General Celebrity deaths

smjjames

34 minutes ago, algroth said:

Robert Forster

And on the same day that El Camino was released.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

• 1 month later...

D. C. Fontana writer and story editor for a number of television shows over the years, but maybe best remembered for her work for Star Trek over the Original, Animated and Next Generation shows.  I just finished watching THE FANTASTIC JOURNEY series she was story editor for.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• Sad 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I remember Rene best from Benson. I thought he was the funniest thing ever in that show, at the time, the way he straight-man bounced off Robert Guillaume. His DS9 chr. was one of the things I liked about that show.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

22 hours ago, Malcador said:

whenever we hear o' somebody dying from metastatic lung cancer, we cannot help but recall the old yul brynner commercial

am having multiple recollections o' rené on benson with a cigarette in his hand.

maybe smoking were not a cause o' rené's cancer. dunno. nevertheless reminds us just how many has died from the habit.

even so, most memorable rené moment for us were from mash

so it goes

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great, means they'll be playing a lot of Rush on the radio here.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wasn't a huge Rush person, outside of those few earlyish hits, but another one of those "my childhood past is dying" reminders. RIP  :(

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"Neil! Play the Drum Solo of Life!"

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Of the JRR-Christopher books, I only ever read Hurin, which was pretty messed up but decent. Never was the biggest Tolkien prose fan, but nevertheless RIP.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.