Cinema Paradise - the Movie Thread Transformed

Amentep

I was hoping for a Chewbacca movie

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You should definitely watch 'Boy' then.

In other news all Star Wars spin off movies are on hold for now as they focus on their core movies.

A pause is a good idea, if it coincides with self reflection and an honest appraisal of what went wrong. The fundamental problem they have with SW as a franchise is that people want it to be similar to the previous movies but without being derivative, and to respect what came before without being hamstrung by it- and that is a difficult tightrope to walk. What they've done has managed to alienate a lot of people by veering from one extreme of being derivative (JJ/ TFA) to the other with TLJ, and that makes it hard for spin offs which already have innate problems from their connection to 'recent' in universe events.

In retrospect (from their perspective, I always thought it was questionable for the movies in the long term) setting the sequels so close to the originals and using Luke/ Leia/ Han is the biggest mistake, and in effect it's the same one they've made with the spin offs- having the 'big names' for continuity and recognition causes big limitations as well as giving big advantages.

Well, I enjoyed Thor: Ragnarok for what it's worth. It had some really solid moments. The lighter tone served it well, because when Thor takes things too seriously things devolve a bit. They overplayed that rock guy though.

• Like 1

They overplayed that rock guy though.

Korg was the best part. Would you like to join my revolution?

Over here. The pile of rocks waving at you. Here. Yeah, I'm actually a thing. I'm a being. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Korg. I'm kind of like the leader in here. I'm made of rocks, as you can see. But don't let that intimidate you. You don't need to be afraid unless you're made of scissors. Just a little rock-paper-scissor joke for you. This is my very good friend over here, Miek. He's an insect and has knives for hands.
  • Like 3

Wait, what? The first Thor was totally taking the piss, it was arguably the most openly comedic of the first wave of MCU films what with the whole fish out of water and overt "no longer a god" type slapstick throughout. I thought it was good fun myself (actually I've enjoyed all Thor films on a more consistent basis than I have those of any other Avenger, though it's not saying a terrible lot either).

I like Thor Ragnarok alot. I think Kate Blanchette played a perfect Hela, she played the character even better than Tom plays Loki and that's quite the feat. In my opinion the first Thors were just okay.

As far as plot, I think there's alot more detail in Ragnarok than the other two movies, alot of little details and easter eggs for fans of animated films/comics that the majority won't catch. Planet Hulk qas rendered beautifully, Red King was a great catch, Korg was a good inclusion.

Now, just waiting to see Ant-Man and The Wasp because... what's better than a 20 foot Hello Kitty PEZ dispenser? Lmao

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Korg was the best part. Would you like to join my revolution?

Over here. The pile of rocks waving at you. Here. Yeah, I'm actually a thing. I'm a being. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Korg. I'm kind of like the leader in here. I'm made of rocks, as you can see. But don't let that intimidate you. You don't need to be afraid unless you're made of scissors. Just a little rock-paper-scissor joke for you. This is my very good friend over here, Miek. He's an insect and has knives for hands.

Is it strange that a week or so later, I don't remember the name "Korg" or a "rock character" one bit, but I do remember hearing that quote, as I read it?

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, Kathleen Kennedy was George's last mistake. If it wasn't for JJ coming back I would have zero faith left in this franchise. Still not sure it has a future once he's completed his role in all this.

Edited by injurai
  • Like 1

Star Wars fans deserve abuse

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I just grew up as a kid that thought the original trilogy was cool, and experienced Star Wars entirely outside of all the hype and culturally cacophony. But they don't think about people like me...

The other thing I don't get is, if this new SW is all "SJW" and "feminist touch" driven. Then why are most of the female characters so poorly written and developed? Seriously, General Leia, Phasma, Holdo, Rose, L3-37 and Qi'ra are all really poor characters. Rey and Jyn Erso are pretty good imo, the rest are just tossed around haphazardly. Then they try to recover the narrative on social media by acting like the actresses behind them should be hearing glowing things about their characters, as if people's criticism were personal attacks on the actresses? They have the male stars (or their social media handlers at least) running crisis control and narrative management. It's all a cynical ****-show, I'm surprised Igor hasn't taken more drastic action.

• Like 1

Yeah, Kathleen Kennedy was George's last mistake. If it wasn't for JJ coming back I would have zero faith left in this franchise. Still not sure it has a future wasn't he has completed his role in this all.

Agreed.

George Lucas was pretty much always terrible. JJ is where it's at. It seems the newer Star Trek's are closer to the originals. Overall though, I'm quite happy with the newer Star Wars films. I want them to experiment and if they fail, they fail but I appreciate that fans disagree with my view point as well.

I'm curious to see what happens next within the Star Trek universe.

Rey ftw!!!!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I just grew up as a kid that thought the original trilogy was cool, and experienced Star Wars entirely outside of all the hype and culturally cacophony. But they don't think about people like me...

The other thing I don't get is, if this new SW is all "SJW" and "feminist touch" driven. Then why are most of the female characters so poorly written and developed? Seriously, General Leia, Phasma, Holdo, Rose, L3-37 and Qi'ra are all really poor characters. Rey and Jyn Erso are pretty good imo, the rest are just tossed around haphazardly. Then they try to recover the narrative on social media by acting like the actresses behind them should be hearing glowing things about their characters, as if people's criticism were personal attacks on the actresses? They have the male stars (or their social media handlers at least) running crisis control and narrative management. It's all a cynical ****-show, I'm surprised Igor hasn't taken more drastic action.

yeah, maybe it's just crappy writing for a series that got way too big for its britches past the original trilogy. terrible writing happens regardless of agenda (or lack thereof).

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

George Lucas was pretty much always terrible. JJ is where it's at. It seems the newer Star Trek's are closer to the originals.

Jar Jar's Star Trek is simply put terrible Star Trek - and if there's one thing these movies are not, it's close to the originals - unless you base all of Star Trek on Wrath of Khan, which is still a much better movie than Star Trek or Into Darkness will ever be.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Since we're talking one of my favorite subjects

Also

Deadpool 2 has now become the 3rd highest grossing R rated film of all time behind the first one and I think one of the Matrixes... Matrices? Matroxen? Matreese? Matrix movies.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

George Lucas was pretty much always terrible. JJ is where it's at. It seems the newer Star Trek's are closer to the originals.

Jar Jar's Star Trek is simply put terrible Star Trek - and if there's one thing these movies are not, it's close to the originals - unless you base all of Star Trek on Wrath of Khan, which is still a much better movie than Star Trek or Into Darkness will ever be.

I was comparing it to the 66T series, I should have clarified but you're right, Kahn was the best of them and Journey Hime was the worst. Save the humpback whales! Now, there's no way the newer Star Trek films could be worse than that :p

I watched the LAST JEDI again and I still don't see what all the hate is about.  Then again I didn't get the hate for Phantom Menace either, I think structurally TLJ is better than TPM.  And that's not saying that I don't think TJL has problems, but the fan backlash against it is, IMO, far greater than the amount of problems it has.

If anyone wants to check my Star Wars street cred, I watched the original movie in a drive-in theater on the original release.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

A while ago I watched 'Westworld' starring Yul Brynner and liked it a whole lot. I guess now it is time to watch 'Futureworld' which is a direct sequel to Westworld and I'll be damned...Yul Brynner is in it!

Didn't knew the fella was a Russian dude.

R.I.P Yul Brynner.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.