General Celebrity deaths

smjjames

Derek Fowlds died, probably best known as Bernard in Yes, Minister / Yes, Prime Minister

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 hours ago, algroth said:

Terry Jones, 77. :(

Rest in peace Terry... and now the world has one less Python 😢

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• Sad 5

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

His 13 year old daughter, Gianna, perished as well, along with 3 other passengers. RIP.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

R.I.P,Mamba

I have struggle to understand a Universe that allows the destruction of an entire planet. Which will win this endless conflict - destruction or creation? The only thing I know for certain is never to place your faith entirely on one side. Play the middle if you want to survive.

Everyone else is a fanatic. I am Gauldoth Half-Dead. Your savior.

12 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

hmm. is indeed tragic that others died, including his daughter. we also take no pleasure in knowing kobe died-- he had a long life ahead o' him and perhaps he coulda' atoned. nevertheless, is hard to forget june 30, 2003. 

even if you are utter convinced kobe were innocent o' accusations, he were a complete d-bag during his interviews with cops. threw a **** stained shirt at a female cop. mentioned how shaq had already paid over a million dollars to disgruntled women and that in retrospect kobe shoulda' done the same. told cops his rough sex antics, which left bruising and vaginal tears inconsistent with consensual sex, were just his thing, and cops could ask his mistress for corroboration. serious?

criminal case were already at jury selection when da dropped 'cause victim no longer were willing to cooperate. victim and kobe had come to a settlement in their civil case. somebody had leaked the victim's identity and the 19-year-old were getting death threats. kobe's defense team were already  making public the victim's prior sexual partners/encounters. colorado literal changed their rape shield law a couple years later 'cause o' the kobe case-- couldn't bring up prior sexual activity o' victim during trial, but the kobe team (obvious with kobe approval) did pre-trial, so...

false rape accusations do happen. they is statistical rare by almost all estimates, but it does happen. we tend to give folks benefit o' the doubt until there is more than he said, she said. even so, there were considerable physical evidence, a quasi confession and kobe were just such an a-hole during the hole kerfuffle it were difficult to keep pretending he were a swell guy.

got a portrait right next to ben roethlisberger in our rogue's gallery o' athletes who seeming got away with it.

is unfortunate kobe died, 'cause a lifetime o' good deeds is what it were take to balance the scales.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

23 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

hmm. is indeed tragic that others died, including his daughter. we also take no pleasure in knowing kobe died-- he had a long life ahead o' him .

Seriously the rest is unnecessary. It's neither time nor place for this.

• Like 1

166215__front.jpg

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

got a portrait right next to ben roethlisberger in our rogue's gallery o' athletes who seeming got away with it.

I wonder if your gallery includes O.J. Simpson? Speaking of which, wasn't it his lawyer that now defends Trump?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

3 hours ago, Skarpen said:

Seriously the rest is unnecessary. It's neither time nor place for this.

There is never a wrong time to call out misogynists and rapists. Why do you suddenly feel so protective of a celebrity?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gorth said:

There is never a wrong time to call out misogynists and rapists. Why do you suddenly feel so protective of a celebrity?

Seriously? At the day he died tragedly with his young daughter and 7 other people? A little decency and respect. If not for him then for his family and fans.

Edited by Skarpen
  • Like 1

166215__front.jpg

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

hmm. is indeed tragic that others died, including his daughter. we also take no pleasure in knowing kobe died-- he had a long life ahead o' him and perhaps he coulda' atoned. nevertheless, is hard to forget june 30, 2003. 

even if you are utter convinced kobe were innocent o' accusations, he were a complete d-bag during his interviews with cops. threw a **** stained shirt at a female cop. mentioned how shaq had already paid over a million dollars to disgruntled women and that in retrospect kobe shoulda' done the same. told cops his rough sex antics, which left bruising and vaginal tears inconsistent with consensual sex, were just his thing, and cops could ask his mistress for corroboration. serious?

criminal case were already at jury selection when da dropped 'cause victim no longer were willing to cooperate. victim and kobe had come to a settlement in their civil case. somebody had leaked the victim's identity and the 19-year-old were getting death threats. kobe's defense team were already  making public the victim's prior sexual partners/encounters. colorado literal changed their rape shield law a couple years later 'cause o' the kobe case-- couldn't bring up prior sexual activity o' victim during trial, but the kobe team (obvious with kobe approval) did pre-trial, so...

false rape accusations do happen. they is statistical rare by almost all estimates, but it does happen. we tend to give folks benefit o' the doubt until there is more than he said, she said. even so, there were considerable physical evidence, a quasi confession and kobe were just such an a-hole during the hole kerfuffle it were difficult to keep pretending he were a swell guy.

is unfortunate kobe died, 'cause a lifetime o' good deeds is what it were take to balance the scales.

