Hey you bunch of sensatinal gamers,
Our update is now live! To gain access to the Backer Beta, visit this (Forum Link) for step by step instructions. This is a Beta and will most definitely contain a few issues. Please report any issues you find here (Forum Link).
We spent a long time going over everyone's feedback from the last BB Update and changed quite a few things around. You'll notice this patch is almost entirely system changes. A full breakdown of the changes are listed below. Jump in and definitely keep the feedback coming.
Please note that older saves will not work on the latest patch! Apologies for the inconvenience.
Save File location moved
- From - %USERPROFILE%/Saved Games/Pillars of Eternity 2
- To - %USERPROFILE%/Saved Games/Pillars of Eternity II
Action Bar revision - The HUD art has been revised for the action bar. We added a bit of flair to the empower portion specifically.
Optimizations - Ongoing performance optimizations for GPU and CPU.
Smart Camera - New toggle-able camera mode that has the camera follow the players movements automatically. This option can be toggled 'on' or 'off' in the options menu.
Combat Slider - New combat slider added to the center of the HUD. You can now slow/speed up combat at your leisure ranging from very slow/slow to fast/very fast. Fast mode remains the same toggle outside of combat.
New item Highlight - Items recently picked up that haven't been inspected by the player now highlight blue in the inventory.
BB Content Changes
BB character now begins with fine leather, fine mail, and fine plate
All Grimoires in the BB now have 2 spells per level
Expanded Passive Abilities - To address feedback about the loss of Talents from PoE 1, we have added many more passive abilities to class trees and increased the number of abilities that single class characters receive at each power level (see below).
Turn-Based ship combat - Ship duels are now conducted turn-by-turn instead of round-by-round. Half and full-sail movement actions are no longer restricted in frequency.
Cannon re-balance - Cannon values have been re-balanced to make them strategic choices instead of upgrades
Single Class characters gain 2 abilities at PL increase - All single class characters will gain 2 abilities every time they achieve a new power level. This change was made to address concerns that single class characters felt like they didn't have enough options at any given character level. It also allows characters to dip into passive abilities (which have been expanded considerably) more easily.
Canceling cast doesn't take resource - Canceling an ability or item use, whether by movement, selecting another action, or simply hitting the cancel button, will not consume the resource associated with the ability. This makes changing actions much less punitive. An Interrupt will still consume the resources of an ability or item it Interrupts.
Penetration re-balance - Weapons and spells have been reorganized around two penetration categories - average and high - instead of low/average/high. "Best of" weapons and spells typically have 1 lower Penetrations compared to other weapons and spells in their penetration category.
Attribute Cap of 35 - To prevent the effects of Attributes from scaling away into infinity, they are now capped to 35. We chose this number based on both where we wanted the influence of Attributes to max out as well as what we believed was within the reach of aggressive min-maxers.
Might/Resolve Change - Strength has been reverted to Might and affects Damage, Healing, and Fortitude as it did in Pillars 1. Resolve has also been reverted to affect Deflection and Will as it did in Pillars 1. We have added an additional benefit to Resolve: reduced duration of hostile effects (3% per point) on the character (increased if it is below 10). This was done in conjunction with capping Attributes to a max of 35. This does not address the primary goal of making Resolve more appealing for casters, but we believe it does make Resolve more generally valuable for a variety of characters. It also integrates into the system using mechanics that are already well-established, which is of importance at this stage of development. Thank you to everyone for your patience as we experimented with the attribute system and for the fans for continuing to discuss and suggest ideas throughout the project.
Interrupt added to many rogue abilities - Most rogue abilities that are weapon-based attacks now Interrupt on Hit
Weapon re-balance - Across the board weapon balance
Druid Bonus Spells/Animist Subclass - Like priests, all druids now receive bonus spells at each power level. To make druids mechanically function like priests, the Animist subclass has been added and the "No Subclass" option has been removed.. Animists have no special modifiers other than access to a list of bonus spells.
Martial Tree Unlock Level Adjustments - The levels at which the martial classes access various abilities have been adjusted, both to lower the overall requirements and to make a smoother progression as the characters advance.
General Casting changes
- Shortened cast times of Very Slow and Slow
- Shortened Recovery of Slow
- Summon Weapon spells now Average cast
Food/meal pricing reworked
- Cipher spells are all faster casts/ many were tuned up
- Cipher Focus gain rate doubled
('unedited' List of specific systems check ins)
- Lagufaeth Broodmother is missing a portrait and speaker tag
- Ranga Ruanu is missing a portrait
- Some items contain missing strings
- World map doesn't have BGM
- Veen is T-posing
- Save file thumbnail is incorrect
- Tikawara is mislabeled on the world map on first load.
- Abilities and weapon proficiencies are swapped in the character sheet menu
- (Mac Only) Boarding audio repeats. Restart the client to correct this issue.
- Casters no longer passing up martial characters deflections due to Might/Resolve change (see above)
- Rogue - 'Gouging Strike' now shows appropriately sized numbers
- Corrosive Trap description now shows damage data
- Beza's corpse no longer has vision cone to detect stealth
- All Corrupted Adra Animat now all activate in the Engwithan Waystation Level Two
- Binding Mouse1 no longer locks character movement
- Gamma slider now functioning as intended
- Auto-pause descriptions now appear
- Assigning food to characters in the resting menu has been made easier
- Modals no longer duplicate on the action bar
- Can now target enemies on top of dead allies easier
I got your back