General Celebrity deaths

smjjames

Pulled from the last couple posts of the 2017 one which bled into 2018

Since nobody is going to post one for 2018, I will.

Darlanne Fluegel (To Live and Die in L.A., Once Upon a Time in America, Tough Guys, Battle Beyond the Stars, Running Scared) passed away after a long battle with early onset Alzheimer's.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/darlanne-fluegel-dead-live-die-la-running-scared-actress-was-64-1071449

90s Child Star Jon Paul Steuer Dead at Age 33

He played Worf's son, Alexander Rozhenko, on TNG

Jerry Van Dyke

John Young, the US longest serving astronaut has passed away at age 87: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/john-young-moon-walker-and-nasas-longest-serving-astronaut-dies-at-87/2018/01/06/5ef1d15c-f313-11e7-b390-a36dc3fa2842_story.html?utm_term=.7252ebe8f89a

Young joined NASA from the US Navy. He started out as a Fire control Officer on a destroyer during the Korean War. Later he went to flight training, became a fighter pilot, and eventually a squadron commander. He retired from the Navy as a Captain and joined the Astronaut Corps in "Group 2" for Project Gemini. He flew as the pilot of Gemini 3, the Commander of Gemini 10, the Command Module Pilot on Apollo 10 and finally he landed on the moon as the commander of Apollo 16. Later he commanded the first Space Shuttle flight and then STS-9 two years later. 

God Speed Captain Young. We thank you for your service.

512694291.jpg?uuid=_EsBkOu7EeGoC5-JhWLQE

• Like 24

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My distinct Cranberries memory: Had them on my walkman on the bus trip over to my first X-Country race my freshman year. Won my Frosh/Soph race. Didn't win another one that year...but then again, I never played my No Need to Argue cassette again.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

RIP Bradford Dillman - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bradford-dillman-dead-actor-compulsion-way-we-were-was-87-1075818

He was in a lot of movies (like Compulsion, with Dean Stockwell, or The Iceman Cometh) and Broadway (O'Neil's Long Journey into Night) but also was a perennial guest star in TV shows through the 60s and 70s (including a meglomaniac in a Man from UNCLE two-parter and as a victim in a memorable Columbo).

And RIP Peter Wyngarde, star of TV's Jason King (and appeared on a number of ITV shows as a guest star) and the movie Burn, Witch! Burn!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wizard of Earthsea was the first good book I read and it is still one of my favourites.  ;(

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/johann-johannsson-visionary-composer-behind-sicario-dies-at-48-1083619

This is shocking, and truly sad. Johann Johannsson was one of the most interesting and promising score composers at the present time. This is a huge loss, and at a relatively young age too. R.I.P.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

From the sounds of it, a heart attack.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Am I only one who finds this topic kinda morbid?

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Am I only one who finds this topic kinda morbid?

Eh, it's like an obituary page. And it's always guaranteed to be a rolling thread as people die and what not.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

One forum I go to (about film) has an entire folder of threads dedicated to memorializing those who've passed away.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man