I hate to say this but I had completely forgotten about that whole sorry affair. 

Didn't forget about Michael Vicks misdeeds however. I guess the level of villainy is in the eye of the beholder. Probably says something about me I guess. Something not good. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

5 hours ago, Gromnir said:

he were a complete d-bag during his interviews with cops

You say this as if this is a bad thing.  Disrespecting thugs isn't all that bad.   Am sort of surprised not seeing more people mentioning his case, though, honestly was expecting to see places like NPR or The Guardian with something related to that .   Apparently a reporter was put on leave for mentioning it, which is a bit ridiculous :

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/27/kobe-bryant-reporter-suspended-over-sexual-assault-case-tweet-washington-post

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

I always consider it poor taste to jump on somebody right after they die. I understand the desire to temper some of the praise he is getting right now, but it reflects more poorly on the living than the dead.

If Harvey Weinstein were to die tomorrow, do you think the only conversation about him should be his prestigious career as a film producer?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

I always consider it poor taste to jump on somebody right after they die. I understand the desire to temper some of the praise he is getting right now, but it reflects more poorly on the living than the dead.

if were an issue o' recreational drug use or unpaid taxes or something similar, we would agree. sexual assault? rape? am unmoved by the feelings o' fans and well wishers at this time... or anytime since 2003. 

how reflects on living? imagine how his rape victim(s,) a living person must feel. she is no doubt conflicted 'cause she took the money rather than forcing trial and now must needs listen as celebrities and Presidents lament the passing o' a great person. btw, one o' his lawyers, jeffrey scott shapiro, wrote a book and claimed other women were willing to come forward with "me too" stories right up until team kobe started attacking the the victim's reputation in public. how do the other women, most whom we assume is living, feel?

am indeed moderate disturbed by how the outpouring o' grief for kobe reflects on the living.

as gd mentioned, he forgot 'bout the incident. were 2003 after all and after 'bout a year, most o' kobe's sponsors returned and very few people bothered to mention the unfortunate incident in CO.  fact so many forgot is understandable, but is all the more reason to be mentioning... to remind the living.

7 hours ago, Gorth said:

I wonder if your gallery includes O.J. Simpson? Speaking of which, wasn't it his lawyer that now defends Trump?

o.j. is in a different wing o' the gallery. different kinda wrong and were a generational kinda trial. ben and kobe never made it to trial, but every few decades we have a court case which polarizes a nation and facts become secondary. stuff such as lizzie borden, o.j. and trump is curious. 'course lizzie and trump ain't athletes, but if not for the bone spurs, who knows what kinda sports giant trump mighta' become. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps as for gd recollecting michael vick and not kobe, am not gonna criticize. have mentioned once or twice how we worked county probation for a few years-- juvenile hall. we worked mostly security and intake, but also we were in j-unit, where the high security "kids" were held awaiting trial. j-unit kids were being held for such stuff such as multiple homicides and/or rape.

odd, but we discovered we didn't care what a person were being held for as we were able to treat 'em all the same. or rather, we were able to not care. were surprised how easy it were for us to kinda encapsulate crimes and make the offenses a non issue.

when a new resident were added to the population o' j-unit, we would read file. seemed responsible. unfortunate, we read file o' a person who had, in addition to a carjacking, done unspeakable things to multiple dogs. literal unspeakable for us as we refuse to ever discuss details. we mention 'cause we realized after reading file, we did not treat the resident same as everybody else. we were no longer unbiased and fair, though were more subtle than overt. nevertheless, we could not forget what we had read in the file. 

for us rape and murder were water off a duck's back, but graphic animal cruelty were different? might say something wrong 'bout Gromnir, but am sharing 'cause we never forgot how easily our impartiality were undercut, and were result o' harm to animals. 

Edited by Gromnir
ps added
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

17 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

but if not for the bone spurs, who knows what kinda sports giant trump mighta' become. 

HA! Good Fun!

Heck just imagine if the USFL hadn't folded. He might be running that rather than... whatever it is he's doing now.

Thomas Sowell

I don't think it's wrong to point out the bad things Kobe has done and may or may not have done but I probably would have given it a little more time. Not for Kobe though but rather his family as they didn't just lose him but they also lost a daughter/sister. If it was just Kobe then I'd say have at it.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21