General Celebrity deaths

smjjames

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Kirk Douglas, had a long run at 103 years old

• Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Sad 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Outside of his most obvious famous roles, is it wrong that my fondest memory of him is from Tough Guys? Him and Lancaster - I loved that movie when it came out, cheese and all. And dang he was already old when he made that 34 years ago!

RIP ... legendary in everything.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...

Jack Welch died.  Guess God ranked him in the bottom 5%.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

21 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Kenny Rogers

Somewhere in the darkness, the Gambler he broke even

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On this day we lost Albert Uderzo, the cartoonist behind Asterix. He will be missed. 

Goddamn ninjas are cutting onion somewhere around here.

Xa-AiPMlL8fGavXw-w8-plMX9j4-jpg.jpg?f=Wi

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I heard this yesterday and got a laugh out of it:

"Kenny Rogers ducking out in the middle of the COVID-19 Apocalypse is the ultimate 'know when to fold 'em' moment!" 

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell