but one reason why subterfuge were needed to bring 'bout the indian wars is 'cause so many whites, particular US military commanders, balked at the idea o' killing starving women and children. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

^ Wow, James McAvoy sounds perfect as Morpheus. I swear it'd be super difficult for me to imagine him with a different voice now.

Also, let's get Tori Amos to voice Delirium.

EDIT: And while we're at it... Brian Blessed as Destruction when

Edited by Skazz

He's a little rusty after 26 years

• Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Currently reading:

51ItYOHhkHL._SX401_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hey... I made a pun! CURRENTly reading!

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

10 hours ago, Sarex said:

Did you guys hear about the new Dune trilogy prequel by Brian Herbert. Personally didn't like his sequels.

Not before you mentioned it, and now I wish you did not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Clay recently released a new Sexy Losers comic. That's... two this year now. 2020 really IS weird.

(Also if you want to google, very very much NSFW, and be warned, they're really offensive :p).

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Outside of a Royal family or a Kennedy I can't think of anyone who has ridden so far on his father's coattails than Brian Herbert. 

• Haha 2

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Outside of a Royal family or a Kennedy I can't think of anyone who has ridden so far on his father's coattails than Brian Herbert. 

good call. brian herbert likely deserves the modern crown... figurative. previous Presidential political families such as grant and adams and taylor predate the kennedys and john adams, in particular, were not shy in promoting his theories 'bout the benefits o' inherited occupations. the thing is, john quincy actual were capable and arguable the smartest evar US President, but other family members weren't so noteworthy.  

christopher tolkien were probable a role model for brian herbert, though christopher edited posthumous works o' his father rather than trying to create anything new... am not sure if that makes christopher more or less admirable?

however, jaden smith has just gotten started in his career and he has already produced an impressive volume o' schlock-- is only in his early 20s. jaden smith still claims to be an actor and musician in spite of all evidence to contrary.

HA! Good Fun!

ps is a whole lotta college and pro football coaches who, in spite o' the ultra competitive nature o' the biz, only have their jobs 'cause o' daddy. weird.

Edited by Gromnir

Christopher Tolkien was awesome, and sought to understand, preserve and present his father's work. Brian Herbert on the other hand exploits it. I wonder if he's involved with the film? Hope not.

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 1

Now reading 

Captain Jeff;  or, Frontier life in Texas  with the Texas Rangers;  some unwritten history  and facts in the thrilling  experiences of  frontier life (1906) by [William J. Maltby]

Thomas Sowell

I've started reading The Old Republic Star Wars EU (well, Legends) books. Already done with Revan, now reading Deceived.

Eh, for all the dismay these books have caused in the KotOR fandom they're not half bad so far. But I also liked SW:TOR and as "real" fan of KotOR I or II I'm not supposed to, so what do I know. Heh.

It's a refreshing break from Hyperion, which I read before Revan:

Holderlin_Hyperion_First_Edition_Cover.j

Hard to believe Hölderlin was only 22 when he began to write the novel. Guard Dog might feel right at home with the hermit and his weariness of the world... and people. Very well worth the read, although I can't vouch for the quality of the translation.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Read Dresden Files: Peace Talks by Jim Butcher.

pt220b.jpg

Things seem to ramping up steadily, although I do not understand why Peace Talks and Battlegrounds were split in to 2 books. Peace Talks is a short book and I doubt Battlegrounds will be longer.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

6 hours ago, ShadySands said:

To misquote the movie Contact, "why sell one book when you can sell two at twice the price?"

I think the official reason was because the book got too big so Butcher reworked them into two separate books

The official reason by Jim was that they would need to price the book differently and the people who buy his books expect the price they payed for the previous books... Which I don't understand as it's more expensive to buy 2 books...

Edited by Sarex
  • Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

9 hours ago, Sarex said:

Things seem to ramping up steadily, although I do not understand why Peace Talks and Battlegrounds were split in to 2 books. Peace Talks is a short book and I doubt Battlegrounds will be longer.

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

The official reason by Jim was that they would need to price the book differently and the people who buy his books expect the price they payed for the previous books... Which I don't understand as it's more expensive to buy 2 books...

The official reason, given by Jim Butcher (in the interview below) is that the pacing of the two books together was all over the place and didn't work but by splitting them it fixes this. I suspect the pricing excuse is what his publishers cooked up.

• Thanks 1